Manning/Leaf, Bledsoe/Mirer...Edwards/Beck!?!?

QBs Edwards, Beck headed down different paths

TORONTO - They are boom-and-bust quarterbacks forever linked in NFL draft lore.

Duos like Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. Drew Bledsoe and Rick Mirer.

And if the preseason is any indication, Class of 2007 members Trent Edwards and John Beck may soon be joining that list.

They aren't as high-profile as those other two tandems, but Edwards and Beck share a connection through the Miami Dolphins. Had last year's draft unfolded in just a slightly different fashion, Edwards might be in the same precarious position that Beck now finds himself in.

An NFL source said Thursday that Beck is on the trading block. Beck slipped to fourth on Miami's depth chart following the recent signing of former New York Jets starter Chad Pennington.

As for Edwards, he continued to cement himself as Buffalo's starter during Thursday night's 24-21 win against Pittsburgh in Toronto. Looking much sharper than in his preseason debut last Saturday against Washington, Edwards was 9-of-11 passing for 104 yards and two touchdowns in two series of action. He even showcased some surprising mobility with a 22-yard scrabble.

We'll never know if Edwards would be doing so well if he were in South Florida.

I don't know how they can really make that comparison, unless the Dolphins were torn between Beck and Edwards and chose Edwards

Leaf and Manning were 2 players that were being debated on between who would be the better #1 pick. One ended up a first ballot HOFer, the other is out of football. Its also a little early to call Beck a bust, he is only going into his second season, he has just fallen out of favour with a team thats desperate for a starter right now and changing FO regimes

I don't know of anyone else that were seriously considering Edwards that early in the draft besides Buffalo

To me, comparing Edwards and Beck to Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf's scenario is a joke. #1 and #2 overall, with a ton of debate on both sides prior to the draft is a far cry from Beck at the top of the 2nd round and Edwards in the 3rd. Ridiculous comparison and article in general IMO.

The whole premise of the article is ridiculous! Aaah two consecutively selected quarterbacks spanning the entire history of the draft have gone boom/bust! Must be a pattern there! I'll apply it to two non-first round quarterbacks and call it news!

The whole premise of the article is ridiculous! Aaah two consecutively selected quarterbacks spanning the entire history of the draft have gone boom/bust! Must be a pattern there! I'll apply it to two non-first round quarterbacks and call it news!

Michael Phelps/The Big Cat :P:worthy:

Next up on the Boom and Bust Chronicles: Billy Joe Hobert and Mark Brunell - two 1993 draft picks with very different careeres.

Didn't they win a National Championship together, or am I thinking of someone else?