Good Intentions...

Gee what a shock.

You'll notice that the problem wasn't caused by the 'good intentions' of trying to get money to kids for school. It was caused by ignorant Democrats pushing their anti-business agenda for no particular reason.

Let's hear the lame defense from the usual suspects.

Gee what a shock.

You'll notice that the problem wasn't caused by the 'good intentions' of trying to get money to kids for school. It was caused by ignorant Democrats pushing their anti-business agenda for no particular reason.

Let's hear the lame defense from the usual suspects.

To be fair, they were trying to make it more affordable (ie lower borrowing costs) for people to go to college. I don't (and didn't) view that as an 'anti-business agenda', but I do agree with you that it was extremely ignorant. Unintended consequences and all that...

subsidies stamp out innovation and competition, and drive prices up. with higher education you also get a nice diluted lower standard!!

all you have to do is see how hard it is to gain employment, get ahead, or buy stuff in europe. very expensive with low wages and tons of unemployment and poverty.

• 2 weeks later...

What this could do is widen our existing caste system. Many kids score well enough to be admitted to Ivies, etc., but would be unable to attend without student loans.

If the sources to borrow dry up, these spots will only be open to the children of multi-millionaires, and of course a very small handful of AA acceptances, who btw may or may not be poor, or even working class.

Students from working class backgrounds would be mostly relegated to state schools, which happen to be getting harder each year to get into. Admission will be more more costly too, as soon as our loyal elected officials grant free tuition to the children of illegal aliens.

I would love to sit here and blame the dummycrats. A few years ago I would have done just that, but pray tell it was Schmuckbee who proposed free tuition to illegals, and McCain who authored the Amnesty Bill.

The moral of the story is that working class Americans and their families don't have a whole lot of friends. :P

If the sources to borrow dry up, these spots will only be open to the children of multi-millionaires, and

Exactly. Which is why crooked career politicians who couldn't run a lemonade stand really shouldn't be dictating banking terms to the marketplace based on nothing but their own ignorance and loathing of people who make money by means other than extorting it from taxpayers.

Why did they mess up with a private sector system they have no real clue about? If they wanted to help low income kids to go to college why didn't they use the same amount of money that mess was supposed to cost and give it directly to the kids through scholarships?!!

What this could do is widen our existing caste system. Many kids score well enough to be admitted to Ivies, etc., but would be unable to attend without student loans.

If the sources to borrow dry up, these spots will only be open to the children of multi-millionaires, and of course a very small handful of AA acceptances, who btw may or may not be poor, or even working class.

Students from working class backgrounds would be mostly relegated to state schools, which happen to be getting harder each year to get into. Admission will be more more costly too, as soon as our loyal elected officials grant free tuition to the children of illegal aliens.

I would love to sit here and blame the dummycrats. A few years ago I would have done just that, but pray tell it was Schmuckbee who proposed free tuition to illegals, and McCain who authored the Amnesty Bill.

The moral of the story is that working class Americans and their families don't have a whole lot of friends. :P

if the problem is money the solution isn't necessarily education bill. while it is true (and i've banged that drum) that university educations are largely required for decent paying jobs in this country, student loans subsidizing more and more graduates just extend that problem.

there are too many good places to live and get ahead in america for there to be a caste system in place. americans might have to move to get ahead, but that's a small price to pay if you really want it.

lol, Bill found a way to tie this back to immigration.

i missed that!

he didn't mention that not spending every draft pick on a lineman or having more than 1 corner on your team was idiotic, so didn't check for anything else!!

lol, Bill found a way to tie this back to immigration.

When you have spent approx. 100,000 dollars (and still spending) on college costs for your children (only 2 K per year is deductible), you might not like to see your elected officials draw up, and implement plans to educate those who don't belong here with YOUR money.

Then again, you might enjoy this; I don't know.

When you have spent approx. 100,000 dollars (and still spending) on college costs for your children (only 2 K per year is deductible), you might not like to see your elected officials draw up, and implement plans to educate those who don't belong here with YOUR money.

they are fine being here. it's the paying for stuff that's bad!

As if the system being broke is mostly due to that.

It isn't mostly due to that, but is the symbolism lost upon a smart guy like you? Tell me that you do not see the inequity. :P

Look at my post again. It is really more about how pols from both parties continue to screw the working class. The tuition thing is salt in the wound.

It isn't mostly due to that, but is the symbolism lost upon a smart guy like you? Tell me that you do not see the inequity. :P

Look at my post again. It is really more about how pols from both parties continue to screw the working class. The tuition thing is salt in the wound.

I understand your overall point, but I did think it was amusing that you seemingly managed to blame illegal immigration for increasing tuition costs.

Here in Texas, we have had one of the largest (if not the largest) tuition increases in the country recently. My tuition shot wayyy up from when I was a freshman to when I graduated in December.

Here, the Texas legislature first decided to slash the amount of funds they were giving to the institutions, including UT, and then set the tuition rates higher. Then, they decided to slash the funds even more, but also to deregulate tuition, allowing the UT board of regents to set tuition prices. As a result, all of the costs that were previously going to tax payers were now going directly to the students.

This could be a good thing (making the people who actually use the service pay for it rather than all tax payers in the state pay for it), but taxation levels within the state didn't go down - they just put that money to other uses.

Dude, spending money to try to educate some illegal Canadian moron is such an unbelievable waste of money that even one penny is an insult. I know the news probably hasn't hit Snarkas or Farkas or whatever yet because they are a little behind, but Canadians are dumb.

I understand your overall point, but I did think it was amusing that you seemingly managed to blame illegal immigration for increasing tuition costs.

And you love to break my shoes, and do it quite well I might add. :P:blink:

UT is a great school. NY, unlike Texas, NC, Va, Ma, Cal, and a host of other states, doesn't really have a "signature" state school. SUNY is not the worst system; it is pretty good in many ways. I have a daughter at Stony Brook (soph.) and I am happy with how things are going, as well as the cost. The thing is, if you have a child who can get into a top 10, or even a top 50, there is no state school in NY that fits the mold. You are gonna pay!!! Binghamton is close, but from what I gather they are focused primarily on math and science.

At UT however, the odds of a child of an illegal taking your spot are slim. Well, at least for now. By the time you have kids, you will be complaining on a new age message board, and young guys will be breaking your shoes. :nana:

Study hard and be well Young Man! :):devil: