Strength and Conditioning

zonabb

OK, I recall Ruben Brown last year on the radio talking about how the Bills have had strength and conditioning issues since Rusty Jones left and how when he was with the Bears that injuries and conditioning were not major issues because the work Jones did.

Here the Bills are, injury-riddled again. Could it be that poor strength and ocnditioning programming and coaching (and that includes dietary issues) could be leading to injuries, especially issues of strains, separtions, tears, and other muscle and tendon strenght related isse. Seems like this team that last two years has had more than the average number of injuries. After a while, you have to question whether it's merely bad luck as some would argue, or whether it is really the result of something else.

I guess I'm thinking that broken bones and concussions are more likely to be chalked up as bad luck or "part of the game" and things like muscle tears (groins, quads, etc) and shoulder separations are related to strength and conditioning.

And the rash of foot and ankle injuries begs the question: is there an equipment or field issue here? Youboty, Schobel and Reed are all out with foot/ankle injuries.

I'm not looking for an analysis of the Bears injuries since Rusty Jones started there. Unless of course it's a side by side analysis that concludes that either:

A. The Bears have suffered less injuries than the Bills since Rusty Jones arrived, thereby lending credibility to Brown's assessment.

B. The Bills have suffered less than the Bears since Jones departed, thereby negating Brown.

C. They suffer the same, which would indicate that the Bills S&G program and coach is as successful as Jones (who is universally deemed one of the best)

Also wanted to add that the OL seems to get blown away, despite being the largest in the NFL. Could they be big but weak and lacking conditioning? Fat by itself doesn't make a good lineman (see: Williams, Mike). Same with the DL.

Just looking for someone to chime in that might have more insight than opinion.

OK, I recall Ruben Brown last year on the radio talking about how the Bills have had strength and conditioning issues since Rusty Jones left and how when he was with the Bears that injuries and conditioning were not major issues because the work Jones did.

Here the Bills are, injury-riddled again.

Eh - less than most.

Here's the team-by-team of players on IR:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/injuries

And now you see why the Titans are the best in the NFL........HEALTH! Once Collins gets hurt and Young has to go back in they will lose a few games.

:thumbsup:

Teams with large numbers on the IR list tend to take it twice in the neck. It's bad to lose some starters, but as the list mounts, the special teams folks, the back-up players drop out. You raid the PS, perhaps they start to get injured. You start to pick up street FAs - problem is, you start backfilling with players foreign to your system, players without benefit of practicing with the team...sometime having to put them into the starting 22.

im not looking up my post history but i know ive posted the following at least 10 times:

The biggest mistake that came out of the Mularky era was letting Rusty Jones go

since then, we've been killed with injuries, lack of stamina in the second half, and our injured are slow to heal. thanks mike! you prick!