Tibetan protestors

JoeFerguson

why should the opinion of other westerners affect your opinion on Tibet? Just cause you don't like hippies or whatever, doesn't mean that you should favor repressive dictatorships.

Those excuses are all lame and are the type used by all tyranny to justify seizing land and imposing iron fisted rule on people that don't have the power to resist them. See Germany and the Czechoslovakia.

My opinion is not based on the opinion of others. I'm just trying to collect raw data and process it myself. I wish we could get news without commentary.

My opinion is not based on the opinion of others. I'm just trying to collect raw data and process it myself. I wish we could get news without commentary.

:pirate: You wish you could know events first hand? Every other method involves commentary and/or interpretation, of some kind. Come to think of it, processing the information yourself involves a fair amount of interpretation and subjectivity.

I will agree with you, if you mean something like this: I would like to hear more information directly from the advocates of positions, and/or those directly involved in a particular conflict (of course from the various positions on those conflicts/events/etc). Then I would be able to feel closer to what they really are say and believe, and not some homogenized version of those beliefs and statements.

That is still available to us, but not through any major news outlet.

Of course, this takes a LOT more time, and brain power, than many (most) in our society (and much of the rest of the world) care to give to most any issue.

I really don't think the situation in Tibet is black and white. Although it seems like the Chinese stance I just relayed sounds very much like propaganda, I do not think the Tibetans are completely innocent in this whole mess. I'm just wondering if anybody ever actually thinks about it, or if they just automatically decide that China=communism=bad, Tibet=religious freedom=good.

How can we really know unless we've been to Tibet?

If the Chinese aren't doing anything wrong, then why not let the international press into Tibet to report the news and talk to the various interests. Why do they restrict the media and internet access of their own citizens. If the Tibet issue isn't resolved peacefully and in the open, I would support a boycott of the Olympics. I think it was a mistake to award it to China in the first place, but money trumps freedom.