Timeline

Casey D

Although the veracity of the WH is not in question, there are problems with the WH timeline on the missing weapons. The WH relies on an NBC report of April 10 2004 that the weapons were already gone by that time. That is what CNN is reporting. Other sources show, however, that US troops reached Al Qaqaa in March, and the weapons were there. That is why NBC itself is not reporting the story that CNN is reporting.

At that point(March 2004), the site was not secured. When troops returned in April, the weapons were gone. But as the WH has also said, this is no big deal anyway, there are lots of weapons in Iraq, so I guess this is OK.

Although the veracity of the WH is not in question, there are problems with the WH timeline on the missing weapons.  The WH relies on an NBC report of April 10 2004 that the weapons were already gone by that time.  That is what CNN is reporting.  Other sources show, however, that US troops reached Al Qaqaa in March, and the weapons were there. That is why NBC itself is not reporting the story that CNN is reporting.

At that point(March 2004), the site was not secured.  When troops returned in April, the weapons were gone.  But as the WH has also said, this is no big deal anyway, there are lots of weapons in Iraq, so I guess this is OK.

85815[/snapback]

Although I am technologically challenged to provide a link to MSNBC, here is a quote from its website for those who are interested:

"At the Pentagon, an official who monitors developments in Iraq said U.S. led coalition troops had searched Al Qaqaa in the immediate aftermath of the March 2003 invasion and confirmed the explosives were intact. Thereafter the site was not secured by U.S. forces, the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity."