When did the conservative right go wrong?

Been reading quite a bit lately about the demise of the republican party and have heard many different opinions on when it decided to leave mainstream America and mutant into something completely foreign and hideous....much like Rupert Murdoch. Viewpoints vary from a certain earmarked republican bill stuffed with goodies for good senators from red states failing back in late '05, to the reaction to Katrina, to the outing of a CIA agent and violations of civil liberties to Tom Delay and Abramoff, to Gonzo and Foley to....whatever?

I think all that misses the point. Fact is righteous repubs still yearn for the daze of Ronnie Raygun and therefore have yet to come up with any remotely new or progressive idea that strikes a chord with mainstream America in the 21st century.

Watch the tsunami live on Nov. 4th.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been reading quite a bit lately about the demise of the republican party and have heard many different opinions on when it decided to leave mainstream America and mutant into something completely foreign and hideous....much like Rupert Murdoch. Viewpoints vary from a certain earmarked republican bill stuffed with goodies for good senators from red states failing back in late '05, to the reaction to Katrina, to the outing of a CIA agent and violations of civil liberties to Tom Delay and Abramoff, to Gonzo and Foley to....whatever?

I think all that misses the point. Fact is righteous repubs still yearn for the daze of Ronnie Raygun and therefore have yet to come up with any remotely new or progressive idea that strikes a chord with mainstream America in the 21st century.

Watch the tsunami live on Nov. 4th.

When did America turn into a bunch of left leaning pansies?

When did America turn into a bunch of left leaning pansies?

In the 60's mainly due to the Viet Nam war. Actually the party of JFK was more like the Republican party of today. The Dems have been invaded by the ultra libs, and the Dems of yesteryear have more or less turned in to the Repubs of today. JKF was more conservative leaming than Pres Bush.

Conservatives and Republicans are not necessarily from the same family tree. As a former Republican, my take is the party started to lose its way when the Karl Rove's of the world crafted a winning strategy that legitimized/brought into the tent the social conservatives (who were always out there, but had been largely ignored by the more traditional fiscal conservative/social moderate wing of the party).

Sort of like kudzu or zebra mussels, in a way...

Conservatives and Republicans are not necessarily from the same family tree. As a former Republican, my take is the party started to lose its way when the Karl Rove's of the world crafted a winning strategy that legitimized/brought into the tent the social conservatives (who were always out there, but had been largely ignored by the more traditional fiscal conservative/social moderate wing of the party).

Sort of like kudzu or zebra mussels, in a way...

Agree 100% I was a solid republican until the 2000 election after that and the work of Cheney and Rove decided it was time to end my party affiliation after Mccain chose rove to work on his campaign and than over the edge when sister sarah was brought forward.

Agree 100% I was a solid republican until the 2000 election after that and the work of Cheney and Rove decided it was time to end my party affiliation after Mccain chose rove to work on his campaign and than over the edge when sister sarah was brought forward.

So you totally jumped ship and went the other way? That's like being married for twenty years and deciding to come out of the closet because all of a sudden, your gay?

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a liberal say they "used" to be republicans! :nana:

In the 60's mainly due to the Viet Nam war. Actually the party of JFK was more like the Republican party of today. The Dems have been invaded by the ultra libs, and the Dems of yesteryear have more or less turned in to the Repubs of today. JKF was more conservative leaming than Pres Bush.

On certain things, but not economic and labor. On the military, Yes, now the Dems are split just like the Republicans.

So you totally jumped ship and went the other way? That's like being married for twenty years and deciding to come out of the closet because all of a sudden, your gay?

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a liberal say they "used" to be republicans! :nana:

Common to the light, it is a long process, but you can make it back from the Dark Side! :w00t:

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a liberal say they "used" to be republicans! :devil:

Yep, the world is only black and white, folks... :blush:

Yep, the world is only black and white, folks... :devil:

I have a hard time believing a person used to belong to one party, then (fill in the bblank) ran for office so now I'm voting for(fill in the blank).

For someone to say they are jumping ship because Sarah Palin is running for VP is absurd. If you give up your beliefs that fast, how strong were your beliefs in the first place.

I think this is a worthy discussion without all the name calling. I am a conservative with libertarian instincts who doesn't think that we've seen anything remotely resembling conservative policy from the Republicans for the last eight years. I think that while the Republicans had Congress they became (more) corrupt and squandered an opportunity to keep GW in check. They, like the Democrats, protect those who are found to be corrupt and weaken their standing with the American People.

That is also why I am concerned about the Dem's dominating the Executive and Legislative branch. I think their ideas are horrible and just plain wrong and am concerned about how much damage they can do in two years. And, yes, they are just as corrupt as the Republicans.

To be frank, I think the Iraq War, while I clearly could see the rationale for going there, was mishandled badly by Rummy, Rove and Wolfboy. GW took their advice and therefore he is responsible. But as I've opined in other threads, we broke it, we bought it and must finish with honor and dignity intact. This has turned out to be a mistake of colossal proportion that didn't have to be this bad. The irony here is that I'm sure McCain wouldn't have mishandled things as bad as GW and was vocal about his f-ups.

At the end of the day, I think Republicans have shot themselves in the foot. I am a fan of Jim Webb, the Democrat Senator from Virginia. I think he gets it. I don't agree with all of his ideas, but overall like his approach and integrity.

Sometimes we get what we ask for. I'm afraid that's exactly what's going to happen if the Messiah gets elected...

I have a hard time believing a person used to belong to one party, then (fill in the bblank) ran for office so now I'm voting for(fill in the blank).

For someone to say they are jumping ship because Sarah Palin is running for VP is absurd. If you give up your beliefs that fast, how strong were your beliefs in the first place.

Strong enough to believe that the leader of your party cared enough about his country and the institution of the Presidency to not select her?