Plax suspended by Giants

d_wag

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8601112

The New York Giants will not have the services of their most electrifying offensive weapon when they play Seattle after their bye week. WR Plaxico Burress will miss the game, not because of injury, but rather insubordination.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Giants have suspended Burress for two weeks for failing to show up for work on Monday and not responding to several phone calls by the team to explain his unexcused absence both Monday and Tuesday.

The star wideout, who was just rewarded with a new lucrative contract three weeks ago, was slated to meet with team officials early this morning to explain why he would've violated team rules and failed to return several phone calls explaining his whereabouts.

The excuse apparently was not good enough and head coach Tom Coughlin told the team this morning of the predicament and subsequent punishment.

The suspension means Burress will miss two weeks worth of pay as well as next week's game vs. the Seahawks.

In 2008, Burress has 18 catches for 259 yards and a touchdown. Last season he garnered massive respect for grabbing 70 balls for 1,025 yards and 12 TDs despite playing on a severely injured ankle. He's amassed four seasons of at least 1,000 yards receiving, two with the Giants and two with the Steelers. He opened this season with 10 catches for 133 yards on the Thursday night battle vs. the Redskins and at the time seemed worth every penny of his new deal.

Just three weeks later, however, the Giants are left punishing the wideout instead of praising him.

---------------------------------------------------------

what a douche

"You got to be a stupid mother!@#$er to get fired on your day off." -Friday

so he misses 1 game, agenst the seahawlks, who they will crush comming off thier bye week. no big deal. Dont players go home for a few days on their bye week anyway? its like my boss suspending me on friday afternoon for 2 days, and expects me to return on monday. no big deal for the team or the player. The team just wanted to prove a point.

"You got to be a stupid mother!@#$er to get fired on your day off." -Friday

so he misses 1 game, agenst the seahawlks, who they will crush comming off thier bye week. no big deal. Dont players go home for a few days on their bye week anyway? its like my boss suspending me on friday afternoon for 2 days, and expects me to return on monday. no big deal for the team or the player. The team just wanted to prove a point.

Except for the fact when you get suspened on a Friday, you don't forfit over 150k in the form of a game check.

Except for the fact when you get suspened on a Friday, you don't forfit over 150k in the form of a game check.

probably going to cost him more then that tgreg99:

"We heard on Thursday that the new contract signed by Giants receiver Plaxico Burress contains new money tied in part to his participation in voluntary offseason workouts and to his ability to continue to perform at a high level.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network has the numbers, which confirm that this is indeed the case.

But Schefter also reveals that much of the money is tied to the receiver’s presence on the active roster, presumably via per-game roster bonuses.

The contract, initially reported as a five-year, $35 million package, actually has a base value of $30 million, and includes $5 million in performance escalators.

Of the $30 million, more than $5 million is tied to Burress being on the active roster for each regular-season game, and $3.5 million is tied to fully participating in minicamps and training camps.

The deal also includes a signing bonus of $4.25 million, and his 2008 base salary is now essentially guaranteed, since he is a vested veteran and was on the opening-day roster."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/05/...rk-performance/

------------------------------------------------

so yes ch19079, it is a big deal for the player, who was whining about money all off-season

I'm glad we don't play them in the reg. season. It would have been another team we whoop that skeptics would blame on missing players from the opposition.. :lol:

The 13 pt. underdog gave 'em a decent tussle. Palmer had 12 completions to Houshmandezeh, and I'm guessing his bum ankle somehow helped him B-) - he kept the ball down and while suffering 6 sacks, he woke up and ran the ball a couple of times instead of hanging in.

Dumbness in the last seconds of regulation time byCIN brought the OT, and why CIN blitzed 2 in OT knowing that they were sporting two 2-year players and two rookies as defensive backfield starters all game long is unknown - perhaps idiotic. Well, that's deja vu...

The Gint's lb play wasn't notable, to me. Manning had no recorded sacks, but he got his nose bent several times. Being taken into OT by CIN doesn't exactly bode well for their repeat.

I'm beginning to think that the AFC North, slapping each other around, squaring off against the NFC East, and facing decent competition in those throw-in games, might crown a 9 - 7 division winner. I can't see at this point, a wild card club from that conference.

Which bodes well for BUF.

probably going to cost him more then that tgreg99:

"We heard on Thursday that the new contract signed by Giants receiver Plaxico Burress contains new money tied in part to his participation in voluntary offseason workouts and to his ability to continue to perform at a high level.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network has the numbers, which confirm that this is indeed the case.

But Schefter also reveals that much of the money is tied to the receiver’s presence on the active roster, presumably via per-game roster bonuses.

The contract, initially reported as a five-year, $35 million package, actually has a base value of $30 million, and includes $5 million in performance escalators.

Of the $30 million, more than $5 million is tied to Burress being on the active roster for each regular-season game, and $3.5 million is tied to fully participating in minicamps and training camps.

The deal also includes a signing bonus of $4.25 million, and his 2008 base salary is now essentially guaranteed, since he is a vested veteran and was on the opening-day roster."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/05/...rk-performance/

------------------------------------------------

so yes ch19079, it is a big deal for the player, who was whining about money all off-season

Good find! And man, if those numbers are correct that's one devious way for the Giants to get out of paying incentives. Lol

Even Mark Schlereth had a good point about this on NFL Live -- every player owns a cell phone. Even if the guy had family issues there's no excuse for him not to call in or answer his phone to explain why he wasn't there.

It's obvious this isn't the first time Plaxico has acted up -- otherwise those clauses wouldn't be in his contract.

He's coming off as a real knucklehead in this whole deal.

If his kid choked on a bone and he had to take him or her to the hospital fine... I can't blame the guy for missing practice, and nobody else in their right mind would either. But, he never even called... Hell, if a family member of mine died, i'd still call into work beforehand. He deserves the two week suspension. Maybe he can get his family in order during that time...