FIOS opinions needed

Dr. Fong

Don't have it but want it bad. Unfortunately it is not available in my area. Fios apparently does not compress there HD signal unlike Cable and to some degree Directv. Some of my friends have it and there HD signal does seem better. like I said I would get it if were available to me me. I would get it for internet use though as only directv has NFL Ticket. Check this out too:

http://www.reelsmart.com/2006/02/10/verizo...tible-and-fast/

http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/opinions/fios.html

Several people at work have it. I'm stuck with Verizon DSL until they deploy it to apartments.

Pros:

- Service isn't capped. You can basically use all the bandwidth you want and they won't complain.

- They don't packet forge, unlike Comcast and Time Warner.

- It's fiber-to-the-home, not fiber-to-the-node. AT&T's UVerse and all cable companies implement FTTN, which significantly limits available bandwidth.

- Speed and reliability are tremendous. Nobody that I know has any complaints in this area.

- They don't force you to take on phone or TV, but they'll charge you extra if you don't subscribe to phone service.

Cons:

- Billing system is REALLY screwed up, and getting it corrected is hard.. Check out dslreports.com for more info on complaints in this area.

- Installation takes awhile and you'll have to plan ahead - i.e. where you want them to install the box, route cables, etc.

- You lose copper phone service. If your area has frequent, prolonged power outages, then this can be a problem. However, they do provide a battery backup that should last you a few hours.

Several people at work have it. I'm stuck with Verizon DSL until they deploy it to apartments.

Pros:

- Service isn't capped. You can basically use all the bandwidth you want and they won't complain.

- They don't packet forge, unlike Comcast and Time Warner.

- It's fiber-to-the-home, not fiber-to-the-node. AT&T's UVerse and all cable companies implement FTTN, which significantly limits available bandwidth.

- Speed and reliability are tremendous. Nobody that I know has any complaints in this area.

- They don't force you to take on phone or TV, but they'll charge you extra if you don't subscribe to phone service.

Cons:

- Billing system is REALLY screwed up, and getting it corrected is hard.. Check out dslreports.com for more info on complaints in this area.

- Installation takes awhile and you'll have to plan ahead - i.e. where you want them to install the box, route cables, etc.

- You lose copper phone service. If your area has frequent, prolonged power outages, then this can be a problem. However, they do provide a battery backup that should last you a few hours.

Installation only took about 45 mins. Of course my house is only 2 yrs old so maybe that helped?? They installed the box and battery back up in the garage on the same wall where the cables came in from outside.

I live near Greenwich, CT and Ron Howard paid VZ millions for them to install FIOS in his gated community. Unlike the cable companies, FIOS isn't even close to reaching it's maximum capacity. Once FIOS is in and established they will expand offering into a great many more area's such a home security.

What's odd to me is that for DSL service, Verizon bundles with Direct TV and you can get the NFL Ticket. Take their FIOS package and you can't get the Direct TV included. You still need to put a large piece of gaudy cookware on top of your house. I'd rather they pipe in the DTV signal through their splendid glass fabric instead. But, apparently they don't do that.

What's odd to me is that for DSL service, Verizon bundles with Direct TV and you can get the NFL Ticket. Take their FIOS package and you can't get the Direct TV included. You still need to put a large piece of gaudy cookware on top of your house. I'd rather they pipe in the DTV signal through their splendid glass fabric instead. But, apparently they don't do that.

That would be because either DirecTV doesn't want to rebroadcast their signal that way, or it's technically very difficult to do so and would cost more than it's worth.

I find it amusing that some people are so against dishes, but don't mind having the stuipd cable junction boxes sticking out of their yard (unless that's only a midwest thing)

That would be because either DirecTV doesn't want to rebroadcast their signal that way, or it's technically very difficult to do so and would cost more than it's worth.

I find it amusing that some people are so against dishes, but don't mind having the stuipd cable junction boxes sticking out of their yard (unless that's only a midwest thing)

It's on my neighbor's yard. The clap trap has to hang from the house. There is a difference. For further proof - speak with my wife.

I think you're right about the rebroadcast thing - it's either policy or tech driven.