Has our run game improved because of

While I know it's only the pre-season and not easy to make an extrapolation off it, but I really liked seeing some holes made at the LOS big enough to drive a truck through in the Pitts game. And, this was done with a make shift line. Again, it's only half way through the pre-season, but I think now that Kugs has total control of the line ( not to disparage Jim Macs ) I feel we will run a lot better. Maybe I'm putting too much into this but I think we started improving when he came on board. With another year under his belt, RBs knowing the plays better, I think we are going to run even better than last year.

Trents passing definitely opened things up some and even with all kinds of line guys out of position, we moved it on the ground with 1st and 2nd teams in there. That will be so positive in close games during the season when we are running time off the clock.

So, all you ex linemen, coaches and astute fans, did our line play ( even with mix and switch ) and run game look good because it's pre-season, Kugs coaching, scheme, defense we are up against or was this just a flash in the pan. Your thoughts?

I seem to recall some thoughts that part of the reason our pass blocking was so good last year was due to Kugler being in charge of the pass blocking schemes, while J Mac was in charge of run blocking. Hence there was some optimism that the run game might improve just by virtue of Kugler now being responsible for the run blocking as well.

Certainly, we can't discount the value of play calling. Certainly, when the opposing defense knows exactly what play is coming and which side of the line you're running to, your job run blocking becomes more difficult. So, I'd think Turk's play calling is perhaps at least equally as important.

Is it possible that our most pathetic offense last year was primarily coaching and not so much the players?

Despite all that, I'd still say it's only game 2 of the preseason. So lets not get ahead of ourselves. However, it was darn nice to see the offense perform so well the other night.

Play calling and QB play certainly help the run game.

I really liked the way our line seemed to be in sync. No penalties. The move to Walker to LT gives us more power on that side. Not sure if its the scheme or the personnel but they really look crisp. I would keep this combination together as long as it functions like last week.

The line was better as a unit than we would expect from the preceived individual talent of it's members.

If other players are signed or show up I would not be in a great hurry to demote any member of this line as long as they show the cohesion they did last week.

Prefixed by 'It's only pre-season', the running game appears to be improving through a combination of everything addressed in this thread. I'd add that Lynch seems more aware of the OL's blocking schemes and I think he's getting the ball deeper in the pocket, giving him an extra second to see what's developing.

Sarcasm aside, there wasn't much room left in league standings to go backwards..