Oh Sully, Why do you tease as so much

ganesh

Is this D any good ?

The article starts off nicely questioning each starters role on the defense and what is expected by fans for each of the player to get to the next level and finally capped off by putting out the fact that this D is just turning the corner...However, at the end the following quote really threw me off....

They were a rubber-band type unit that did a good job of preventing touchdowns in the red zone. But they weren’t so good at getting off the field, which hurt the offense. Hopes are high, but you’d think Bills fans would be wary at this point.

I thought the Bills problems was that the dumb offense was not able to stay on the field more often as they did not convert enough 3rd downs and yet here is Sully talking about how the D prevented the offense from functioning.. I thought with the offense not staying long, the smallish defense was forced to stay longer on the field thereby withering in the 4th quarter.

Sully, why do you do this to us..

Is this D any good ?

The article starts off nicely questioning each starters role on the defense and what is expected by fans for each of the player to get to the next level and finally capped off by putting out the fact that this D is just turning the corner...However, at the end the following quote really threw me off....

They were a rubber-band type unit that did a good job of preventing touchdowns in the red zone. But they weren’t so good at getting off the field, which hurt the offense. Hopes are high, but you’d think Bills fans would be wary at this point.

I thought the Bills problems was that the dumb offense was not able to stay on the field more often as they did not convert enough 3rd downs and yet here is Sully talking about how the D prevented the offense from functioning.. I thought with the offense not staying long, the smallish defense was forced to stay longer on the field thereby withering in the 4th quarter.

Sully, why do you do this to us..

Don't get me wrong - I think Sullivan is a whiny ass-bag who would probably find something negative to say even as the Bills were hoisting the Lombardi trophy amidst a torrent of confetti. But I find it hard as hell to dispute this sentence:

"When it really matters, they don’t stop people. When a team shows up with a solid quarterback and a complete attack, the Bills’ defense gets thrown around the field."

He's right on this point, and you know it, and I know it. Barring injury (note how I started with that all-important statement):

1) This secondary could be in the top-5 in the league.

2) The linebackers are good, not great. In fact, they may not be all that "good".

3) It's going to come down to Stroud plugging the middle, hence a 3rd and 5th.

And if Stroud plays like he's worth a 3rd and a 5th, we can cut this article out and use it as a suppository for Mr. Sullivan.