Darian Barnes was on the field way too much

freester

If we play 2 or 3 TE+FB on every play. we our not going to succeed on offense. None of these guys is a threat of any type. We need playmakers on the field. The presence of these noncontributors limits the number of playmakers that we can have on the field at any time. It is now painfully obvious that we really didn't need to draft so may CB and we should have addressed our TE position earlier and gotten more of an impact player than Derek Fine. I predict the the jets TE Dustin Keller will have a huge year. He would have looked great in our uniform.

If we play 2 or 3 TE+FB on every play. we our not going to succeed on offense. None of these guys is a threat of any type. We need playmakers on the field. The presence of these noncontributors limits the number of playmakers that we can have on the field at any time. It is now painfully obvious that we really didn't need to draft so may CB and we should have addressed our TE position earlier and gotten more of an impact player than Derek Fine. I predict the the jets TE Dustin Keller will have a huge year. He would have looked great in our uniform.

I didnt watch the whole game but the little I did see he was not very effective. I saw him get blown up in the backfield a few times...

Should have drafted San Diego's fullback/running back, Jacob Hester out of LSU, he would've fit perfectly into our system. :thumbsup:

Should have drafted San Diego's fullback/running back, Jacob Hester out of LSU, he would've fit perfectly into our system. :D

That would have been awesome, He is also an offensive threat. read the stats about his first preseason game.

It appears that they had extra TEs / FB in because their best blocking WR was out, last year's starting TE was out on strike or checked into Ricky William's church (equally likely from what he has communcated), and they wanted to limit number of hits on QBs by opposing players.

There was no good reason for this team to go with a traditional fullback. When they did they should have acquired one who they could at least throw the ball to to keep defenses honest. Signing Darian Barnes to be a starter on your team is like saying you need a starting QB and luring Kelly Holcomb or Vinny Testaverde out of retirement. We had this discussion in the offseason when Turk said he was going to do away with the H-back. They implemented the H-back because they weren't satisfied with the results they got from having a traditional FB under Mularkey. Never ceases to amaze me how this team repeats it's own mistakes.

For some reason, every offseason this team forgets or fails to identify the areas where they are truly lacking and does not do enough to address those areas. This team was in desperate need of playmakers and depth on the lines and instead rushed out to sign a LB and used their top pick on a CB. Yeah, they picked up Stroud, but the guy comes with a ton of baggage and they are expecting him to be a player he hasn't been in years. They were right in addressing WR early, but the biggest need this team has offensively is a big TE to work the middle of the field. Right now, they have 3 talented receivers who all make their living on the outside and they get no respect in the middle of the field from opposing defenses.

There was no good reason for this team to go with a traditional fullback. When they did they should have acquired one who they could at least throw the ball to to keep defenses honest. Signing Darian Barnes to be a starter on your team is like saying you need a starting QB and luring Kelly Holcomb or Vinny Testaverde out of retirement. We had this discussion in the offseason when Turk said he was going to do away with the H-back. They implemented the H-back because they weren't satisfied with the results they got from having a traditional FB under Mularkey. Never ceases to amaze me how this team repeats it's own mistakes.

For some reason, every offseason this team forgets or fails to identify the areas where they are truly lacking and does not do enough to address those areas. This team was in desperate need of playmakers and depth on the lines and instead rushed out to sign a LB and used their top pick on a CB. Yeah, they picked up Stroud, but the guy comes with a ton of baggage and they are expecting him to be a player he hasn't been in years. They were right in addressing WR early, but the biggest need this team has offensively is a big TE to work the middle of the field. Right now, they have 3 talented receivers who all make their living on the outside and they get no respect in the middle of the field from opposing defenses.

I can understand your point of view but hope you are wrong and so I can't quite agree.

I would have like to see them pick up an Oline man or two, too . The Bills need to have a good running game that shoves the ball down another teams throat. The speed defenses that teams are running these days are small. A smash mouth line with a fullback could work (don't know if the Bills have the personal to do it but.....). The FO thinks that with the rule changes this year the game will go more towards the run, IMO (and I read it somewhere this year too LOL). TEs that catch and block are too hard to groom and I personally didn't like too many in the draft or FAs this year either. With the WRs we have now, I could see some good things happening but it depends on Trent's year.

We really need to have Peters too!!!!!!!!!

I hope your wrong about Stroud, looks like he may have a few years in him. We defineitly needed some bulk.

I guess I think that with the snow games in Bflo. and Trent's inexperience they felt they needed to get a fullback. I hope ML and FJ can find some room behind Barnes and the plan works out. If it doesn't they get my ok to put them both in there and two tight ends if they need to, then we do have some playmakers on the turf (esply. if we pass to them in that formation). Believe me I share your concerns but hopefully yesterday was just practice and they won't suck by 3 weeks from now.