The Perceived WR Need

marck

I have read many posts on the Bills needs in this draft for a receiver and while I do agree that the need is their, I disagree on what type of receiver is needed. The 1st priority is to sign Lee Evans to a new long term contract. This will mean that once completed, we will need a quality #2 and one with the ability to be a possession receiver and an end zone mismatch for shorter corners.

Assuming that is the need, then why pursue receivers like Sweed or Devin Thomas with our 1st round pick as they both are potential #1 WR's and would be a waste of talent where you could easily select a Jordy Nelson in round 2 who really would be a great complimentary receiver for the Bills. He has size, good but not great speed (4.51), can jump and has that magical quality of being open seemingly "all the time". Plus he has production history in college and is said to be of very high character. This to me is a quality pick in round 2 at the 41st pick.

We can now focus on Round 1, at pick 11 we will have many options. I think any one of four players of interest and need will be available, they are:

Dominique Rogers Cromartie

Derrick Harvey

Brandon Albert

Keith Rivers

I assume 3 of the 4 will be gone as Cromartie could be selected by the Patriots, Ravens or Saints, Harvey could be selected by New England or New Orleans, Albert could go as high as 5 to Kansas City and Rivers has been mentioned as a potential landing spot for New England, Cincinnati or New Orleans.

We know that Jake Long, Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gohlstein, Sedrick Ellis, Darrin McFaddin and Matt Ryan are going to be gone within the 10 1st picks. Leodis McKelvin should be gone by the 10th pick, leaving the four players I listed with one or maybe two still available when we pick at 11.

If this scenario plays out, which way would you go. Take the player, trade down and with whom and which position would you select if WR and TE are addressed in rounds 2 and 3.

Look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

I agree with your first paragraph 100%. That is our need to a "T".

I too also like Jordy Nelson, he's the next great "white-out", lol.

Right now I imagine the Bills are seeing that not only would WR be a reach at 11, but they could easily get a WR in round two who's just as good. There is no clear cut favourite this year. I think the Bills will see what is avaiable at 11 when it's their turn to pick, but ultimately I think they go CB, McKelvin maybe. And then they watch closely as to how the rest of the draft unfolds and decide whether a WR they like will be there at 41, or if they need to package a few picks to move up a little to get him.

I think the Bills still like Kelly, but only in round two. They also probably like Nelson. But I secretly believe the Bills like James Hardy, and that he'll be their pick.

Hardy is the sleeper/shocker pick.