Barack Obama: "I don't switch positions."

Chilly

So how is naming your bus "Straight Talk Express" and calling yourself a "maverick" not impling that you're a "different" "Washington outsider"?

Having a long record of being a maverick in Washington, by definition, means you are a Washington Insider that can, at times, go against the grain.

Claiming you are a "Washington Outsider" means you are a completely different type of politician from what we've currently got.

So how is naming your bus "Straight Talk Express" and calling yourself a "maverick" not impling that you're a "different" "Washington outsider"?

How far did that campaign get him in 2000 when it was unveiled?

How far did that campaign get him in 2000 when it was unveiled?

That's because right wingers don't like hearing the truth and would rather vote for someone because he shares their love for jeebus. I think McCain would have been a damn good president in 2000. Today's McCain is another story.

That's because right wingers don't like hearing the truth and would rather vote for someone because he shares their love for jeebus. I think McCain would have been a damn good president in 2000. Today's McCain is another story.

Is McCain telling the truth or not? Or was he for the truth before he decided that he's now against the truth? Or are you flip flopping on your position of him? Or did you just invent a new way to stick in a Bush Bad reference?

This is so complicated.

Is McCain telling the truth or not? Or was he for the truth before he decided that he's now against the truth? Or are you flip flopping on your position of him? Or did you just invent a new way to stick in a Bush Bad reference?

This is so complicated.

It's not complicated at all.

Not to defend flip-flopping, but it is reasonable when circumstances change. McCain reversed his opposition to offshore drilling in response to the dramatic uptick in oil prices. Obama reversed the cuts he was proposing for NASA to compete in Florida - err, scratch that. Give him the benefit of the doubt for a minute.

One of the consequences of his proposed cuts was that it would delay the shuttles replacement by an extra 5 years, to 2019. This leaves a 10 year gap in which we would have to rely on Russia to sell us passage. As many countries who get their energy from Russia have learned, that's not a good situation. Perhaps Obama has re-evaluated the issue in light of events in Georgia.

So now he wants to restore funding and extend flying the shuttle by a year - IMO prudent, as far as it goes. But does it go far enough? It still leaves a gap from 2010-2014 in which we have no way to get a man in orbit. Is that good enough? (Not that I have a magic solution.)

One of the consequences of his proposed cuts was that it would delay the shuttles replacement by an extra 5 years, to 2019. This leaves a 10 year gap in which we would have to rely on Russia to sell us passage. As many countries who get their energy from Russia have learned, that's not a good situation. Perhaps Obama has re-evaluated the issue in light of events in Georgia.

So now he wants to restore funding and extend flying the shuttle by a year - IMO prudent, as far as it goes. But does it go far enough? It still leaves a gap from 2010-2014 in which we have no way to get a man in orbit. Is that good enough? (Not that I have a magic solution.)

Obama changed his mind WELL before events in the Caucasus. And I think I read recently that the shuttle's replacement is going to be delayed even further now. Don't remember the year.

And like I said before...it's just pandering. The radical side of the Democratic Party hates the space program ("Let's spend our money here first and cure hunger and poverty instead of wasting it on the space prog...hold on a sec, I've got a long distance call from Paris..."). He's moderating his positions to appeal more to the center. Change that...is pretty much the same as every other politician's.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/151731/page/1

Read past the headline, monkey-boy.

Wow, Bush comes off great in this article!

"And then there is the administration's record outside of foreign policy. Bush 43 has surely been the most fiscally irresponsible president in American history, taking surpluses that equaled 2.5 percent of GDP and turning them into deficits that are 3 percent. This is a $4 trillion hit on the country's balance sheet. On the central issue of energy policy—the greatest economic challenge and opportunity of our times—Bush has been utterly obstructionist, recycling the self-serving arguments of industry lobbyists. On the whole, Bush's record remains one of failure and missed opportunities"

"There was a U.S. president who came into office convinced that everything his predecessor had done was feckless, stupid, ill-informed and venal. He rejected and tried to reverse everything that he could, almost as an article of faith. Before he had even examined the policies carefully, he knew that they had to be changed. The base of his party was delighted by his clarity and fighting spirit. That president, of course, was George W. Bush. His decision to blindly repudiate anything associated with Bill Clinton is what got us into this mess in the first place."

"A broad shift in America's approach to the world is justified and overdue. Bush's basic conception of a "global War on Terror," to take but the most obvious example, has been poorly thought-through, badly implemented, and has produced many unintended costs that will linger for years if not decades."

Obama changed his mind WELL before events in the Caucasus. And I think I read recently that the shuttle's replacement is going to be delayed even further now. Don't remember the year.

And like I said before...it's just pandering. The radical side of the Democratic Party hates the space program ("Let's spend our money here first and cure hunger and poverty instead of wasting it on the space prog...hold on a sec, I've got a long distance call from Paris..."). He's moderating his positions to appeal more to the center. Change that...is pretty much the same as every other politician's.

Yep. In fact, like I mentioned in my previous post, this is a good decision by Obama.

Still, its funny to laugh at the guy who claims he's different, but really he's differently abled just like the rest of em.