BUF Rush OFF

tornado681

The theme of the season thus far for BUF's O-line has been something like this: good pass blocking and subpar run blocking. I was at the game yesterday and after Lynchs 9 yd TD run, i thought that it seems BUF runs much better when inside the opponents 25 then when not. So rather than making this anecdotal statement, lets back it up with some stats.

Through 6 games, BUF is averaging 3.6 yd/carry on 165 attempts. I went through the stats for each and documented each running play BUF ran inside the opponents 25 yard line. Through 6 games, they have run the ball 25 times for 118 yds, which works out to a 4.7 yd/carry.

Lynchs numbers: 16 for 76; 4.75 yd/carry

Jacksons numbers: 8 for 40; 5.0 yd/carry

other (Losmans) numbers: 1 for 2; 2.0 yd/carry

So, BUFs yd/carry average is over 1 yard/carry higher inside the opponets 25. DEN has the best yard per carry average in the NFL at guess what? 4.7 yd/carry.

Conclusions: BUF runs the ball much better inside the opponents 25, and their yard per carry average within this region ties them with the top overall rushing team in the AFN (DEN). This, IMO, is the area when a team needs to be a good rushing team. You always hear the saying thrown around that good teams run the ball effectively in the red zone. It appears BUF is doing that. Perhaps we are being somewhat harsh on the BUF running game since they are running it well inside the OPP 25.

The question is why are we running it so much better?

The theme of the season thus far for BUF's O-line has been something like this: good pass blocking and subpar run blocking. I was at the game yesterday and after Lynchs 9 yd TD run, i thought that it seems BUF runs much better when inside the opponents 25 then when not. So rather than making this anecdotal statement, lets back it up with some stats.

Through 6 games, BUF is averaging 3.6 yd/carry on 165 attempts. I went through the stats for each and documented each running play BUF ran inside the opponents 25 yard line. Through 6 games, they have run the ball 25 times for 118 yds, which works out to a 4.7 yd/carry.

Lynchs numbers: 16 for 76; 4.75 yd/carry

Jacksons numbers: 8 for 40; 5.0 yd/carry

other (Losmans) numbers: 1 for 2; 2.0 yd/carry

So, BUFs yd/carry average is over 1 yard/carry higher inside the opponets 25. DEN has the best yard per carry average in the NFL at guess what? 4.7 yd/carry.

Conclusions: BUF runs the ball much better inside the opponents 25, and their yard per carry average within this region ties them with the top overall rushing team in the AFN (DEN). This, IMO, is the area when a team needs to be a good rushing team. You always hear the saying thrown around that good teams run the ball effectively in the red zone. It appears BUF is doing that. Perhaps we are being somewhat harsh on the BUF running game since they are running it well inside the OPP 25.

The question is why are we running it so much better?

Good work on the stats. Even though we don't have a huge number of yards--we still have a serviceable running game. but it could just explode soon.

BUF averaged 4.4 YPC overall for the MIA game. BUF rushed 8 times when inside the MIA 25 for a 4.1 YPC average. The most disturbing stat, however, was this. Jackson ran 7 times compared to 1 Lynch run. Jackson averaged a paltry 3.1 YPC on 7 carries.

Look for Lynch to start getting more of the red zone carries from here on out.

This is the first game I wasnt happy with the play calling. I would have liked to have seen more runs, especially with the success we had with the 1st drive in the 3rd quarter. Also, I wish Jauron would have gone for it on 4th and goal at the 1 in the first quarter. The decision only makes sense if BUF has less than a 43% chance of converting. I believe they get a TD at least every other time. Thus it makes sense to go for it. Not only that, MIA would have been pinned at the BUF 1 even if we didnt not make it.