FYI: Rule changes under consideration

I would like to see divisional records determine divisional champions instead of overall record. As it stands now, you can get swept in your division and still finish 10-6. If division record determined this, rivalries would make a big comeback, as they barely exist now.

I am sorry, I am being stupid. I still don't understand. If for example, the Bills win the toss and choose a side to defend, do they not now currently get the ball first in the second half?

Correct. You take the wind (by choosing an end), the other team gets the kick/receive choice (and you know which one they're taking).

Here's the rule:

1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The tos will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick

(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

I think allowing defenders to push receivers out as they make the catch will allow more exciting sideline collisions, letting Donte bring it more like Ronnie Lott use to. I also think this could help defenses trying to thwart a two-minute drill, as taking away the sidelines may be a bit easier with this rule.