Ko Simpson

I really like Ko Simpson. I thought he was a steal in the draft 2 years ago; I remember reading about him going as a potential 1st rounder. I loved the guy his rookie year, thought he actually played better than Donte (BLASPHEMY! I know). I was real sad when he got hurt last year.

I understand the Bills had a strategy for this game...they didn't like the size mismatches between Gates and our secondary, and believed Scott would be better suited to go up against him, since he's 6'1 220. I've liked Scott too, he was good in Atlanta and was real surprised when we picked him up. Last year he was good for one or two great tackles in a game, usually for a loss.

But what does this REALLY mean for Ko? I know he had a nagging injury from before the bye, and he is a lot smaller than Scott. But I don't think any player would be too pleased when he is told by coaches they are going to bench him because of size and matchup reasons, not because of past performance.

Do you guys think he has played well this year? Do you think the coaches might not think he's playing up to his potential? I am under the impression that he has been pretty good, solid but not spectacular. It obviously takes some time to come back to your old self when an injury keeps you out a whole season, and some of you might think it has shown.

Remember, he is really in only his second year in the league, so there is room for improvement. I hope this benching did really piss him off, and lights a fire under him to rise up to be better than just a solid player. Your impressions/thoughts?

I tried searching this subject, and couldn't find anything on Ko, so if there is already a topic, I am sorry a hundred times over.

I don't think so.

I believe this is the perfect example of the coaching staff trying to use the best personnel on hand to match up against the opponent. Namely, Fewell and Jauron saw Scott being a better match-up against Antonio Gates because of his size. Next week against Miami, who knows what kind of formation they will want to use to combat what they perceive to be Miami's top weapon(s).

The idea of using all 45 guys that dress that day in a specific role is something that the Patriots have worked to their advantage the past several years. It's good to see the Bills doing the same.

Ko has had trouble staying healthy, unfortunately. I still think he has great talent and potential. Remember, he has an SEC pedigree, where he took home an SEC Defensive Player of the Year award.

Ko needs to keep working on his game. He hasn't quite shown the range you would like from your FS but he also hasn't made too many glaring mistakes.

I think his not starting on Sunday had more to do with his sore hammy, not necessarily a sizing matchup.

Kind of accurate but the wrong award. He won the SEC Defensive Rookie of the Year...not player of the year but still mighty impressive in arguably the best conference in the nation. He did win a few Defensive Player of the Week awards though.

Link: bottom of this scout profile: http://southcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=184&a...amp;nid=2110804

I agree with your guys assessments. I think it might have been more about his pulled hammy (and subsequently lack of range because of it) than because of personnel. That being said, props to Perry and Dick and the rest of the coaching staff for knowing their players, understanding their strengths and weaknesses, and having the balls (and the locker room's support) to tell a guy who has started every game he's played that he needs to take a seat for the betterment of the team for a week. Pretty amazing, when you think of it. How many other teams, with their ego's and poor character filled locker rooms, would be able to tell a sold vet to take a seat without causing an uproar? Maybe I'm exaggerating this point, but I don't think you can name too many.

In addition, we've know proved that we have excellent safety depth, along with a crazy Donte Whitner who can apparently play every secondary position on the field - still can't believe how amazing that is! Having Scott play only forces Miami coaches and the rest of our opponents to take a look at another player in an attempt to find his tendencies/weaknesses.

Hats off to the coaching staff! But I do still hope that this pisses of Ko in a good way, makes him never to want to come of the field again.