Rules Question

Ramius

what was the call on that...the ball never went out of bounds, the player was standing OB when he touched the ball while it was still inbounds...i thought that was a penalty, going OB and being the first to touch it...miami should have gotten it on the 3, not the 40...

Can someone clarify this for me?

I commented on this on a different thread -- it's just like the play that New England beat us on when their player was unconscious out of bounds. If you're out of bounds and touch the ball, the ball is considered out of bounds. Lame, but there it is.

CW

seems to me that the player is an out of bounds object, therefore if the out of bounds object comes in contact with the ball, then the ball should be out of bounds, wierd.

what was the call on that...the ball never went out of bounds, the player was standing OB when he touched the ball while it was still inbounds...i thought that was a penalty, going OB and being the first to touch it...miami should have gotten it on the 3, not the 40...

73116[/snapback]

73116[/snapback]

The same thing happened in the Ravens/Redskin game last week. Odd rule, but apparently correct.

Someone did this in a Monday night game a couple weeks ago. It was beautiful. Ball was not going out of bounds but the Kick returner picked it up on the 10 with one of his other legs stretched touching out of bounds. Bingo, ball on the 40. It's a great play when the kick returner knows the rule and it all comes together.

The rule SHOULD be that a player who goes out of bounds cannot be the first player to touch the ball, like on EVERY OTHER PLAY in the game.  I assume that the rule is different on ST's, but why, I do not know.

73210[/snapback]

I don't think it has anything to do with special teams vs regular play. The "can't be first to touch the ball" is when the player goes out of bopunds and then comes back in. If you're out of bounds, you can touch the ball if you want.

CW