Discussion of Marv Levy and the Buffalo Bills

Link

Some very excellent points made about the two drafts Marv took part in. I think this sums up how well of a job Marv did.

At 80 years old he gets a call from Ralph Wilson to come in and act as GM. He has nothing to prove. He is in the Hall of Fame. He is widely respected. Still, he takes on a team that had gone 5-11, had practically no one of note on the roster and which had no coach.

Now, if I'm 80 I am going balls out to win today. I am buying every free agent out there and seeing if we can pull off a miracle. !@#$ you. I want my ring.

But he doesn't.

He goes out, he gets a good coach (Jauron was a re-tread but he was a good re-tread) and, seeing that he was fighting the Pats and the Colts for the next 2 years at least he starts building a team for a window THREE YEARS AWAY!!!!!

I wonder why Ralph Wilson, due to his age, isn't going the "sign every type A free agent out there" way? I mean the guy is going to most likely die soon, and I would think he'd want to see his franchise win a Super Bowl before he does so. Kudos to Ralph for letting Marv go the long term route because the above philosophy would of put this franchise in a hole for the next decade at most.