Is Palin more qualified to be VP than Obama is to be Pres.

Let's talk about "experience". The McSame camp asserts that Palin's executive experience running Alaska (population around 683k) for a bit makes her better qualified than Obama/Biden.

Using that yardstick: why didn't McCain tap:

Mayor of Washington DC (pop 588k)

Mayor of Baltimore (637k)

Mayor of Boston (599k)

Mayor of Charlotte (671k)

Mayor of Denver (588k)

Mayor of El Paso (606k)

Mayor of Ft. Worth (681k)

Mayor of Memphis (674k)

Mayor of Seattle (594k)

Etc. Not making it up

How about a little perspective?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They realize that McCain has screwed the pooch and are overly protecting Palin.

Over protecting her, how's that?

By asking to keep her kids out of it.

If the only thing they can use to tear her down is the action of her daughter, then McCain made a good choice.

Let's talk about "experience". The McSame camp asserts that Palin's executive experience running Alaska (population around 683k) for a bit makes her better qualified than Obama/Biden.

Using that yardstick: why didn't McCain tap:

Mayor of Washington DC (pop 588k)

Mayor of Baltimore (637k)

Mayor of Boston (599k)

Mayor of Charlotte (671k)

Mayor of Denver (588k)

Mayor of El Paso (606k)

Mayor of Ft. Worth (681k)

Mayor of Memphis (674k)

Mayor of Seattle (594k)

Etc. Not making it up

How about a little perspective?

Or even County Executive Collins, Erie County has 900k!

Because a mayor of a city is = governor of a state, amirite?

Big fish in a VERY small pond. Running a city and running a state have clear differences in terms of geography, but as long as there are people living there the challenges are comparable. Crime, poverty, transportation, infrastructure, etc...

Because a mayor of a city is = governor of a state, amirite?

I guess that also means that the mayor of San Jose would have been a better choice than Biden, cause that city has a larger population than Delaware. :D

Why don't we just make Mike Bloomburg emperor and be done with it.

Has Obama ever run a business? Palin has.

Has Obama ever run a community? Palin has.

Has Obama ever run a state? Palin has.

By the transitive property of equalities, I am not sure that Obama could run a Starbucks, much less the United States.

Has Obama ever run a business? Palin has.

Has Obama ever run a community? Palin has.

Has Obama ever run a state? Palin has.

By the transitive property of equalities, I am not sure that Obama could run a Starbucks, much less the United States.

In all fairness, Obama would be a much better celeb spokesman than Palin.

So a first term Governor that was previously mayor of a city isn't qualified to be VP? Didn't seem to be a problem with Tim Kaine

I wonder if Palin knows which states Alaska borders (or doesn't border)

It's funny, Karl Rove thinks Tim Kaine is too inexperienced to be VP but Sarah Palin is the perfect gal for the job!

"With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years, he's been able but undistinguished," Rove said. "I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America."

Rove continued: "So if he were to pick Governor Kaine, it would be an intensely political choice where he said, `You know what? I'm really not, first and foremost, concerned with, is this person capable of being president of the United States? What I'm concerned about is, can he bring me the electoral votes of the state of Virginia, the 13 electoral votes in Virginia?'"

Big fish in a VERY small pond. Running a city and running a state have clear differences in terms of geography, but as long as there are people living there the challenges are comparable. Crime, poverty, transportation, infrastructure, etc...

The challenges being comparable means their jobs and authority levels are comparable?

It's funny, Karl Rove thinks Tim Kaine is too inexperienced to be VP but Sarah Palin is the perfect gal for the job!

"With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years, he's been able but undistinguished," Rove said. "I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America."

Rove continued: "So if he were to pick Governor Kaine, it would be an intensely political choice where he said, `You know what? I'm really not, first and foremost, concerned with, is this person capable of being president of the United States? What I'm concerned about is, can he bring me the electoral votes of the state of Virginia, the 13 electoral votes in Virginia?'"

Oh, is that like Biden stating that Obama wasn't experienced enough?

"I think he can be ready, but right now I don't believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training."

Linky

The problem for McCain here is that he allowed the MSM and the Netroots to define Palin before he/she could. I still think it's a pretty good pick, but with Campbell Brown arguing that she's not experienced enough (No Bias, No Bull . . . riiiiight), it's going to be a hard climb back.

Johnny-boy is going to have to use the RNC to re-define the ticket and Palin through Thursday to defuse the situation.

The left-leaning media has come down hard on this . . . . The Buffalo snooze ran an editorial on Saturday Linky stating:

When the vice presidential candidates debate, Democrat Joe Biden will have to be careful not to come across as a bully. But he could well find a way to say to Sarah Palin, “Governor, you’re no Hillary Clinton.”

Umm, other than being married to Bill Clinton, what the hell did Hillary ever do that qualified her to be a US Senator? I might say that the reply would be that Hillary Clinton is no Sarah Palin.

The challenges being comparable means their jobs and authority levels are comparable?

That will vary state to state and even city to city. Sometimes there's a County Executive who has more responsibility than a mayor. There are "strong city" models and more county-centric models. In literal terms, the mayor of has power over its residents and is responsible to deliver services, manage budgets etc . The Mayor can only ask for National Guard, the Gov can order them up. You could argue that the Mayor would make the call as to whether they were needed ... and ask the governor. In terms of complexity and ability to impact people's lives, I'd say that a mayor of a city of 600,000 people has to have more creativity, negotiation and management skills because cities all compete for resources which, by the time the state gets them, are already very scarce.

Winguts denigrate small sovereign nations...such as Cuba (pop 11m+), Haiti (pop 6m), Costa Rica (3.5m)...etc, as being too small to be worthy of notice. Alaska's a beautiful place, no doubt about it, but in the grand scheme of things running a city of 9,000 people (2/3 smaller than the town in which I now live) and a state smaller than many smallish cities in America is not particularly impressive. Of course the bar for Repigs is quite low ... I guess only when you compare her with Bush she's almost mildly "qualified".