NFl contracts

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. I HATE when I hear this argument. Some of you people JUST DONT GET IT.

To have a contract, BOTH sides agree. Part of NFL contracts is a clause that states that the MANAGEMENT can TERMINATE the agreement at any time and NOT pay the player anymore. (See Shawn Alexander). This means that contracts are NOT guaranteed.

Because of this, the union has added a clause into the contract which states that the PLAYER can REFUSE TO PLAY and DEMAND renegotiation at any time should he feel he is not being properly accommodated financially.

Its a two-way street. Neither side HAS to live up to their contractual obligations because the contract itself gives them the right not to.

I should also mention you do NOT see this in baseball. Why? Because contracts ARE guaranteed. We can have this conversation on which method is better all day long...but I would assume most of us on this board are happy we are not still paying Drew Bledsoe and Mike Williams...

(note, read up on Mo Vaughn's contract with the Mets if you want to see how bad guaranteed contracts could be for a franchise..ESPECIALLY Buffalo)

I used to think it was a player just being a jerk and then a few years ago someone pointed that out to me and my opinion changed. It's only in some cases though. I think Ocho Dinko is out of line. He just recently signed a new contract.

My whole point about this argument was i would like to see one owner take a stand when i guy holds out over his contract and says " fine, sit, i don't care, and see how many other players hold out for new contracts at that point in time? I think you would see a drop in it because in the end the player loses a year which hurts him because the lifetime of playing NFL football is not long, and the player doesn't make money.... It would teach the players to think twice before holding out

See how FA's he's able to sign.

Non guaranteed contracts. Every other major US league has guaranteed contracts. That's why.

Exactly.

Everyday people. You could be right, you could be wrong. And so on and so on.

Old people listen to young people. We are not cool, but we don't abandon...always ask, seek.

Depending on who I'm talking to, I could be considered old or young. I have the best of both worlds. Yipee.

Ugh. I HATE when I hear this argument. Some of you people JUST DONT GET IT.

To have a contract, BOTH sides agree. Part of NFL contracts is a clause that states that the MANAGEMENT can TERMINATE the agreement at any time and NOT pay the player anymore. (See Shawn Alexander). This means that contracts are NOT guaranteed.

Because of this, the union has added a clause into the contract which states that the PLAYER can REFUSE TO PLAY and DEMAND renegotiation at any time should he feel he is not being properly accommodated financially.

Its a two-way street. Neither side HAS to live up to their contractual obligations because the contract itself gives them the right not to.

I should also mention you do NOT see this in baseball. Why? Because contracts ARE guaranteed. We can have this conversation on which method is better all day long...but I would assume most of us on this board are happy we are not still paying Drew Bledsoe and Mike Williams...

(note, read up on Mo Vaughn's contract with the Mets if you want to see how bad guaranteed contracts could be for a franchise..ESPECIALLY Buffalo)

So just exactly how do you run a franchise with a salary cap in place when you have to renegotiate contracts annually.

What happens when and if we go 10 and 6? now we have 5-6 players who are locker room cancers.

I would not renegotiate any contracts with less than two years to go.

One exception i would make is that to add a provision that if Peters makes the Pro Bowl again he gets a bonus. If he makes it again he gets another bonus. Those escalators may already be in his deal.