Denver Broncos running out of $$$?

Lori

Budget cuts lead to loss of jobs

By Mike Klis

The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 03/20/2008 02:21:49 AM MDT

Let there be no doubt money is tight at Dove Valley.

The latest hint occurred Wednesday, when budget cuts led the Broncos to dismiss eight employees not directly involved in football operations, including Paul Kirk, the Broncos' director of media relations and Andrew Mason, managing editor of DenverBroncos.com.

That would be the equivalent of Ralph firing Chris Jenkins (Scott Berchtold's second-in-command, who holds the same title here) and Chris Brown.

From what I saw, Mason did a great job with their website. When most other teams are ADDING in-house content, this move strikes me as very peculiar. They're claiming financial problems as the cause. We'll see. Was someone perhaps not fully onboard with some of the moves Mike Shanahan has made lately?

That would be the equivalent of Ralph firing Chris Jenkins (Scott Berchtold's second-in-command, who holds the same title here) and Chris Brown.

From what I saw, Mason did a great job with their website. When most other teams are ADDING in-house content, this move strikes me as very peculiar. They're claiming financial problems as the cause. We'll see. Was someone perhaps not fully onboard with some of the moves Mike Shanahan has made lately?

I think you hit the nail on the head. There is no salary cap for personal other than players, & I don't think Bowlen is going broke.

Shanahan = Putin

Just kidding, the dude is actually my favorite head coach and the recent events have me wondering what is going on up there. From what I remember he has some kind of deal in place with Bowlen that is some kind of unofficial lifetime contract (could I be any more vague here). Letting Bates go was a mistake IMO, and a monkey could perform the job as Offensive Head Coach under Shanahan... Griese didn't pan out. Plummer didn't pan out. If Cutler doesn't pan out (I highly doubt that he won't) I just think that unofficial lifetime contract might get voided somewhere on the near horizon.

Shanahan has gone from one of the best offensive minds to one of the most predictable...just look at the offensive plays they run now, most of their offensive sets are run out of a 2 WR to one side, TE on the other and two backs in the backfield and the plays are either runs or bootlegs..what happened to all the formations he used to run and the wide open passing game? This isnt new or because of Cutler either, he seems to get less aggressive every year

I just dont understand what happened to him, he was one of the more aggressive play callers in the NFL with multiple formations and receivers but now is a conservative and predictable play caller that has probably run his course in Denver

an NFL team using money as an excuse for cutting employees is a complete joke....I thought Shanahan should have been fired two years ago

Shanahan has gone from one of the best offensive minds to one of the most predictable...just look at the offensive plays they run now, most of their offensive sets are run out of a 2 WR to one side, TE on the other and two backs in the backfield and the plays are either runs or bootlegs..what happened to all the formations he used to run and the wide open passing game? This isnt new or because of Cutler either, he seems to get less aggressive every year

I just dont understand what happened to him, he was one of the more aggressive play callers in the NFL with multiple formations and receivers but now is a conservative and predictable play caller that has probably run his course in Denver

an NFL team using money as an excuse for cutting employees is a complete joke....I thought Shanahan should have been fired two years ago

Gary Kubiak left

The emperor has no clothes!

Shanahan is too full of himself, and his ego gets in the way of his coaching abilities. He's been drinking his own kool-aid that any player can play is his system because its the system thats so great.

Shanahan is too full of himself, and his ego gets in the way of his coaching abilities. He's been drinking his own kool-aid that any player can play is his system because its the system thats so great.

The same can be said for some of your posts...

I'm absolutely loving this out here in CO. I would love nothing better than a nice "bills-like" playoff drought for the Broncos. Jealousy? Sure, but I wear it well out here with all the front-running Denver fans, jumping on and off the bandwagon like our resident Red Sox "fan."

This will keep me grinning at least through the weekend. :)