2 questions about the pats*

Ramius

1. Is there any reason as to why none of the pats* captains wear the "C" on the jersey? Or is it just more or belichick's arrogance/middle finger to the leage mentality?

2. How much will the pats* get when they trade cassel in the offseason? I have a bad feeling some dumbass team will fork over a #1 for Cassel, because the pats* always seem to get the better of teams in trades. Its as if GMs get hypnotized when dealing with the pats* and just start forking over draft picks for mediocre players.

1. Is there any reason as to why none of the pats* captains wear the "C" on the jersey? Or is it just more or belichick's arrogance/middle finger to the leage mentality?

Goodell's thinking behind the "C" was that certain players should be designated as captains to take responsibility for the team's behavior in light of the numerous player arrests. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Patriots haven't really had a problem with players getting arrested or otherwise getting into trouble. And since they're such a veteran-heavy team, the might just have thought it was unnecessary to single out a few players as leaders.

quote from the Browns' weekly release:

Each NFL club will have team captains wear a captain patch on their uniform.

The idea came from NFL players during a meeting of Commissioner Roger

Goodell’s new Player Advisory Council last season. The purpose of the program

is to support and recognize the importance of team leadership through the role

of the captains. Captains traditionally serve as a link between players, coaches

and management to help foster cohesion within the teams.

Some teams don't wear the patch; not sure about this year, but I know the Pats weren't the only ones to forswear it last season.

Edit: last year, Baltimore, Green Bay, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Philly, and Washington all named their captains on a week-by-week basis. Haven't seen the list for this season.

If Cassel keeps progressing from here on out the Pats will have a very valuable commodity on their hands. Not only would he be valuable insurance in case Brady isn't 100% next year but he'd also likely command serious and significant interest from QB needy teams out there. If Brady gets back to his old self my guess is the Pats would franchise Cassel and trade him. The Pats are in excellent cap shape to absorb the tag hit on Cassel if only temporarily until he's traded.