Demetrius Bell as Tight End

beausox

Well, I like him better used sparingly as a situational offensive threat than as a pass rusher, but- since you asked- apparently he started his college football career as a defensive end and had 11 tackles in his first season - all in a single game!

Link

You gatta be kidding. I gotta see this.

:thumbsup: Nope you ain't kidding B-):worthy::lol:

Well, I like him better used sparingly as a situational offensive threat than as a pass rusher, but- since you asked- apparently he started his college football career as a defensive end and had 11 tackles in his first season - all in a single game!

Link

All the talk of this Bell kid is unreal. He's in the first round of cuts guys, c'mon now. From this trail of posts, this guy has the flexibility and talent to rush the passer, take over right tackle (a la Peters at left tackle), block punts, and catch TD's as a pass-catching tight end...are we being serious here, or is this all sarcastic?

The poor kid didn't have the Mailman around to be a father, and he's limited in comparison to NFL talent...he wasn't a project pick, he was a shot in the dark...if he doesn't come in and light it up from the get-go, he's a goner; and fast.

All the talk of this Bell kid is unreal. He's in the first round of cuts guys, c'mon now. From this trail of posts, this guy has the flexibility and talent to rush the passer, take over right tackle (a la Peters at left tackle), block punts, and catch TD's as a pass-catching tight end...are we being serious here, or is this all sarcastic?

The poor kid didn't have the Mailman around to be a father, and he's limited in comparison to NFL talent...he wasn't a project pick, he was a shot in the dark...if he doesn't come in and light it up from the get-go, he's a goner; and fast.

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. So why did the Bills choose to draft him ahead of UDFA Mike Viti - whom most here presume to be a 'stud' and give a good shot to start at FB? Is Viti also destined for the first round of cuts?

A 6'5" lineman with a great vertical leap who attended college on a hoops scholarship? Yeah, I think he might be able to block a punt - maybe even leap in the air and catch a football with one hand from time to time if called on. In fact, those may very well be reasons why the Bills drafted him. The Bills are known to look for guys who can fill special teams needs in those late rounds.

No one's saying Bell's going to start at any position or do any or all of this stuff right away, and no one's voting him into the Pro Bowl, ferchrissakes. We all know he's a rookie, a project, and a very raw one at that. So what if he ends up on the practice squad? I think all we're doing is speculating on the kid's potential.

Then again, he just might 'light it up from the get-go', make the squad, and surprise the heck outa everyone...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. So why did the Bills choose to draft him ahead of UDFA Mike Viti - whom most here presume to be a 'stud' and give a good shot to start at FB? Is Viti also destined for the first round of cuts?

A 6'5" lineman with a great vertical leap who attended college on a hoops scholarship? Yeah, I think he might be able to block a punt - maybe even leap in the air and catch a football with one hand from time to time if called on. In fact, those may very well be reasons why the Bills drafted him. The Bills are known to look for guys who can fill special teams needs in those late rounds.

No one's saying Bell's going to start at any position or do any or all of this stuff right away, and no one's voting him into the Pro Bowl, ferchrissakes. We all know he's a rookie, a project, and a very raw one at that. So what if he ends up on the practice squad? I think all we're doing is speculating on the kid's potential.

Then again, he just might 'light it up from the get-go', make the squad, and surprise the heck outa everyone...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Hey, great post, and I apologize for my skepiticism, but let's be honest, Modrak hasn't exactly lit it up in the late rounds the last few years. I am just skeptical of a kid we've never heard of, from a school we've barely heard, that we pick up in the 7th round while looking at him as a potential position change/project. I hope he comes in and gives us "McKellar/Rolle" like play, I really do.

But like any business, being good, or great at something is all about specializing. We can't ask young rookies to do a lot of things at a high level, we need to concentrate on certain aspects of their game that will help us win in specialization rolls and ask them to do the little things great...if he blocks good, teach him to block great...if he catches passes good, teach him to catch passes great...etc. Specialize. We can't spread him thin and hope a 7th round unknown is gonna win even one game for us this upcoming year.

Here's to hoping he makes the squad, but he certainly isn't Steve Tasker multi-purposeful.

In all likelyhood you are right. ...but this is May, a wistful month in footballdom. I disagree with you that he is in first round of cuts. His athleticism is too intriguing. Will he be a tight end? Who knows but his background, pedigree and raw ability screams project which requires patience. He would not be the first kid who woke and realized that playing for pay demanded he change his wasteful ways