I'm still POd over 2 minute defense

Albany,n.y.

I got home a half hour ago, too tired to read all the other posts. I hope I'm not the only one who is going crazy over the 2 minute D. Once again we give up points in the last 2 minutes of the half. Fortunately at the end of the game Willis & Company made sure we didn't let our 2 minute D on the field. That drive at the end of the 1st half makes 4 of 5 games that we've folded our D in a 2 minute drill. This must stop!

I got home a half hour ago, too tired to read all the other posts.  I hope I'm not the only one who is going crazy over the 2 minute D.  Once again we give up points in the last 2 minutes of the half.  Fortunately at the end of the game Willis & Company made sure we didn't let our 2 minute D on the field.  That drive at the end of the 1st half makes 4 of 5 games that we've folded our D in  a 2 minute drill.  This must stop!

73733[/snapback]

For one thing, the CB's were giving way too much cushion. Even Alex Van Pelt made mention of this more than once. Whoever was supposed to cover McMichael, didn't. Blown coverage on McMichael more than a few times; the guy had no one even close to him and this has to be corrected.

I've never been a fan of Gray's "soft" defensives and we saw the results once again today.

For one thing, the CB's were giving way too much cushion. Even Alex Van Pelt made mention of this more than once. Whoever was supposed to cover McMichael, didn't. Blown coverage on McMichael more than a few times; the guy had no one even close to him and this has to be corrected.

I've never been a fan of Gray's "soft" defensives and we saw the results once again today.

73756[/snapback]

I'm not sure what you mean faulting the CB coverage and mentioning the McMichael coverage as a problem as McMichael is a TE and not the CBs responsibility generally. I thought the CBs generally were not challenged much in this game because Fiedler coul not throw downfield at all due to the wind and his ribs. If anyone had a bad day it was the safety position in my mind with a special notice to Izell Reese for an obvious penalty when he made no attempt on the ball at all. In addition, the passes Fielder did hit were short ones and RAC was a problem which points to the safeties rather than the CBs and actually probably points to the LBs depending on the D employed.

I'm not sure what you mean faulting the CB coverage and mentioning the McMichael coverage as a problem as McMichael is a TE and not the CBs responsibility generally.  I thought the CBs generally were not challenged much in this game because Fiedler coul not throw downfield at all due to the wind and his ribs.  If anyone had a bad day it was the safety position in my mind with a special notice to Izell Reese for an obvious penalty when he made no attempt on the ball at all.  In addition, the passes Fielder did hit were short ones and RAC was a problem which points to the safeties rather than the CBs and actually probably points to the LBs depending on the D employed.

73862[/snapback]

Two different issues. Maybe I should have been clearer. The CB, I believe it was McGee gave way too much cushion allowing Fiedler to hit those quick passes for 5-7 yards. These are the ones Van Pelt was commenting on. I know its not the CB's responsibility to cover McMichael but couldn't tell if Prioleau (he was on that side) had the TE responsibility or if Posey was supposed to pick him up.

The recurring problem with the Bills D is that they tend to leave the TE open a lot. How many games now do you see the opposing TE running wide open across or down the field without anyone even chasing him. It's not the the TE is beating anyone in particular, there just doesn't seem that anyone even has coverage on him. The question is, does the Bills D require the safety to check the TE first at the line and try to assess if he is going into a pattern then have the safety drop into coverage as help to the corners or is there possibly a miscommunication as to reads between the safety and LB? After Wire's comments following the New England game, is it possible that the safeties have to many check/reads at the line and get confused as to which coverage to be in? Also, the don't seem to be in on the play to often in run support and I'm thinking that they are just too confused on where to be at any given time.

I agree those soft defenses have given up way too many 3rd and longs and lost the three games of the year so far by giving it up on the the last drive of the game.

Jerry needs to drop that soft stuff out of the playbook. Keep playing tough the entire game.

73890[/snapback]

AMEN ! :)

This was in the first half though when the D line was not producing much pass rush. It will be interesting to see what happens with the sam adams/ron edwards thing. If shobel can start playing with speed again, he'll generate the sacks himself and by pushing the QB into the DT's. Also, we've got the ravens, who have a pretty crappy QB.