How long until we experience a cyber 'Pearl Harbor'?

SD Jarhead

Just a little side note for some of you.

Federal Law and Military Procurement Rules and Regulations prohibit use of materials which originate from or are manufactured in Non-Nato Countries from being used in Classified Systems.

The chips in the $699 Laptop you got on sale at Best Buy are definitely not the same as the chips in the $(Classified) Laptop being used by the Engineering Officer of the Watch on a Nuclear Submarine.

And as far as the cyber-war fears are concerned, remember one thing, a computer has to be connected to a network in order to hack into that network. Ya can't always get there from here...

Just a little side note for some of you.

Federal Law and Military Procurement Rules and Regulations prohibit use of materials which originate from or are manufactured in Non-Nato Countries from being used in Classified Systems.

The chips in the $699 Laptop you got on sale at Best Buy are definitely not the same as the chips in the $(Classified) Laptop being used by the Engineering Officer of the Watch on a Nuclear Submarine.

And as far as the cyber-war fears are concerned, remember one thing, a computer has to be connected to a network in order to hack into that network. Ya can't always get there from here...

Are you referring to the undersea fiber lines? I still wonder who was behind those lines being cut a few months ago. But if not, then I'm unsure what you're referring to...

Are you referring to the undersea fiber lines? I still wonder who was behind those lines being cut a few months ago. But if not, then I'm unsure what you're referring to...

I know this is totally a different question... But, you brought up undersea fiber lines... When they lay these cables, do they take into consideration say the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and plate tectonics? Over the course of many years, do things get stretched, squeezed, pulled, or whatever?

Interesting:

Map of Undesea Fiber Lines

??

China has mapped our electric grid across the country and knows how to turn it off at will (they're responsible for two major outages). They've also penetrated our military network system numerous times over.

You don't think we know how to do that to China?

And I'm not just talking about our non-secure network. They've hacked the Secretary of Commerce's computer.

You sure about that?

We only vaguely know how many major corporations have been compromised because they don't let it out publicly because of the embarassment.

I want to believe we're doing the same thing to them, but they seem to be stealing our secrets at will.

The only secure computer is one that is not connected to a network and locked in a room that no one in the world has access to.

You don't think we know how to do that to China?

You sure about that?

The only secure computer is one that is not connected to a network and locked in a room that no one in the world has access to.

Steely, I am sure that our Sipr Net has been compromised on at least one occasion.

As far as businesses are concerned, think about this- if you're an E-commerce company and hackers infiltrate your network demanding money or else they will release customer info, make the breach public, etc. don't you think that 100% of the companies are going to pay up to avoid the embarassment and worse, the loss of confidence in their security?

My brother in law owns a network security company and attends Defcon in Vegas every year. He shares stories of how saavy the hackers are. The whole biometrics technology from a few years ago that 'they' said couldn't be hacked or counterfeited? Hacked. As I'm sure you know, as soon as we build a better mousetrap, they build a smarter mouse.

I do have faith and confidence in our abilities, but the Chinks have some pretty smart MF'ers, and a whole pool of billions to choose from. I remember the comparison in Friedman's "World is Flat" book that if you're a one in a million genius here, there's 325 of you here. In China there's 1321 people like you.

At the end of the day, it may not be a state sponsored attack, but a criminal organization with state backing.

And hear me clearly- All I'm saying is this is something we need to be concerned about as these stories become more and more common.