Ever been to Tahiti? (Moorea Island)

I'll be flying back to the states with my wife and kids this September/October. Yea!

On the way back to New Zealand, we're going to have a 5 day lay-over in Tahiti.

From what I hear, Papeete (where we fly into) isn't really the island paradise that you associate with imagining an island paradise. As a result, I'm planning on taking the family over to Moorea Island to stay at a little place on the west coast before we have to return to Papeete to catch our flight back to NZ.

If any of you fellow travellers have been to Tahiti, I would really appreciate your advice, if you have any. Just so you know... the big ritzy hotels are not our style at all.

Cheers.

Go Bills

I'll be flying back to the states with my wife and kids this September/October. Yea!

From what I hear, Papeete (where we fly into) isn't really the island paradise that you associate with imagining an island paradise. As a result, I'm planning on taking the family over to Moorea Island to stay at a little place on the west coast before we have to return to Papeete to catch our flight back to NZ.

If any of you fellow travellers have been to Tahiti, I would really appreciate your advice, if you have any. Just so you know... the big ritzy hotels are not our style at all.

Cheers.

Go Bills

Good call on not staying in Papeete - that's really the city/port where everything coming to/from French Polynesia is located. It's not what you think of when you think of Tahiti and pardise. It is congested and somewhat dirty.

Moorea is very nice - much more of what you think of when you think of paradise. I was there for my honeymoon 12 years ago and we loved it. I can't advise anything on hotels/restuarants, etc. as they may no longer be there, but I can tell you some of the beaches are beautiful. I recommend going up to the Belvedere lookout in the mountains - really amazing views. There is also a waterfall you can go to (not really posted on maps but all the locals can tell the tourists how to get there). A bit of a hike but amazing when you get there - something out of a movie.

Things are vey expensive in French Polynesia because everything has to come from Australia/NZ or the U.S. (and even a bunch of things from France as there is still a decent French influence and lots of French tourists). Local items like fish and fresh fruit are cheap and delicious, but if you want a candybar from home, sunscreen, etc. you're going to pay through the nose - bring as much of that stuff as you can.

I'd love to go back someday, perhaps when the U.S. Dollar is worth more than the Mexican Peso...

PM me if you have any specific questions you think I can help you with.

Cheers.

Go Bills

Not a bad place for a low budget vacation but bring your own sunblock. I once bought a French brand called matiere graisse or something like that and I fried. French people like to overtan.

Nice! My wife and I were on Moorea last year. It’s a ten minute puddle jumper from Papeete. Other than almost spending the first night in the Moorea airport -- not exactly JFK -- it was a great trip and we'd really like to go back some day. The island is beautiful, lots to explore and the people were very nice. I didn't see Papeete other than the airport so I can't comment, but from my research it seems like it is not the most worthwhile of the islands to stay.

Being from the east I kinda expect islands to look like most of the Caribbean -- hotels walled off from crushing and rather depressing poverty. But I saw almost none of that on Moorea. I wouldn't have set off down the road to the local market in Barbados but absolute did it in Moorea.

Plus, the beaches are full of topless Euro-hotties. :unsure:

Nice! Sounds good to me!

Do you remember where you guys stayed? If looks like we're going to go to "Club Bali Hai" which is located on Cooks Bay.

Nice! My wife and I were on Moorea last year. It’s a ten minute puddle jumper from Papeete. Other than almost spending the first night in the Moorea airport -- not exactly JFK -- it was a great trip and we'd really like to go back some day. The island is beautiful, lots to explore and the people were very nice. I didn't see Papeete other than the airport so I can't comment, but from my research it seems like it is not the most worthwhile of the islands to stay.

Being from the east I kinda expect islands to look like most of the Caribbean -- hotels walled off from crushing and rather depressing poverty. But I saw almost none of that on Moorea. I wouldn't have set off down the road to the local market in Barbados but absolute did it in Moorea.

Plus, the beaches are full of topless Euro-hotties. :lol:

How much of a hassle will it be if I/we can't speak French?

None at all if you go places where they get foreign visitors (hotels, bars, restaurants, sites). Now if your plan is to go off the beaten path and do things/go places usually reserved for locals, then you might have an issue - then you might need to know french or the local Polynesian language.

I did a cruise there about 5 years ago and it was amazing. I was on the Paul Gaugin. Moorea was beautiful, I also enjoyed Bora Bora as well. (go to Bloody Mary's.) The whole area was paradise as far as I was concered. I definitely plan on going back some time in the next few years. There are thses cool hotels that are basically huts right on the water, they seemed like a great place to stay. We did a bunch of fun things like swimming with sharks and rays (that was before the Steve Irwin thing), jet skiing around bora bora, etc. Best vacation I ever went on, you will love Moorea.