Judging WR talent

When I watch the Youtube footage of the top receivers I see them like this:

Limas Sweed - Great hands, and body control. Perfect endzone target, and chain mover. Looks kinda slow, but fights for the ball and goes up to get it at the highest point. Doesn't do much after the catch.

Devin Thomas - He looks like Andre Reed out there. Great after the catch, and makes things happen. I think he will be a star.

Malcolm Kelly - Made lots of plays, and some great catches and nice runs after the catch, but he lets the ball hit his body too much (almost every catch).

That's a very bad habit.

Hardy and the other guys don't seem as "specialized" as far as great runs or going after the ball, etc.

I can easily see Thomas becoming the best receiver of the bunch, but I think that Sweed is the guy whose skills match what the Bills need most. I have also heard great things about his work ethic and general personality (I ain't gonna use the "C" word).

Limas Sweed - Great hands, and body control. Perfect endzone target, and chain mover. Looks kinda slow, but fights for the ball and goes up to get it at the highest point. Doesn't do much after the catch.

Devin Thomas - He looks like Andre Reed out there. Great after the catch, and makes things happen. I think he will be a star.

Malcolm Kelly - Made lots of plays, and some great catches and nice runs after the catch, but he lets the ball hit his body too much (almost every catch).

That's a very bad habit.

Hardy and the other guys don't seem as "specialized" as far as great runs or going after the ball, etc.

I can easily see Thomas becoming the best receiver of the bunch, but I think that Sweed is the guy whose skills match what the Bills need most. I have also heard great things about his work ethic and general personality (I ain't gonna use the "C" word).

Welcome to the board! Great first post. Look at more footage of Hardy! He is everything physically, he has charactor concerns. As far as specialized goes it doesn't get any more special than him...

Welcome to the board! Great first post. Look at more footage of Hardy! He is everything physically, he has charactor concerns. As far as specialized goes it doesn't get any more special than him...

Yeah he looked real good too, but Sweed definitely looked the best at going up for the ball.

I'm not a big one for the "character" thing, and I don't know the whole story, but beating up on the mother of your child is pretty bad.

Sweed looks like he may adapt quickest to the NFL of the 4 guys mentioned, but he probably will always be a #2 kind of guy. I see Sweed, I think Quinn Early...I see Kelly, I think TO. I see Thomas......I don't know what to feel. Will he fit into a pseudo hurry up or west coast offense? I know Evans and Reed should work well in it, and there is a shot to bring in Carlson who would adapt easily......Thomas seems to have a little more "project" to him.

Sweed looks like he may adapt quickest to the NFL of the 4 guys mentioned, but he probably will always be a #2 kind of guy. I see Sweed, I think Quinn Early...I see Kelly, I think TO. I see Thomas......I don't know what to feel. Will he fit into a pseudo hurry up or west coast offense? I know Evans and Reed should work well in it, and there is a shot to bring in Carlson who would adapt easily......Thomas seems to have a little more "project" to him.

I agree. I don't remember that much about Q Early (was he tall?), except that he was above average.

I think Thomas will be great but like you mention could be a project.

I think Sweed is "specialized", but that skill would really help the current team. If we got him in the 2nd, or traded up, I would be pretty happy. Not sure he is worth a #11, but he has the kind of skill that could be immediately effective. Namely, going up for the ball.

I agree. I don't remember that much about Q Early (was he tall?), except that he was above average.

I think Thomas will be great but like you mention could be a project.

I think Sweed is "specialized", but that skill would really help the current team. If we got him in the 2nd, or traded up, I would be pretty happy. Not sure he is worth a #11, but he has the kind of skill that could be immediately effective. Namely, going up for the ball.

Not so much that Early was tall, but he was just a smart guy who could get position on you, but he never really turned into a go-to guy. He was nice to have around....but wasn't super flashy.

That's a very bad habit.

Good idea, women hate that word!! You're better off NEVER using that.

Not so much that Early was tall, but he was just a smart guy who could get position on you, but he never really turned into a go-to guy. He was nice to have around....but wasn't super flashy.

Quinn Early

Height: 6-0 Weight: 190 Age: 43

Born: 4/13/1965 West Hempstead , NY

College: Iowa

Experience: 12 Seasons

After reading that article that makes me want them to take Jordy Nelson in the second round even more.

Jordy Nelson (WR)

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 217

College: Kansas State

Conference: Big 12

Hometown: Riley, KS

High School: Riley County

Featured Prospects

Overview

From a former walk-on struggling to get on the field at strong safety to one of the premier receivers in the collegiate ranks, Nelson has come a long way since his days at Riley County High School. His banner senior campaign saw him shatter school and Big 12 Conference reception records, as he was weekly highlight film who caught at least 10 passes in six contests during 2007.

For his stellar performances, Nelson became just the ninth player in school history to be named a consensus All-American in his final year, becoming the first KSU player to accomplish that feat since Terence Newman in 2002. He will leave Kansas State holding 11 different receiving records.

Nelson lettered three times as a quarterback and defensive back at Riley County High School. He was named first-team Class 3A All-State at quarterback by the Topeka Capital-Journal and was a second-team All-State selection for all divisions at quarterback and defensive back. He was chosen Flint Hills Player of the Year by the Manhattan Mercury and was a two-time All-Mid-East League first-team pick. He also played in the 2003 Kansas Shrine Bowl.

As a senior, Nelson connected on 62 percent of his passes for 1,029 yards and eight touchdowns. He rushed for 1,572 yards (9.8 avg) and scored 25 times on the ground that year. In his junior campaign, he passed for 1,045 yards and rushed for 730 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Nelson also lettered and started in basketball and track. He averaged 17.2 points on 58 percent shooting as a senior and set school career records for blocks (161), steals (225) and assists (325). He was named first-team All-State and the Manhattan Mercury's Flint Hills Player of the Year. He won the Class 3A track titles in the 100, 200 and 400 meters and long jump at the 2003 state meet, and set division records in the 100 meters (10.63) and 200 meters (21.64).

Despite his impressive prep career, Nelson walked on at Kansas State in 2003. He competed on the scout team at strong safety over the next two years, but never got on the playing field. With the KSU receiving unit depleted by graduation, Nelson asked to move to that unit in 2005.

He was a second-team All-Big 12 Conference choice that year, leading the team with 45 receptions for 669 yards (14.9 avg.) and eight touchdowns, adding another score by recovering a blocked punt in the end zone for a score vs. Texas A&M. During the season, he became the first player in school history to catch at least one touchdown in each of his first seven games.

A nagging left knee posterior cruciate ligament forced Nelson to miss quite a bit of early season practice time in 2006. He started nine of 13 games, managing to lead the squad with 39 catches for 547 yards (14.0 avg.), but just one touchdown. He also got to see some time at quarterback, completing one of two passes for 28 yards.

The consensus All-American shattered school and Big 12 Conference season records in 2007, hauling in 122 passes for 1,606 yards (13.2 avg.) and 11 touchdowns. He scored twice on five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 avg.) and registered a school record 140 points. He hit on 2-of-4 passes for 45 yards and a pair of touchdowns, finishing with 1,863 all-purpose yards, an average of 155.25 per game.

In 36 games at Kansas State, Nelson started 32 contests. He ranks second in school history with 206 receptions for 2,822 yards (13.7 avg.) and is third in KSU annals with 20 touchdown grabs. He returned six punts for 267 yards (44.5 avg.) and three scores, as he also completed 3-of-6 passes for 73 yards and two touchdowns, adding seven tackles (6 solos) on special teams. He finished with 3,080 all-purpose yards, an average off 85.56 per game.

Career Notes

Nelson ranks second in school history with 206 receptions, topped only by Kevin Lockett (217, 1993-96)...His 206 catches are good for ninth on the Big 12 Conference career record chart...His 2,822 yards receiving are surpassed only by Lockett's 3,032 on KSU's career record list and rank eighth in conference annals...Ranks third in Wildcats history with 20 touchdown catches, topped by Lockett (26) and Quincy Morgan (23, 1999-2000)...Nelson's 122 receptions in 2007 shattered the old school season record of 75 by Darnell McDonald in 1998 and the previous Big 12 mark of 107 grabs by Rashaun Woods of Oklahoma State in 2002...Gained 1,606 yards receiving in 2007, breaking the old school annual record of 1,232 yards by James Terry in 2003...His 1,606 yards rank second in Big 12 history behind Woods' 1,695 yards in 2002... His 11 touchdown catches in 2007 rank fourth on the KSU season record list, topped by Morgan (14 in 2000), Terry (13 in 2003) and Lockett (13 in 1995)...His 140 points scored in 2007 broke the previous school season record of 135 by Martin Gramatica in 1998...His 15 receptions vs. Missouri State, 14 catches vs. Iowa State and 15 grabs vs. Fresno State, all in 2007, topped the school's previous game record of 13 catches by Michael Smith vs. Missouri in 1989...Gained 209 yards receiving vs. Missouri State and 214 yards vs. Iowa State in 2007, breaking the previous KSU game record of 206 yards by McDonald vs. Syracuse in 1997...His three touchdown receptions in the 2007 Oklahoma State clash tied the school game record that he shares with Terry (vs. Baylor, 11/1/2003), Morgan (vs. Ball State, 9/16/2000), McDonald (vs. Syracuse, 12/31/97), Jimmy Dean (vs. Rice, 9/21/96), Smith (vs. Iowa State, 11/9/91) and John Williams (vs. Austin Peay, 9/5/87)...His 92-yard punt return vs. Baylor in 2007 was the fourth-longest punt return in school history, topped by Lamar Chapman (94 vs. Ohio University, 1997), Joe Searles (93 vs. Kentucky, 1961) and David Allen (93 vs. Texas, 1998).