Moving to Kentucky.......

Buffan00

Richmond, KY...anybody know anything of the area..we were there for a quick weekend and its clean and quit and the people were nice..other than that I know very little besides what the web provides. Its 25 miles S. of Lexington. :thumbsup:

Richmond, KY...anybody know anything of the area..we were there for a quick weekend and its clean and quit and the people were nice..other than that I know very little besides what the web provides. Its 25 miles S. of Lexington. :P

I worked in Ashland Kentucky-east Kentucky for about a year in 03-04.

First day there, I went into a restaurant and ordered a burger and beer- the lady's jaw dropped. We don't serve alcohol here!

You have to go across the state border to either Ohio, or West Virginia. Then my jaw dropped. I just signed a lease in a dry county!!

Thank god Marshall University was within 20 miles, cool town. :thumbsup:

Richmond, KY...anybody know anything of the area..we were there for a quick weekend and its clean and quit and the people were nice..other than that I know very little besides what the web provides. Its 25 miles S. of Lexington. :P

KY is a beautiful State. I've no link, but I recall that KY citizens year after year being the most pleased with their State.

The geology, flora and fauna is stunning. IIRC, Eastern KY is the only ancient, historic savanna on the continent.

Here is KET's site. I get their Northern KY affiliate on my tv, and I enjoy their broadcasts.

http://www.ket.org/

KY is a beautiful State. I've no link, but I recall that KY citizens year after year being the most pleased with their State.

The geology, flora and fauna is stunning. IIRC, Eastern KY is the only ancient, historic savanna on the continent.

Here is KET's site. I get their Northern KY affiliate on my tv, and I enjoy their broadcasts.

cool..thanks

Maybe "still existing?"

What about the oak savanna here in this part of the midwest?

You did say "ancient" though... I am not sure what that means... Can't be anymore ancient than year, if you count after the very last ice age...??

I think there are others in Oregon and Texas too??

:)

Great Lakes Oak (MidWest) Savanna

Wiki Oak

Before European settlement, the oak savanna ecosystem was sustained by a fire cycle. Fires, set by lightning or Native Americans, ensured that the savanna areas did not turn into forests. Only trees with a high tolerance for fire, principaly certain oak species, were able to survive. On sandy soils, black oak (Quercus velutina) predominated. On rich soils bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) was the major tree in central North America. These savanna areas provided habitat for a many grazing animals, including bison, elk and deer.

European settlers cleared much of the savanna for agricultural use. In addition, they suppressed the fire cycle. Thus surviving pockets of savanna typically became less like savannas and more like forests or thickets. Many oak savanna plant and animal species became extinct or rare.

In the 1970s, conservationist began to try to restore and preserve these surviving pockets of savanna.