MY Theory on Peters situation

Stussy109

.This is why we are playing hardball with Peters and hearing quotes stating that any new money will be earned next year.

I have a feeling that the money just isn't there. :oops:

After all, we had to lock up more important players like backup Spencer Johnson, laughable Kyle Williams for the money, second year Brad Butler, Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery last year, all of whom are more important than Peters.

If we hadn't given contracts to Butler, Johnson, and Williams and ludicrous contracts to both Walker and Dockery, then maybe we would have had enough to sign Evans and Peters.

But who needs them when you have guys like Johnson and Williams.

We all have heard that "there will be no negotiations with a player who's not even in camp". We all know that our team has handled the "salary cap" well over the past few years. We have money to re-sign our players who have earned it. Peters is already scheduled to get $3.5 MILLION this year. If he don't want it, I'll glady take it.

That aside, your theory is not reality. If Peters was here from the time workouts started, they'd be negotiating. Evans will get his money regardless. Edwards hasn't proven anything yet to have his contract "upgraded". Just because you're named the starter for a team doesn't give you a new contract. If he has a solid year and shows improvement, then maybe.

Actually, they have also insisted, as the poster points out, that there will no new deal this year, period. The most generous reading you can give htat is that if he were in camp, at most, they would be willing to negotiate a new deal for 2009 only. After watching what happened to Kevin Everett last year, I can see why Peters isn't so hot on waiting or being one of the most underpaid OT's in the league for the third year running.