Trenches most Important?

Dibs

Many feel(myself included) that the best way to build a team(apart from obtaining a top QB) is to build the offensive & defensive lines. To put a large amount if not a majority of resources into them. When looking at the last 3 off-seasons, 2 seasons & 2 drafts it is clear that the Levy era(including since he left) is of similar views.

Re-signings(not including minor backups or 'stopgap' players)

DE Schobel......Long term & good money.....multi-probowler

DE Kelsay......Long term & good money.....assumed to be worth the money at the time.

OT Peters......Long term & decent money.....Probowl LT

PR/WR Parrish......Long term & decent money.....Probowl PR, good #3 WR

P Moorman......Long term & good money.....Probowl Punter

K Lindell......Long term & decent money.....good K

FA acquisitions(not including minor backups or 'stopgap' players)(including trades)

OG Dockery......Long term & good money.....good LG

OT Walker......Long term & good money.....good RT

DT Stroud......3 years & good money.....multi-probowl DT

LB Mitchell......Long term & decent money.....good LB

DT Johnson......Long term & decent money.....good depth/backup DT(same money given as starting LB Mitchell)

Draft(1st rounders)

S Whitner(8)......position of high need & importance to team.....immediate solid starter

DT McCargo(26)

RB Lynch(12)......position of high need & importance to team.....immediate solid starter

Looking at where the front office is choosing to spend the money it is apparent that they place a very high importance on the lines as well as special teams.

Apart from the 3 special teams players(2 probowlers) there has been only one player where significant money has been invested who is not a lineman......and even then it is only $3.5mil/year.

I fully expect Evans & Crowell to be re-signed this season for good money but this is only after 7 of 8 big contracts have been allocated to the trenches......with a 1st rounder on top.

I personally have no worries about what views management has on the importance of the lines......virtually every major move they have made to date has been spent on either the Lines or Special Teams. This I like. :wallbash:

Edited by Dibs

Many feel(myself included) that the best way to build a team(apart from obtaining a top QB) is to build the offensive & defensive lines. To put a large amount if not a majority of resources into them. When looking at the last 3 off-seasons, 2 seasons & 2 drafts it is clear that the Levy era(including since he left) is of similar views.

Re-signings(not including minor backups or 'stopgap' players)

DE Schobel......Long term & good money.....multi-probowler

DE Kelsay......Long term & good money.....assumed to be worth the money at the time.

KR/CB McGee......Long term & decent money.....Probowl KR, decent/good CB

OT Peters......Long term & decent money.....Probowl LT

PR/WR Parrish......Long term & decent money.....Probowl PR, good #3 WR

P Moorman......Long term & good money.....Probowl Punter

K Lindell......Long term & decent money.....good K

FA acquisitions(not including minor backups or 'stopgap' players)(including trades)

OG Dockery......Long term & good money.....good LG

OT Walker......Long term & good money.....good RT

DT Stroud......3 years & good money.....multi-probowl DT

LB Mitchell......Long term & decent money.....good LB

DT Johnson......Long term & decent money.....good depth/backup DT(same money given as starting LB Mitchell)

Draft(1st rounders)

S Whitner(8)......position of high need & importance to team.....immediate solid starter

DT McCargo(26)

RB Lynch(12)......position of high need & importance to team.....immediate solid starter

Looking at where the front office is choosing to spend the money it is apparent that they place a very high importance on the lines as well as special teams.

Apart from the 4 special teams players(3 probowlers) there has been only one player where significant money has been invested who is not a lineman......and even then it is only $3.5mil/year.

I fully expect Evans & Crowell to be re-signed this season for good money but this is only after 7 of 8 big contracts have been allocated to the trenches......with a 1st rounder on top.

I personally have no worries about what views management has on the importance of the lines......virtually every major move they have made to date has been spent on either the Lines or Special Teams. This I like. :wallbash:

Are you sure McGee has been extended I don't remember hearing about that.

Are you sure McGee has been extended I don't remember hearing about that.

My mistake.....McGee was re-signed under the TD era.....editing main post to reflect this. :wallbash:

Not a surprise considering the history between Levy and Polian who, on several occassions said the same thing about building teams. Polian even gave the order of preference; QB, DE, OLT, RB, WR. When you gather all those elements at the same time, you are on your way. But that's the hard part. It's HARD for teams to have all that at the same time let alone keep it together nowadays.

GO BILLS!!!