Oil Companies make $1400... A SECOND

Fingon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. The dude pulled a real bait and switch there...

I'm mostly conservative and consider myself to be a capitalist, but I have to call major BS here.

When they say the oil companies make $1,400 a second, they are talking about PROFIT, no? NOT revenue. So although they do have to pay $4,000 a second in taxes, the net isn't a loss. Add $4,000 a second in taxes to the other $15,000 a second in cost. That means if there are no other costs, they are brining in $20,400 a second in revenue. boo f'ing hoo.

That means if there are no other costs, they are brining in $20,400 a second in revenue. boo f'ing hoo.

OK, do the math on a population basis - for estimated 4 billion people in the developed/developing world, it's 5/10,000 of a penny every second. Now, turn your head, see how much petroleum is around your every day life and ask if that's too much?

Wow. There are too many assumptions to list with that figure. Are the oil companies just US companies--if so you can't take the world population. Are the "oil companies" profits counting delivery, or the entire process from oil well to end use?

It looks like they are just looking at Exxon's profits. Not every oil company in the world...

Are the "oil companies" profits counting delivery, or the entire process from oil well to end use?

End to end, and not counting R&D expenses or reinvestment. I love the way everyone argues about how the oil companies make "too much" money without knowing a single thing about how the pricing and profits are structured.

Are the oil companies just US companies--if so you can't take the world population.

What? That's the stupidest thing I've read in a while. You think Exxon only does business in and derives proifits from the US? Yeah, I'm sure when an Exxon-owned tanker ships fuel oil from Singapore to Dubai, it does so for free.

Are the "oil companies" profits counting delivery, or the entire process from oil well to end use?

End to end, and not counting R&D expenses or reinvestment. I love the way everyone argues about how the oil companies make "too much" money without knowing a single thing about how the pricing and profits are structured.

What? That's the stupidest thing I've read in a while. You think Exxon only does business in and derives proifits from the US? Yeah, I'm sure when an Exxon-owned tanker ships fuel oil from Singapore to Dubai, it does so for free.

What's idiotic is you can't look at Exxon's revenue and simply divide it by the world's population and use that figure to show how much Exxon brings in per person in the world. That was my point, but your stupid post ignores what I wrote.

What's idiotic is you can't look at Exxon's revenue and simply divide it by the world's population and use that figure to show how much Exxon brings in per person in the world. That was my point, but your stupid post ignores what I wrote.

Maybe that's the point you should have made then, hmmm?

And it's still a stupid point. Exxon provides services internationally...so you'd ignore that because they're HQ'd in the US? You'd just assume that Exxon profits are all on the backs of American consumers? Because that's what your idiotic little posts are clearly implying. Why not instead do something sensible, like divide Exxon's domestic revenue stream by the US population, and get a number that starts to be remotely meaningful. Or is that too sensible for you to wrap your little mind around?

Maybe that's the point you should have made then, hmmm?

And it's still a stupid point. Exxon provides services internationally...so you'd ignore that because they're HQ'd in the US? You'd just assume that Exxon profits are all on the backs of American consumers? Because that's what your idiotic little posts are clearly implying. Why not instead do something sensible, like divide Exxon's domestic revenue stream by the US population, and get a number that starts to be remotely meaningful. Or is that too sensible for you to wrap your little mind around?

I did, but I guess some people are too stupid or stubborn to notice.

Yes Exxon provides services internationally, but you'd have to add up every other oil company in the world to see how much revenue per person "oil companies" are making.

Pepsi wouldn't divide up their sales by the world population to come up with a figure of "soft drink sales per capita." Why because it's not adding in Coke, Mountain Dew, insert your favorite beverage, and because perhaps Pepsi doesn't have a presense everywhere in the world.

I hope you're not too stupid to comprehend that.