The Canadian Government is on the Buffalo's Side?

Explain two things:

A.) How this is "on the Buffalo's side"

B.) How the Canadian government doesn't have the authority to ban the NFL if they want

Its on Buffalo's side by removing a potential relocation site. If the Bills leave WNY for say, LA, the NFL will lose most of the upstate NY market, which collectively, ranks top 15 in the country.

The Candian govt can keep any business it wants out of Canada.

Its on Buffalo's side by removing a potential relocation site. If the Bills leave WNY for say, LA, the NFL will lose most of the upstate NY market, which collectively, ranks top 15 in the country.

A) just connecting point A to C thru B. Buffalo doesn't want the Bills to leave, the Canadian Government doesn't want the Bills to relocate to Toronto, therefore, Canadian government helping to keep Bills in Buffalo...it's a stretch but everyone else is grandstanding in their topic postings re: Hardy and Lynch so I figure I could use one too. <_<

B) I meant in the sense, you'd be hard-pressed to find the entire senate agree to keep a lucrative economy booster like the NFL out of Canada to protect its league. No-compete laws rarely get passed.

A) just connecting point A to C thru B. Buffalo doesn't want the Bills to leave, the Canadian Government doesn't want the Bills to relocate to Toronto, therefore, Canadian government helping to keep Bills in Buffalo...it's a stretch but everyone else is grandstanding in their topic postings re: Hardy and Lynch so I figure I could use one too. <_<

B) I meant in the sense, you'd be hard-pressed to find the entire senate agree to keep a lucrative economy booster like the NFL out of Canada to protect its league. No-compete laws rarely get passed.

There's nothing on Earth faster that a politician running to get at the front of a parade. :flirt:

'Cept that the revenue loss would lead the Bills to move earlier, especially once they got sold and were in a much worse position financially than currently.

Do you know that they rarely get passed in Canada? I, personally, don't have a clue - but I could see some sense of "national pride" in the CFL want to prevent the NFL from moving in.

'Cept that the revenue loss would lead the Bills to move earlier, especially once they got sold and were in a much worse position financially than currently.

Do you know that they rarely get passed in Canada? I, personally, don't have a clue - but I could see some sense of "national pride" in the CFL want to prevent the NFL from moving in.

There would have to be a market for the Bills to move. I don't see the NFL abandoning upstate NY for LA. Jax for LA maybe.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/20...#socialcomments

A senator from British Columbia has introduced a bill hoping to prevent the National Football League from expanding north of the border.

Interesting if anything foolish to think a government could pass a bill preventing a sports league from setting shop....

It happened in 1974, when the government proposed the Canadian Football Act to keep the WFL from locating a team in Toronto. The act never became official, but the threat was enough to make the WFL change their minds and put the team in Memphis instead.

Times have changed, though. I've been told that Campbell might gather some support from the western provinces, but the Harper administration isn't likely to back it.

I'm not sure I gather what you're saying in your first point. Can you please clarify? I'm just stating that this would take away a relocation option (Toronto) away from the Bills moving team.

I can only think of two instances where American businesses were prevented from coming into Canada and that was in the case of satellite companies. Canada was able to get that passed due to our airtime regulation laws. The last high-profile case was trying to prevent Walmart (years ago) from crossing the border but judging by the 10 I have in a five mile radius that one didn't pass...

It happened in 1974, when the government proposed the Canadian Football Act to keep the WFL from locating a team in Toronto. The act never became official, but the threat was enough to make the WFL change their minds and put the team in Memphis instead.

Times have changed, though. I've been told that Campbell might gather some support from the western provinces, but the Harper administration isn't likely to back it.

They tried to re-enact that bill too when the World League of American Football (later NFL Europe) put a team a Montreal (the Machine I recall...)

I'm not sure I gather what you're saying in your first point. Can you please clarify? I'm just stating that this would take away a relocation option (Toronto) away from the Bills moving team.

It would also prevent the Bills from expanding their market there though, which would cause a huge problem once the team is sold and has to take on a mortgage. This might in fact encourage the franchise to relocate - just not to Toronto.

There would have to be a market for the Bills to move. I don't see the NFL abandoning upstate NY for LA. Jax for LA maybe.

I'd think that Portland would be pretty attractive, outside of LA. 23rd largest media market (compared to 55th for Buffalo).

It would also prevent the Bills from expanding their market there though, which would cause a huge problem once the team is sold and has to take on a mortgage. This might in fact encourage the franchise to relocate - just not to Toronto.

I'd think that Portland would be pretty attractive, outside of LA. 23rd largest media market (compared to 55th for Buffalo).

They are about to lose their basketball team, so I don't think so.

First of all Buffalo is #50.....but the way they figure that out is flawed.....they lump together places like San Fran, Oakland, and San Jose into 1 market......but yet Buffalo (50), Rochester(78), and Syracuse(80) are separate....put them together (like they should) and there ya go.....don't use skewed statistics that only prove your point...it's not good research!

Canada is NOT the United States. They have a very strong national identity, and realize if they don't pass laws protecting their culture the US will over run it. For this reason they have laws that state a certain percentage of music must be Canadian on their radio stations (I think 60%) & a certain percent of programing must originate from Canada on their TV Stations. I would not be surprised at all to see such a law pass in Canada.

They are about to lose their basketball team, so I don't think so.

That's Seattle, not Portland.

Canada is NOT the United States. They have a very strong national identity, and realize if they don't pass laws protecting their culture the US will over run it. For this reason they have laws that state a certain percentage of music must be Canadian on their radio stations (I think 60%) & a certain percent of programing must originate from Canada on their TV Stations. I would not be surprised at all to see such a law pass in Canada.

You do realize you were replying to someone who lives in Ottawa, right? <_<

First of all Buffalo is #50.....but the way they figure that out is flawed.....they lump together places like San Fran, Oakland, and San Jose into 1 market......but yet Buffalo (50), Rochester(78), and Syracuse(80) are separate....put them together (like they should) and there ya go.....don't use skewed statistics that only prove your point...it's not good research!

Doesn't matter for advertising revenue, eh - they base that upon ratings and the size of the market.

You do realize you were replying to someone who lives in Ottawa, right? :lol:

:thumbsup:

Thanks Lori! I'm well aware of content regulation (which is challenged constantly by TV and music stations) but the government can't step in and decide for the public's well-being if the public wants NFL football.

The senator would have to prove within a shadow of doubt that a team in ONE city would heavily impact the rest of the Canadian Football League. The defense would just show that as a Canadian football market, Toronto has been diminishing because the city wants NFL and that an NFL team in eastern Ontario cannot affect the attendance of a team in Vancouver.

It would be a near impossible bill to pass, especially considering that almost 30% of MPs (house representatives) are based in Ontario and lobbyists would use the economic benefits of NFL money to push their agenda to strike the bill down.

This would fly as far as a government bill preventing the movement of NHL teams (a far greater part of our nation's fabric) from moving to the US. Ask Winnipeg and Quebec City if the government helped them there.

Not under NAFTA. The bill is dead on arrival.

And the bill is merely window dressing by a BC Senator to please the BC Lions owner David Braley, who strongly opposes the NFL going to Canada. Unlike the US Senate, the Canadian Senate has no power. Such a bill would never pass the House of Commons, which is where real power resides.

This story is a non-story.