Reggie Bush

deep2evans

I think some of the hate Bush has received from fans since he's been on the Saints is probably a bit of a backlash from the constant success and fawning over him while he was playing for one of the most divisive teams in college. USC is similar to the Cowboys...They have a ton of fans, but those who hate them really hate them.

I think if you take Bush for what he is (excellent receiver, incredible open field runner, dangerous special teams player) then what you have is a very talented, exciting football player. Add to that, he lines up all over the field, presents a mismatch on nearly every play, and is used just as often as a decoy...All things considered, he seems pretty good.

If you like to bag on Bush for what he isn't (a 25-carry, 3.8 ypc smash runner) then you can easily cite stats that say he is an underperforming RB. While that's true, I don't think he's an underperforming football player. I'm pretty darn sure the Saints don't view him as a lug-the-mail RB either.

Not sure how many here follow Syracuse basketball, but I think Paul Harris (played at NFHS) gets a similar bad rap. Everyone dogs on him for what he isn't...Namely, not an outstanding shooter, and hasn't scored the 22 pts/game that was expected of him coming into college. However, if you take him for what he is (namely, 13 pts/game, 7 rebs, 4 assts, 3 stls, 2 blks) then he looks pretty good.

I think people allow their expectations to get out of whack with reality occasionally. I can also see how the media love can sour people on some athletes, when ESPN is naming "the best ever" on a daily basis.

I think some of the hate Bush has received from fans since he's been on the Saints is probably a bit of a backlash from the constant success and fawning over him while he was playing for one of the most divisive teams in college. USC is similar to the Cowboys...They have a ton of fans, but those who hate them really hate them.

I think if you take Bush for what he is (excellent receiver, incredible open field runner, dangerous special teams player) then what you have is a very talented, exciting football player. Add to that, he lines up all over the field, presents a mismatch on nearly every play, and is used just as often as a decoy...All things considered, he seems pretty good.

If you like to bag on Bush for what he isn't (a 25-carry, 3.8 ypc smash runner) then you can easily cite stats that say he is an underperforming RB. While that's true, I don't think he's an underperforming football player. I'm pretty darn sure the Saints don't view him as a lug-the-mail RB either.

Not sure how many here follow Syracuse basketball, but I think Paul Harris (played at NFHS) gets a similar bad rap. Everyone dogs on him for what he isn't...Namely, not an outstanding shooter, and hasn't scored the 22 pts/game that was expected of him coming into college. However, if you take him for what he is (namely, 13 pts/game, 7 rebs, 4 assts, 3 stls, 2 blks) then he looks pretty good.

I think people allow their expectations to get out of whack with reality occasionally. I can also see how the media love can sour people on some athletes, when ESPN is naming "the best ever" on a daily basis.

Good post.

Players like Bush add excitement to the NFL. I think most every club would like one of these versatile RBs on their roster, arguments about where he's selected in the draft aside.

I'm a big fan of having a RB on the roster with very good pass catch skills. Especially when you're going with a rookie, or inexperienced QB.

the bush hype was retarded, but he showed last night he has a ton of skill.

NO is down what, their 3 top passing threats including 2 pro bowlers? bush is a great play maker on a dynamic offense.

while peterson might be an even more impressive RB, it was shown that given a particular type of offensive team (smash mouth not great qb) you can take away a strength. bush is not a good every down work horse, but if you put in him a decent O with a good qb and creativitiy, he can open everything up.

I wasn't sold on Bush when he came out. To me, guys that weight under 200 pounds won't cut it in the NFL. I'm sure not everybody would believe that I wouldn't like Reggie Bush with all the hype coming out of college (no I'm not giving a LaDaris I told you so comment, don't worry).

I'm a guy that has always hated a Westbrook player - I still hate the guy! I just don't think a player like this is an everydown back, and you always need to compensate by having a smash mouth running back to go with him.

But he did impress me his rookie year. The guy can catch the ball - he had 88 catches, as a RB and as a ROOKIE! He already has 38 this year. That is crazy, and he is an X factor. He did grow on me.

I would love to have a guy like him on my team. But I wouldn't want to waste a number 2 overall pick on him. Nor would I want to give him 10 million a year (6 years 62 million). That's just absurd, especially since you would need to pay another 2-3 million or high draft pick to find a guy to compliment him. For everyone that complained about paying Lee 9 mil a year (which I think was totally worth it), paying Reggie Bush that much more is too much.

Overall, the cost is just too much for a guy like that. Still love to have him on the team though, haha.

I wasn't sold on Bush when he came out. To me, guys that weight under 200 pounds won't cut it in the NFL. I'm sure not everybody would believe that I wouldn't like Reggie Bush with all the hype coming out of college (no I'm not giving a LaDaris I told you so comment, don't worry).

Naw, there were more than just a few people not sold on Bush.

I'm a guy that has always hated a Westbrook player - I still hate the guy! I just don't think a player like this is an everydown back, and you always need to compensate by having a smash mouth running back to go with him.

But he did impress me his rookie year. The guy can catch the ball - he had 88 catches, as a RB and as a ROOKIE! He already has 38 this year. That is crazy, and he is an X factor. He did grow on me.

I would love to have a guy like him on my team. But I wouldn't want to waste a number 2 overall pick on him. Nor would I want to give him 10 million a year (6 years 62 million). That's just absurd, especially since you would need to pay another 2-3 million or high draft pick to find a guy to compliment him. For everyone that complained about paying Lee 9 mil a year (which I think was totally worth it), paying Reggie Bush that much more is too much.

Overall, the cost is just too much for a guy like that. Still love to have him on the team though, haha.

Completely agree with the rest of your post.

Bush has the more catches after 33 career games than any player in NFL history. Is that wasting a #2 pick? He has 20 TD's in 33 career games. He's not worth the money he's making?

Bush's next contract will be the one that should be considered as far as overpaying/underpaying. 1st round draft picks are essentially slotted and paid what those around them (and in years preceding them) have been paid.

I like Lee Evans and I like his extension. But I think Bush opens up more things for teammates than Evans does.

Considering everything else surrounding New Orleans at the time, Bush falling to them at #2 was a steal.

EVERY single NFL team is moving toward a two-back system. The smashmouth back typically lasts about 4 years in the league. I fail to understand why Bush catches flak for failing to be a player that he wasn't drafted to be anyways.

I agree with 99% of that, but not sure how you can hate on Brian Westbrook. The guy does it all, and he's the best at it. He's the NFLs best weapon, and he keeps his mouth shut and plays football.

He does pose a lot of different problems for a defense and for special teams, but...

Bottom line, as long as the Saints realize that what they have in Bush is a terrific flanker, then they should be okay w/ him. He's not an every down RB that can beat you by running the ball 25 times a game, but w/ his versatility, he can cause the kind of mismatches that make defending 'Nawlins a tough task. All of that is dependent on the Saints having someone in there, though, that can carry the ball a good amount of times like Deuce.

To put it short, he is to 'Nawlins what Raghib Ismail was to "that school" back in the day.

I'm not saying he's not a very good player, I'm saying second pick in the draft was too high. I could see late first round or early second round based on his productivity so far.

I agree with 99% of that, but not sure how you can hate on Brian Westbrook. The guy does it all, and he's the best at it. He's the NFLs best weapon, and he keeps his mouth shut and plays football.

Brian Westbrook IMO is the second best RB in the NFL. LT, and then Westbrook. Westbrook does it all at a high level. He had 2,104 yards rushing/receiving combined. 1,333 rushing and 771 receiving and 12 TD's. He was taken in round 3 and he makes Bush look like a less than average back. Because he's quietly gone about his business he's been overlooked but how can anyone with half a brain overlook that productivity.

Bush has the more catches after 33 career games than any player in NFL history. Is that wasting a #2 pick? He has 20 TD's in 33 career games. He's not worth the money he's making?

Bush's next contract will be the one that should be considered as far as overpaying/underpaying. 1st round draft picks are essentially slotted and paid what those around them (and in years preceding them) have been paid.

I like Lee Evans and I like his extension. But I think Bush opens up more things for teammates than Evans does.

Considering everything else surrounding New Orleans at the time, Bush falling to them at #2 was a steal.

EVERY single NFL team is moving toward a two-back system. The smashmouth back typically lasts about 4 years in the league. I fail to understand why Bush catches flak for failing to be a player that he wasn't drafted to be anyways.

I'd take Maurice Jones-Drew, who was taken #60 overall in the same draft, and makes a lot less money, than Reggie Bush. Jones-Drew can actually run between the tackles, also.

Comparing their numbers, Jones-Drew actually has more touchdowns.

I'd take Maurice Jones-Drew, who was taken #60 overall in the same draft, and makes a lot less money, than Reggie Bush. Jones-Drew can actually run between the tackles, also.

Comparing their numbers, Jones-Drew actually has more touchdowns.

Yes - but who can predict the future? Would it be better to sell off one's first round choice, and move to the bottom of the 2nd, in hopes that a Jones-Drew shows up? With assurance that your particular team has the necessary parts to let that #60 strut his stuff?

Yes - but who can predict the future? Would it be better to sell off one's first round choice, and move to the bottom of the 2nd, in hopes that a Jones-Drew shows up? With assurance that your particular team has the necessary parts to let that #60 strut his stuff?

That'd just be silly.

I was just making my case that Bush isn't a once in a lifetime player, heck, he's not even a once in a draft player.