Palin

Justice

If you play in a fantasy congress league (where you pick your team of legislatores; there is a huge site somewhere that organizes the leagues), you'll realize that sponsoring and co-sponsoring bills is the junk-filler stat. Anyone can sponsor legislation - just look at Kucinich and his daily impeachment bills. Getting them out of committee, reconciled, and passed is the accomplishment that gets you points.

Simply sponsoring them is valued about the same as attendence.

Agreed, what is more telling is how many of his amendments did he support and were accepted. It is hard to tell when the other side has been in charge until the last two years. Often they, especially the Republicans, but now the Dems are using the same strategy. Taking an R bill and reintroducing it as their own, cutting out Republican sponsorship.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true. With that being said one could look at the over 1,000 co-sponsored bills McCain has and what state they sit.

Regardless of what one thinks of the bills, there is no denying that McCain-Feingold and the Immigration Reform Act were two exceoptionally significant pieces of legislation, major league by Senate standards. They were McCain's babies, and they were bipartisan.

Most people have heard of them. And yet if you look at most other Senators, a person on the street would be hard pressed to associate a piece of legislation with them.

No just poor Democrats (I kid). I think what he meant is you can't expect government to care for you. America is a land of oppurtunity if you work your ass off, you will be rewarded. There are many avenues to get out of poor situations. You can do what I did and join the military. Onward and upward from there. McCain is real. He's been a navy pilot (anyone who has landed on a carrier has resolve and nerves of steel), a commanding officer, a much more experienced senator and has shown courage under extreme duress. I think his biggest endorsement wasn't from Palin, Huckabee, Thompson or anyone else but the guys in the POW cells next to him. If they had said he was a quiter fine, but to this day they stand by him. Says enough about him to me.

So you are just the female lemmings who say they will vote for Palin or Clinton because they are lemmings. I don't buy that, you can justify and actually think you have, but why use such a throw away statement

Sure, sure, registered independent, but your posts alre hardly that. I am not an independent, I admit it. Besides, stating that you are an independent just means you are uninvolved. So I am not saying join the Ds or Rs. But get involved with what you believe in and stop waffling on the independent fence.

Most people, even when they claim they are independent are really an uninvolved D or R because they don't have the stomach for politics. But they still vote consistently with one or the other, so I am not buying your claim.

No...I just don't believe in every party line...I do lean right but not on everything..I'll even state what I believe in:

I believe in a woman's right to choose (D)

I could care less about gay marriage (D)

Anti Gun Control ®

Anti Tax ®

Stop Illegal Immigration (?)

Anti Iraq War (D)

Pro Afgan War (?)

What's your stance?

All I can think of now as it's way past my Bedtime but I will continue this tomorrow. Peace.

Agreed, what is more telling is how many of his amendments did he support and were accepted. It is hard to tell when the other side has been in charge until the last two years. Often they, especially the Republicans, but now the Dems are using the same strategy. Taking an R bill and reintroducing it as their own, cutting out Republican sponsorship.

I'm pretty sure they track that too - I'll have to remember the site and see.

A friend convinced me to join about a year ago. After a month I was bored out of my mind and let my team finish on auto-pilot. It didn't help that one of my back-benchers, the delegate from the Virgin Islands, dropped dead right after the draft :thumbsup: Not much trade value...

So you are just the female lemmings who say they will vote for Palin or Clinton because they are lemmings. I don't buy that, you can justify and actually think you have, but why use such a throw away statement
In English please.

No just poor Democrats (I kid). I think what he meant is you can't expect government to care for you. America is a land of oppurtunity if you work your ass off, you will be rewarded. There are many avenues to get out of poor situations. You can do what I did and join the military. Onward and upward from there. McCain is real. He's been a navy pilot (anyone who has landed on a carrier has resolve and nerves of steel), a commanding officer, a much more experienced senator and has shown courage under extreme duress. I think his biggest endorsement wasn't from Palin, Huckabee, Thompson or anyone else but the guys in the POW cells next to him. If they had said he was a quiter fine, but to this day they stand by him. Says enough about him to me.

I agree with you on that one should not expect the government to care for them, unless of course they truly need the help. That being said, in regards to McCain no one questions his POW experience. Commanding officer of non-war time squadron, some debate that experience. Personally, I am tired of hearing about both - just as I am getting tired of hearing about the south side of Chicago. I want to know what they will do for the future. To me, McCain does represent status quo.

I truly believe that Obama's candidacy is NOT a show. There is some substance to Obama's style. Sarah Palin's selection as a possible Veep wreaks of an attention getter, a headline grabber. More of that "shock and awe" crap that right wing conservatives love so much. McCain spoke to that woman for all of five minutes by phone and that's supposed to be enough for McCain to make his choice??? Come on, dont give me that crap. I ain't buying it. It was all for show.

Obama is truly inspiring and motivating. Just look at his speech he gave in a football stadium. 85,000 people packed the house to hear the man speak. If there's any showmanship involved with Obama it's only because he demands that kind of attention with his presence alone. Hell, even 250,000 people in Germany went to see that man speak.

Did anyone else get a nice laugh out of this reply? He claims there is substance to Obama's style, proceeds to spend the next bit attacking the other side, and then talks about style and not substance.

In English please.

Sorry, that was pretty unintelligent. My 4 year old was interrupting me and I was editing photos from an event.

What I was trying to say was in response to your stating that McCain's military service and support by his fellow servicemen was enough for you to vote for him as President was like women voting for either Hillary or Palin because they are women. It lacks depth and investigation. But from your other posts I know that is not true, so why use such a throw away line.

It may be a factor, but I rarely vote for a person because they are involved with something I have participated in or generally support. I am more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt though, but I weigh all the pluses and minuses. In fact, that Palin has a special needs child, depending on her views on the subject, is more likely to make me sympathetic to her. I have a 21 month old special needs child and am still learning about his condition.

P.S. I am not sure who I am going to support in this election. It probably won't be McCain, he would have to make some serious changes in his economic policy for me to support him, but I am not sure about Obama. I have been through 2 relatively unknown admins with charismatic African American men. In Virginia, Doug Wilder, who turned out to be very conservative and tone deaf to the needs of No. Virginia and most recently Deval Patrick, who has had difficulties of his own. Deval seems to be doing better lately, but Romney left him with a lot of unresolved issues with major problems and he has not handled all them well and has been tone deaf occasionally.

That being said, McCain is often tone deaf on a number of things including alternative energy investment and has support much of the oil industry agenda.

My problem is that as a Republican friend of mine stated recently, we have two bad choices and have to plug our noses and choose one or make a protest vote for one of the lesser candidates.

Not voting and not participating is not an option for me.

If I had my druthers, I would have liked Senator Chuck Hagel. A moderate but forceful Senator and former Army infantryman from Nebraska who served in Vietnam.

I agree her speech was good, distorted on some fronts, but that is politics, the other side has done it too... the line about Wasilla comparing it to Scranton at town of 72,400 + a small city is goofy. But I understand why it was done. It was an attack speech, but what policy does she stand for.

I would like to hear more about substance, what would she do for special needs children? I have one, so tell me. Not just that you support them, noice, I can support them too, that and a quarter won't get me a cup of coffee or help me with all his needs.

That is something I would like to hear as well....did she spearhead inclusive education in the PTA?

What does that mean they have an advocate? Does she support inclusion and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act? How exactly was that implemented in Alaska? I'm pretty sure when she said she is an advocate - 4 million parents last night heard "inclusion".

And what is taking money from big oil and returning it to the citizens of Alaska but a windfall profit tax?

It is certainly not her base, but going after "community organizers" is basically telling civil rights workers to !@#$ off.

I truly believe that Obama's candidacy is NOT a show. There is some substance to Obama's style. Sarah Palin's selection as a possible Veep wreaks of an attention getter, a headline grabber. More of that "shock and awe" crap that right wing conservatives love so much. McCain spoke to that woman for all of five minutes by phone and that's supposed to be enough for McCain to make his choice??? Come on, dont give me that crap. I ain't buying it. It was all for show.

Obama is truly inspiring and motivating. Just look at his speech he gave in a football stadium. 85,000 people packed the house to hear the man speak. If there's any showmanship involved with Obama it's only because he demands that kind of attention with his presence alone. Hell, even 250,000 people in Germany went to see that man speak.

Point #1 - Clinton met Al Gore once before making him his VP choice. When did they meet? In 1988 when Gore was running for president and sought then Gov. Clinton's endorsement. He didn't get it.

Point #2 - Heck, even I would have showed up for the free beer.

No...I just don't believe in every party line...I do lean right but not on everything..I'll even state what I believe in:

Anti Gun Control ®

Anti Tax ®

Stop Illegal Immigration (?)

Anti Iraq War (D)

Pro Afgan War (?)

What's your stance?

All I can think of now as it's way past my Bedtime but I will continue this tomorrow. Peace.

Anti Gun Control R, but want background checks completed before purchase or otherwise and if a domestic violence restraining order has ever been effect, that person should be precluded from owning a gun.

Anti Tax, taxes are necessary, but the budget should be balanced, all bills should be paid for, line item veto should return and corporate loopholes should be closed, but then overall taxes should be lowered. Taxes are currently a greater problem at the local level in NYC, with business taxes, county, town and state taxes, let alone sales tax. They should all be added up and not greater than 50% of gross revenue.

Immigration should be better monitored and controlled, not sure, tricky issue.

Anti-Iraq war, but should do best to get out successfully.

I am for going after Al-Qaieda in Afghanistan and we should have been doing it with full-force consistently since 911 not just in fits and starts.

Palin gave a decent speech. However, it reminded me of a bad commencement speech. Shrill barely describes it. She described her experience (glad she got to sell a jet on eBay - what a smart move that is. Also, glad she got rid of her personal chef :w00t: ), she bashed community organizers (nice), and the only substance that she handed out is the fact that she intends to be a attack dog (with lipstick). Nothing about the economy, nothing about health care. She, like the scumbag Lieberman lied about Obama's record in Congress stating that he has done nothing, has had no part in legislation being passed.

Goes to show that the republican base believes the only way to win election is by being overly negative and providing no light in what they will actually do.

I'm shocked, shocked i say to hear that Pbills didn't like Palin's speech. Stunned does not begin to describe how I feel about his comments. :thumbsup:

Sorry, that was pretty unintelligent. My 4 year old was interrupting me and I was editing photos from an event.

What I was trying to say was in response to your stating that McCain's military service and support by his fellow servicemen was enough for you to vote for him as President was like women voting for either Hillary or Palin because they are women. It lacks depth and investigation. But from your other posts I know that is not true, so why use such a throw away line.

It may be a factor, but I rarely vote for a person because they are involved with something I have participated in or generally support. I am more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt though, but I weigh all the pluses and minuses. In fact, that Palin has a special needs child, depending on her views on the subject, is more likely to make me sympathetic to her. I have a 21 month old special needs child and am still learning about his condition.

P.S. I am not sure who I am going to support in this election. It probably won't be McCain, he would have to make some serious changes in his economic policy for me to support him, but I am not sure about Obama. I have been through 2 relatively unknown admins with charismatic African American men. In Virginia, Doug Wilder, who turned out to be very conservative and tone deaf to the needs of No. Virginia and most recently Deval Patrick, who has had difficulties of his own. Deval seems to be doing better lately, but Romney left him with a lot of unresolved issues with major problems and he has not handled all them well and has been tone deaf occasionally.

That being said, McCain is often tone deaf on a number of things including alternative energy investment and has support much of the oil industry agenda.

My problem is that as a Republican friend of mine stated recently, we have two bad choices and have to plug our noses and choose one or make a protest vote for one of the lesser candidates.

Not voting and not participating is not an option for me.

If I had my druthers, I would have liked Senator Chuck Hagel. A moderate but forceful Senator and former Army infantryman from Nebraska who served in Vietnam.

Interesting post...

Just wondering: if you're SURE Mc Cain 'd be mediocre President and NOT SURE about Obama, it is maybe worth the risk to bet on Obama no? In those times of crisis, it is maybe wiser to take risks than to go for a so so status quo... It looks to me America faces a "third down and 10 "and that's not the time to call a run in the middle ...

Point #1 - Clinton met Al Gore once before making him his VP choice. When did they meet? In 1988 when Gore was running for president and sought then Gov. Clinton's endorsement. He didn't get it.

Point #2 - Heck, even I would have showed up for the free beer.

#1Not True, but you go on with that one.

#2 Can't argue that.