Last night's debate on CSPAN

Adam

Each candidate had a representative on a CSPAN debate last night. I think it went well for Obama on the Iraq debate, but McCain's rep cleaned house on the energy crisis- was very high on digging and the potential for nuclear energy. Obama's was big on biofuels (which could be great but are a long way from reality right now) and hedged on nuclear power.

People are too worried about nuclear- it is much safer than it used to be, and much cheaper than any other alternative (please correct me if I am wrong). People are too worried about what they see in movies, IMHO.

I think the main issue is the "not in my backyard" argument. Who wants a nuclear plant or an oil refinery built in their neighborhood. And the questionable government oversight of industries lately makes the public nervous about whether they would be built according to guidelines.

Each candidate had a representative on a CSPAN debate last night. I think it went well for Obama on the Iraq debate, but McCain's rep cleaned house on the energy crisis- was very high on digging and the potential for nuclear energy. Obama's was big on biofuels (which could be great but are a long way from reality right now) and hedged on nuclear power.

People are too worried about nuclear- it is much safer than it used to be, and much cheaper than any other alternative (please correct me if I am wrong). People are too worried about what they see in movies, IMHO.

Nucular is fine but it's a longer term solution because the lead time on new nucular plants is so long (and regulation is not all to blame for that--it's just a long process).

The only solution that could help fix the immediate problem is less demand. Nucular, renewables, tapping places like ANWAR or other off-shore reserves, and higher efficiency/recycling devices will make a significant dent in energy prices in 15+ years. For now, we're stuck with the awful combination of high prices and high demand.