K Williams and B Butler

billybob

someone remind me why we had to pay these guys more- Williams just got destroyed on running plays and spent his time on passing plays jumping at the line of scrimmage as if he had a chance in heck of getting his stubby no hops hand up to block a pass- Brad Butler can't run block to save his life - is that no longer a requirement for a OG.

This past week @ St. John Fischer I watched Brad Butler try to block the Dline men with his back to them! Butler was a crossing guard w/ arms stretched out as they ran through him. :thumbsup: He looked terrible!!

As I witnessed this I i then realized two things:

1. We need Jason Peters.

2. With poor blocking like this, Trent will get injured and JP will see significant playing time.

So why did we spend $ on Butler?? I am unsure.

This past week @ St. John Fischer I watched Brad Butler try to block the Dline men with his back to them! Butler was a crossing guard w/ arms stretched out as they ran through him. :thumbsup: He looked terrible!!

1. We need Jason Peters.

2. With poor blocking like this, Trent will get injured and JP will see significant playing time.

Yeah I agree there was no reason why we should give money to an unproven linemen that had one o.k. year.

1. We need Jason Peters.

We spend money on Butler because:

1. He is the best we got at RG.

Preston has had every chance to make this job his and simply has not cut it in anyone assessment (if you can make the case then I sure folks would love to hear it) and Whittle is the back-up in the LG slot and has the experience to make the jump to RG, but he is on the wrong side of 30 and it may be asking a lot to depend on as a back-up who will not get injured much less as a starter.

Folks can easily call for a replacement if they want, but these calls get reduced to mere whines and bleating without any suggestions of who folks see as a back-up.

To date such complaints have meaningless as they are alternative free or simply silly as the advocate impossible things like calling for an unobtainable player or railing about last year's draft which is done.

2. Rather than unproven as a commodity, Butler had a year with pretty good results last year. With him as a first time starter the OL saw fewer sacks recorded than ever before for the Bills and the running game though not a forced up the gut on short yardage did open up holes enough for Lynch to have a good rookie year.

Overall, Butler dropped to the second day of the draft not due to physical talent or skills but because of an episode on horrendous discipline and character on his part. Still all signs point to him being a quality guy besides this sordid episode and if he keeps his nose clean like he did last year he should be a phenomenal get for us.

Preston has had every chance to make this job his and simply has not cut it in anyone assessment (if you can make the case then I sure folks would love to hear it) and Whittle is the back-up in the LG slot and has the experience to make the jump to RG, but he is on the wrong side of 30 and it may be asking a lot to depend on as a back-up who will not get injured much less as a starter.

Folks can easily call for a replacement if they want, but these calls get reduced to mere whines and bleating without any suggestions of who folks see as a back-up.

To date such complaints have meaningless as they are alternative free or simply silly as the advocate impossible things like calling for an unobtainable player or railing about last year's draft which is done.

2. Rather than unproven as a commodity, Butler had a year with pretty good results last year. With him as a first time starter the OL saw fewer sacks recorded than ever before for the Bills and the running game though not a forced up the gut on short yardage did open up holes enough for Lynch to have a good rookie year.

Overall, Butler dropped to the second day of the draft not due to physical talent or skills but because of an episode on horrendous discipline and character on his part. Still all signs point to him being a quality guy besides this sordid episode and if he keeps his nose clean like he did last year he should be a phenomenal get for us.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice the deficiencies at the RG position. IIRC, I don't think we drafted a OL in April. If things don't improve on O the next 3 weeks, all leverage goes to Peters' agent.

Wasn't there a quote somewhere that he said he was still hurt from an injury in college his rookie year? He didn't really play at all that year, then came back from injury in the fourth pre-season and wont he right guard job. I thought that's why he dropped...

You've got to be kidding? You're counting sacks? Did you bother to look at other factors such as 1st-down conversions, 3rd-down conversions, offensive yardage, and offensive scoring at all? Or are you one of those that thinks that just because you allow more sacks you lose?

Sacks are one component. People here completely overreact to sacks. Why not just fumble on 1st down of every possession? You'll have zero sacks on the whole season and set an NFL record for fewest sacks allowed.

Can we think outside of the box here. And a small box it is.

You've got to be kidding? You're counting sacks? Did you bother to look at other factors such as 1st-down conversions, 3rd-down conversions, offensive yardage, and offensive scoring at all? Or are you one of those that thinks that just because you allow more sacks you lose?

Sacks are one component. People here completely overreact to sacks. Why not just fumble on 1st down of every possession? You'll have zero sacks on the whole season and set an NFL record for fewest sacks allowed.

Can we think outside of the box here. And a small box it is.

The small box which my post covers is mostly designed to answer the even smaller box being used by those who seem to simply say Butler is horrible and throw the bum out as this "unproven commodity does nothing.

The small box my post throws out there clearly does not do anywhere near a thorough or complete job of discussing Butler's minuses and plusses, it merely attempts to address the question of those who claim to have no idea of knowing why we pay the guy.

Sacks are overrated if one is foolish enough to think that is the only reflection of what an OL player is supposed to do. This is why in addition to briefly mentioning the sack total as ONE measure of some accomplishment by the OL with Butler, the original post also mentions the positives of the OL blocking for Lynch allowing him to have an good season for a rookie last year.

It would be foolish for anyone to think that one passing game stat is the descriptor of whether an OL player is good. The only thing more foolish than that argument would be for someone to for some reason assume this is the only measure one is using to judge Butler when on the face of it, the post does reference some good results also achieved running the ball.

The response post never makes the claim Butler is great (in fact I do not think he is) what is foolish is to question an assertion which is never made in the original post. It merely answers the question, why do we use him. 1. He is better than Preston and a more reliable bet than Whittle (do you disagree) and that rather than being an unproven commodity, Butler has proven with the positives the OL produced last year (do you agree that the sack total was a positive and the Lynch's year was a positive?)

My sense that these two showings were a positive though it is totally obvious that they were not adequate in and of themselves as we finished 7-9 and as I have stated repetitively I am very happy Fairchild is gone.

The small box is why you seem to argue against idiotic things that were never said or argued for.