A Different Look

MRM33064

It's one thing to say that the Bills have not been in the playoffs since 1999.

Somehow, it's another to say that after we lost the playoff game in 1999, we missed the playoffs in 2000, then (take a deep breath):

... we missed again, and

... we missed again, and

... we missed again, and

... we missed again, and

... we missed again, and

... we missed again, and

... we missed again, and

... we started out 4-0, got to 5-1, then collapsed and .... missed again?

Combine that stellar record with a cold-weather climate in a "rust-belt" town, a highly questionable scouting and personnel department, and a 90-year old owner that elects to put his marketing guru in charge of football operations (sort of) while maintaining a reputation for, let's say, "frugality" and if you're an agent representing a quality coach, coaching prospect, player, or player prospect, how high are the Bills on your list?

If the Bills are ever going to get out of this heinous run, it almost looks as though it's going to have to be the result of a wild stroke of good luck - like having one of our inept-to-date personnel folks magically morph into the next Scott Pioli or Bill Polian.

I've lived in Dolphin-land for several years now, and there's just no comparison between Finfans and Bills fans, at any level. The Bills fans and the entire WNY community are special people, and incredibly loyal and knowledgable fans, they just deserve so much more ... but the road back to the Kelly era just isn't easy to spot right now, to say the least.

I just cant stand to see this city made a laughingstock for one more reason. I think thats what its about for half of the fans too. I grew up a cleveland fan and played a decade of football in the gridiron paradise that is northwestern Ohio, and I just couldn't believe what they did to to that city when they moved their team.

We have a great thing here in buffalo, and I think were all getting the feeling our team and the league dont really get that. If you ask the average fan in america what they think of the bills, they will say they are a classy team and maybe their second or third favorite team. The No Fun League will look ridiculous if we lose our team.

I just cant stand to see this city made a laughingstock for one more reason. I think thats what its about for half of the fans too. I grew up a cleveland fan and played a decade of football in the gridiron paradise that is northwestern Ohio, and I just couldn't believe what they did to to that city when they moved their team.

We have a great thing here in buffalo, and I think were all getting the feeling our team and the league dont really get that. If you ask the average fan in america what they think of the bills, they will say they are a classy team and maybe their second or third favorite team. The No Fun League will look ridiculous if we lose our team.

Again point the finger at Ralph Wilson. I got everything I needed to know about that guy from the Sully article. Ive questioned Ralph Wilson for the last 3 years, just glad everyone sees what I seen 3 years ago.....an old fart who cares more about his wallet then the relationship with WNY people......

What I really can't understand about Buffalo fans is how much the appreciated how great the offensive line was in the early 1990's....now many (not all) just want to play QB shuffle and ignore how bad the line is. Maybe today's fan is so caught up in fantasy football that they don't know about the existence of an offensive line.

Also, the talk about players like Aaron Schobel. He is a good player, no doubt- but elite? These people must have never seen Bruce Smith or Bryce Paup.

Personally, I wish we had an Ed Phillion caliber player to put next to Stroud, much less a Ted Washington or at least Fred Smerlas.

You hit on part of it, Adam -- the fanbase has changed. However, I'm not sure the majority of fans back then could have told you the names of the starting front five; then, as now, the bulk of the attention goes to the skill positions. Remember Kelly riding into town in a limo ... and Hull following behind in the the equipment truck?

You hit on part of it, Adam -- the fanbase has changed. However, I'm not sure the majority of fans back then could have told you the names of the starting front five; then, as now, the bulk of the attention goes to the skill positions. Remember Kelly riding into town in a limo ... and Hull following behind in the the equipment truck?

The good old days