My guess about who is a happy man today...

There's a pretty big difference between getting in the pro bowl and being hall of fame level. Vince Young made the pro bowl, but no one in their right mind would argue that he's a hall of famer.

Ask those same people what they think of him now.

Its also not just judged on the four seasons where he was a successful quarterback, but his entire career.

I've never once heard a hall of fame voter vote someone into the hall of fame because of how excited he made the fans of a city, or because he was an upgrade over a former player.

The accomplishments you point to were all short, initial-love periods that were defined by serious disappointment. Because he was initially popular in Buffalo doesn't mean he is still popular through the entire league.

Ask Dallas fans what they think of the guy, ask Buffalo fans, ask NE fans, hell, ask my roommates who are Texans fans - they'll tell you that he was a decent guy, probably even a decent quarterback, but not ONE would think he's HOF worthy.

There isn't even a discussion about whether he's hall of fame worthy in the media, which almost any player that has the slightest shot gets (see: John Lynch).

Bringing up Vince Young is pretty lame. Of course noone is going to be discussing VY as a hall of famer. He just started his career. Let it play out first.

As far as Bledsoe, make no mistake about it he will be in the discussion for the HOF. Whenever a qb thows for 45,000 yards & 257 td passes they are going to get some consideration. Bledsoe was the main cog in revitalizing that franchise. Alot of the people associated with the Patriots credit Bledsoe as the main cog or key piece in getting their new stadium built. He revitalized their fan base & no matter what anybody say he also revitalized the bills fan base although it certainly was shortlived.

In the end I think he will remain on the fringe of the HOF with his denial being based on the fact that he lost his job 3 times to at the time were unproven qbs. But think of this when you want to automatically discredit bledsoe from being in the HOF. His career stats were 44,611 yrds passing, 251 tds & 206 ints. Kelly's stats were 35467 yrds, 237 tds & 175 ints. Passer ratings were 77.1 for bledsoe & 84.8 for Kelly. Kelly was a first ballot hofer, tell me one reason why after comparing these stats why Bledsoe will not even be considered for the HOF?

& just to note I would take Kelly anyday of the week over Bledsoe but based on stats it is obvious bledsoe deserves consideration.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end I think he will remain on the fringe of the HOF with his denial being based on the fact that he lost his job 3 times to at the time were unproven qbs. But think of this when you want to automatically discredit bledsoe from being in the HOF. His career stats were 44,611 yrds passing, 251 tds & 206 ints. Kelly's stats were 35467 yrds, 237 tds & 175 ints. Passer ratings were 77.1 for bledsoe & 84.8 for Kelly. Kelly was a first ballot hofer, tell me one reason why after comparing these stats why Bledsoe will not even be considered for the HOF?

On the whole, DB had a "good" career. The numbers suggest this. Fact is, when you move your eyes off the numbers and fix them on him for a good chunk of his career, he was just not "that" good.

That 77.1 career rating is awful, BTW. He's a "compiler". NO WAY he gets in.

On the whole, DB had a "good" career. The numbers suggest this. Fact is, when you move your eyes off the numbers and fix them on him for a good chunk of his career, he was just not "that" good.

That 77.1 career rating is awful, BTW. He's a "compiler". NO WAY he gets in.

I do think your right. But he will be in the discussion for alot of the years.

His lifetime stats are similar to Vinnie Testaverde's. I think you are right about Bledsoe being on the fringe of the HOF.

I think most fans see both of them as players who always showed up prepared, and played the best that they could.

Bringing up Vince Young is pretty lame. Of course noone is going to be discussing VY as a hall of famer. He just started his career. Let it play out first.

Missed my point.

<Insert whoever has made the pro bowl a couple times, but who is obviously not a HOFer>. There are plenty of them, he just came to my mind first.

Looking over the 2001 pro bowl roster, here are just some examples:

- Rich Gannon

- Kordell Stewart

- Priest Holmes

- Corey Dillon

- Troy Brown

- Jermaine Lewis

- Ken Dilger

- Donovan McNabb

- Kurt Warner

- Ahman Green

- David Boston

- Byron Chamberlain

- Jamir Miller

- Marcellus Wiley

- Kendrell Bell

- Sam Adams

- Deltha O'Neal

- Jeremiah Trotter

- Sammy Knight

- Lavar Arrington

As far as Bledsoe, make no mistake about it he will be in the discussion for the HOF. Whenever a qb thows for 45,000 yards & 257 td passes they are going to get some consideration. Bledsoe was the main cog in revitalizing that franchise. Alot of the people associated with the Patriots credit Bledsoe as the main cog or key piece in getting their new stadium built. He revitalized their fan base & no matter what anybody say he also revitalized the bills fan base although it certainly was shortlived.

Since when has getting a stadium built and revitalizing a fan base (both times unhappy marriages) qualify you to be in the HOF?

Easy, two reasons: Kelly had 8 seasons with over 80 passer rating, with one at 97.6 and one at 101.2. Bledsoe had 5 above an 80 passer rating, with the highest being a 87.7. Kelly never had a season below 70, and only one year (his last one) below 75. Bledsoe had 3 seasons below 70. Kelly led his team to 4 AFC Championships, Bledsoe made one pass as a backup that got his team to the Super Bowl.

Kelly was consistently a solid QB in the NFL. Bledsoe was not very consistent at all.

& just to note I would take Kelly anyday of the week over Bledsoe but based on stats it is obvious bledsoe deserves consideration.

Based on stats its obvious Bledsoe isn't good enough.

Which is exactly why I did not state this factual event to argue he should be in the HOF because of it, simply to respond to a post which claimed that no one seriously considers DB an exceptional QB and also this poster argued that no one would make the claim he is (was) popular.

I made the claim that no one currently considers DB an exceptional QB, and that he isn't currently popular.

You are attempting to argue that his popularity and reputation will get him into the hall. In order to make this argument you need to establish that he is currently popular and has a good reputation, not that he used to be popular and have a good reputation.

What you've argued is that he used to be popular, not that he is currently popular. You also have argued that he used to be considered a good QB, not that he is currently considered such.

The 4 Pro Bowl berths do not cinch an argument he should be in the HOF (personally I would remove OJ from the HOF after he beat the rap for killing two people but certainly the NFL rules say it is just about football but for me human rules take precedence but I am not in charge) but they are a strong indication that his peers, coaches and fans found him to be an exceptional QB for roughly a third of his career.

Once again, having 4 good seasons over a 14 year career isn't enough to make the hall of fame.

Likewise also the fact that there was such a massive outpouring of public interest and folks putting cash down when he was signed are not arguments at all should go in the hall.

They are arguments that he used to be popular, not that he is popular.

However, anyone in their right mind would understand if the read English that stating this factual event does that the argument replied to in the post that no one could rationally argue that Bledsoe was popular was simply wrong.

The argument is NOT that Bledsoe was/was not popular, but that he is not popular TODAY, which is what matters when saying someone is going to get into the hof based off of their reputation.