Last known FACTS re: Shane Matthews

mary owen

2002: Opened season by leading Redskins' 31-23 victory Sept. 8 vs. Arizona, passing 28-for-40 for 327 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT … Threw TD passes vs. Arizona of 26 yards to Kevin Lockett, 43 yards to Rod Gardner and 17 yards to Derrius Thompson, and won NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors … Started in Monday night loss Sept. 16 vs. Philadelphia (10-for-22 passing for 62-0-1), but sustained a shoulder injury and did not play in second half … Returned to start in loss Sept. 22 at San Francisco, passing 17-for-28 for 169 yards with 19-yard TD to TE Zeron Flemister and 0 INTs … Surrendered starting job for Games 4-6, as Danny Wuerffel took No. 1 spot, but Wuerffel was then injured and was replaced by Patrick Ramsey … Matthews was re-inserted as starter for Game 7, and led Oct. 27 win vs. Indianapolis with 17-for-35 passing for 210 yards, 2 TDs and no INTs, tossing TDs of 33 yards to Chris Doering and 9 yards to Darnerien McCants … Started Nov. 3 at Seattle, and led Redskins back to 4-4 record in a 14-3 win, throwing for TDs of 19 yards to McCants and 11 yards to Gardner, while completing 10-of-27 for 114 yards with 1 INT … Started in Nov. 10 loss to Jacksonville, tying career high of 50 passes while completing 27 for 256-1-2 … Started Nov. 17 loss at N.Y. Giants, passing 15-of-35 for 113-2-1.

I say he did pretty damn good in his last season of action. I would venture to guess he had less to work with offensively. Let's give him a shot. Why is Drew "untouchable" when it comes to benching. He certainly isn't in the pocket.

I say he did pretty damn good in his last season of action. I would venture to guess he had less to work with offensively. Let's give him a shot. Why is Drew "untouchable" when it comes to benching. He certainly isn't in the pocket.

86515[/snapback]

Why is Drew untouchable? Because he was a #1 pick overall, and the Bills traded a #1 pick for him. That's the same logic why Shane Matthews is NOT playing. He was unsigned when we got him, (as logic would dictate...we couldn't sign him otherwise) so we assume he must not be any good.

There are few people (Campy) on this board who think the earth would split open and swallow the Bills if Drew was benched. I think there is a larger fear that Matthews would outplay Bledsoe.

PTR

Why is Drew untouchable?  Because he was a #1 pick overall, and the Bills traded a #1 pick for him.  That's the same logic why Shane Matthews is NOT playing.  He was unsigned when we got him, (as logic would dictate...we couldn't sign him otherwise) so we assume he must not be any good. 

There are few people (Campy) on this board who think the earth would split open and swallow the Bills if Drew was benched.  I think there is a larger fear that Matthews would outplay Bledsoe.

PTR

86528[/snapback]

I'd be willing to wager a good deal of my paycheck that Shane would have a better game than Drew has all year. just call it a feeling.

Why is Drew untouchable?  Because he was a #1 pick overall, and the Bills traded a #1 pick for him.  That's the same logic why Shane Matthews is NOT playing.  He was unsigned when we got him, (as logic would dictate...we couldn't sign him otherwise) so we assume he must not be any good. 

There are few people (Campy) on this board who think the earth would split open and swallow the Bills if Drew was benched.  I think there is a larger fear that Matthews would outplay Bledsoe.

PTR

86528[/snapback]

also, Mike Williams was a 1st round pick as well, but that didn't stop Mularky from benching him. Remember how much praise our new coach got for doing that? seems like a long time ago.

I'd be willing to wager a good deal of my paycheck that Shane would have a better game than Drew has all year. just call it a feeling.

86534[/snapback]

If SM was QB against the Ravens, the Bills would've won that game IMO.

PTR

86528[/snapback]

That fear (of Shane outplaying Drew) is exactly the problem with this team. Mularkey cant/wont make decisions that will make Tom D. look bad. If he benched Drew and Shane went 4-1 as a starter, than it becomes obvious that we stuck with Drew too long, a GM mistake....You dont want to pay a BACKUP QB 8 mill a year do you?

As soon as you start questioning the moves of a GM, you are begging for problem if you are a HC. Mularkey is too new to do anything other than what he is told right now. And if I am not mistaken, wasn't MM in pittsburgh during the entire TD/Cowher debacle? MM does not want to get into that kind of situation half way through his first year as HC...

Looks to me like Drew is the man for the entire season, with JP getting spot duty in mop up time after the Bills are down by 30 with a quarter to go, similar to what Travis got last year....That would pi$$ me off big time. JP needs to play so next year isn't a write-off also...

That fear (of Shane outplaying Drew) is exactly the problem with this team. Mularkey cant/wont make decisions that will make Tom D. look bad. If he benched Drew and Shane went 4-1 as a starter, than it becomes obvious that we stuck with Drew too long, a GM mistake....You dont want to pay a BACKUP QB 8 mill a year do you?

As soon as you start questioning the moves of a GM, you are begging for problem if you are a HC. Mularkey is too new to do anything other than what he is told right now. And if I am not mistaken, wasn't MM in pittsburgh during the entire TD/Cowher debacle? MM does not want to get into that kind of situation half way through his first year as HC...

Looks to me like Drew is the man for the entire season, with JP getting spot duty in mop up time after the Bills are down by 30 with a quarter to go, similar to what Travis got last year....That would pi$$ me off big time. JP needs to play so next year isn't a write-off also...

86736[/snapback]

if what you say is true, than ToDo (Donohoe) is a bigger dummy than I already think he is. Because, you see, by KEEPING Drew in there, he's risking his job. He's already made himself look bad as a GM. The GM that can adjust and own up to mistakes is the guy who sticks around longer and is more successful.

But I can certainly see why MM would take the approach you describe.