2007 & 2008 Drafts

I know they say it typically takes a few years before you can judge draft classes but if you look at the 17 picks we have made in the last two years here is what is salvageable:

Makes

Lynch - Workhorse who earns every yard he gets behind big slow unathletic line

Edwards - Has had ups and downs but considering he is a 3rd rounder he's not Chris Ellis like

Poz - Gets a lot of hype in town and is good not great

McKelvin - Already a great returner (because we need more of those) but needs to develop as a corner

Misses

Hardy - A 2nd round pick should contribute more then a 7th rounder (S. Johnson), looks lost out there

Ellis - 3rd rounder that has made no impact

Wright - 2007 4th rounder, out of NFL

No one selected beyond round 3 in either of these drafts has made any significant impact on this team.

Overall we have made 17 picks in these two years and of those 17, I believe the four I mentioned have a possible future. Two of those were top 15 picks and at the very least those picks should be quality players.

The problem I see with this team is the College and Pro Personal Departments. It goes without saying that we have to draft better players. Dick Jauron has his short comings but as they say you cannot make chicken salad out of.....

Hardy could well break out next year. I'm not giving up on him yet. Soon, maybe, but not yet. Schouman has shown some signs of life as a tight end - he could be the best one on our roster, though that's not saying much (paging Michael Gaines). John Wendling is a contributor on special teams. Steve Johnson could be a solid depth player and Bowen got hurt in preseason. Even Derek Fine shows signs of life.

But a team isn't expected to make the playoffs on the backs of its rookies. Jauron's go enough veterans to make a run. Or, you know, a touchdown more than once a month.

I agree, it is way too early to give up on Hardy...but all of this goes back to coaching/managment. How can guys like Pozluszny be expected to succeed so quickly, when the talent around them is so inconisistant and mediocre? IMO, the Bills linbacking core is pretty sub-par...they haven't had quality depth at the position is some time...our best linebacker may be the guy the Bills decided to stick on the IR at the begining of the season...this coaching staff just doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to develop talent. When young guys get a chance, it is normally because there have been injuries, and they are stuck into a situation where they in over their head...

I know they say it typically takes a few years before you can judge draft classes but if you look at the 17 picks we have made in the last two years here is what is salvageable:

Makes

Lynch - Workhorse who earns every yard he gets behind big slow unathletic line

Edwards - Has had ups and downs but considering he is a 3rd rounder he's not Chris Ellis like

Poz - Gets a lot of hype in town and is good not great

McKelvin - Already a great returner (because we need more of those) but needs to develop as a corner

Misses

Hardy - A 2nd round pick should contribute more then a 7th rounder (S. Johnson), looks lost out there

Ellis - 3rd rounder that has made no impact

Wright - 2007 4th rounder, out of NFL

No one selected beyond round 3 in either of these drafts has made any significant impact on this team.

Overall we have made 17 picks in these two years and of those 17, I believe the four I mentioned have a possible future. Two of those were top 15 picks and at the very least those picks should be quality players.

The problem I see with this team is the College and Pro Personal Departments. It goes without saying that we have to draft better players. Dick Jauron has his short comings but as they say you cannot make chicken salad out of.....

You have to put some responsibility on the coaching staff to develop these young players. Could it be that these coaches are not good at developing talent? You could find a lot of evidence to support that.