if this happens.......

playman

Ellis would be a back up, why would we spend the 11th pick on him? It is extremely unlikely he will be anywhere near McCargo's level this year. Infact, this will be McCargo's break out year (hopefully), as he was an absolute monster at times last year.

I agree Ellis would start the year as a backup. But to say he won't be ANYWHERE near McCargo's level I think is a pretty optimistic view of McCargo's ability. I agree that McCargo will be a much better player next year, but Ellis is a monster. Every level he has played at, he has dominated. Including at the Senior Bowl. I think it would be accurate to predict that Ellis will have a similar rookie year to Amobi Okoye.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Ellis would start the year as a backup. But to say he won't be ANYWHERE near McCargo's level I think is a pretty optimistic view of McCargo's ability. I agree that McCargo will be a much better player next year, but Ellis is a monster. Every level he has played at, he has dominated. Including at the Senior Bowl. I think it would be accurate to predict that Ellis will have a similar rookie year to Amobi Okoye.

Rookie vs DT who showed flashes of greatness.... hmmm i wonder who will be better?

He didn't say that......he said it would be extremely unlikely......which is quite reasonable considering the fact that over half of all top ten picks bust out......and a high percent of the ones that don't, don't shine in their rookie year.

I'm sorry, but I just can't help but notice that this guy knows nothing about football. He's got...

13. Carolina Panthers — RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon (The panthers drafted DeAngelo Williams in the 1st round and like him a lot, I don't think they would take a RB in the 1st round, maybe after for depth).

19. Philadelphia Eagles — DE Phillip Merling, Clemson (This pick makes NO sense, at all. The Eagles love Trent Cole, Abyiamiri or whatever, and Jaqua Thomas. They need a WR bad, LBers bad, and Safeties bad. The DL is their biggest strength).

31. New York Giants — CB Patrick Lee, Auburn (First of all, the Giants have no LBers, and their corners are Aaron Ross, Jason Webster, and Sam Madison. There is no way in hell the Giants are going corner in the 1st freaking round. And, if hell freezes over and they do go corner, it most CERTAINLY would not be Patrick Lee. That guy is rated as a second day pick).

I chose the worst 3, but I don't agree with a lot of the guy's picks.

He didn't say that......he said it would be extremely unlikely......which is quite reasonable considering the fact that over half of all top ten picks bust out......and a high percent of the ones that don't, don't shine in their rookie year.

I don't think Ellis would be sitting behind McCargo all that much or that long. (Just because they'll both be 1st round picks after this upcoming draft does not mean these guys are equal talents who will have equivalent production.)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDr.../mock031508.htm

lets say it turns out this way. i know taking ellis is tempting. on the other hand this would give an excellent opportunity to trade down for multiple picks wich will net us a lot of good players in need positions. maybe thomas-carson-hardy and a pretty good TE. what would you do?

This would be a fantastic scenario, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that Ellis gets past Cinci at 9. I really think Dorsey will go to the Chiefs at 5 and Ellis will go to Cinci at 9. However, if he is there at 11, I think any team, including Buffalo would be crazy not to take this guy. We can get a really solid WR in the Second Round.

I'm sorry, but I just can't help but notice that this guy knows nothing about football. He's got...

19. Philadelphia Eagles — DE Phillip Merling, Clemson (This pick makes NO sense, at all. The Eagles love Trent Cole, Abyiamiri or whatever, and Jaqua Thomas. They need a WR bad, LBers bad, and Safeties bad. The DL is their biggest strength).

You don't know the Eagles either. They almost always spend high picks on linemen. They won't take a LB in the first round, they absolutely refuse to spend money at that position and have gotten burned by some #2s recently. They need an Offensive Tackle really really badly (both starters are 34 and Winston Justice was a turnstile) and I'd be shocked if they don't take one in round one. They'd probably look at DT (yes I know they just spent picks on Bunkley and Patterson)before DE though but they do have another hole at DE since they let go Kearse. There is a big call here to be stronger up the middle.

They are absolutely not taking a WR in round 1 and I can't see them taking a safety that high.

I don't think Ellis would be sitting behind McCargo all that much or that long. (Just because they'll both be 1st round picks after this upcoming draft does not mean these guys are equal talents who will have equivalent production.)

Ellis will be system dependent. If a team wants big huge DTs they won't pick him. I dunno if Cincy will go the small, quick route. Cincy needs a DE pretty bad with Smith gone and Pollack broken. LB is pretty much a mess as well. I wouldn't be surprised to Cincy move out of this spot either to stockpile picks later. For example, if Philly had a hardon for Ellis they could swap ones and package in Lito Sheppard and another lower pick. Cincy's still in the top 20, gets a pro-bowl corner and another player in return.

The problem I see with that mock draft is that there's no way the QB Ryan goes to the Dolphins. Parcells isn't going to pay a guy like that 30+ million guaranteed.

I heard an interesting scenario today---if Miami keeps the #1 pick is Ghoulston actually the safest and best pick for them? Could be.

Ellis would be a back up, why would we spend the 11th pick on him? It is extremely unlikely he will be anywhere near McCargo's level this year. Infact, this will be McCargo's break out year (hopefully), as he was an absolute monster at times last year.

Hey dude remember the last couple years when we couldn't stop the run? I want a wide out at 1 but if Ellis is there I think you got to take him.

13. Carolina Panthers — RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon (The panthers drafted DeAngelo Williams in the 1st round and like him a lot, I don't think they would take a RB in the 1st round, maybe after for depth).

31. New York Giants — CB Patrick Lee, Auburn (First of all, the Giants have no LBers, and their corners are Aaron Ross, Jason Webster, and Sam Madison. There is no way in hell the Giants are going corner in the 1st freaking round. And, if hell freezes over and they do go corner, it most CERTAINLY would not be Patrick Lee. That guy is rated as a second day pick).

I chose the worst 3, but I don't agree with a lot of the guy's picks.

Panthers- The Panthers have been looking for a power back. They're not that in love with DeAngelo Williams, who has been eratic at best, and hasn't been able to beat out Foster. It's a team that hasn't been the same since they lost the running of Stephen Davis. Stewart would give them that option.

Eagles- Trent Cole is a very good/underrated pass rusher. Victor Abiamiri barely played, and thomas isn't that good. It's highly likely they could go defensive end. Like a previous poster said. The eagles highly value linemen, and don't value lbs, enough to spend a high pick on one. Although if Keith Rivers is here it may be a consideration. They are pretty content for the most part with Gocong/Bradley/Gaither. They actually were better off at lb when Spikes was injured. Defensive tackle probably isn't all that likely, with Bunkley and Paterson. They haven't shown a penchant for drafting 1st rd wrs. I believe the last wideout they drafted that high was Freddie Mitchell. One position not to rule out is safety.

Giants- The giants are more then ok at lb. They have one of the best mlb's in the league in Antonio Pierce. They get Kiwanuka back next year, and Gerris Wilkinson played pretty good, enough to warrant a shot at starting next season, at least in limited duty. It's not a "need" position. The two most likely avenues they'll go are secondary or defensive tackle. Barry Coefiled, and Fred Robbins are not cornerstone players, so they may want to continue to bolster depth on the interior of their defense. Like Philly, it's an area the giants value very highly.

Secondary I think they could go cb, and move Aaron Ross to fs. With only James Butler, and the newly signed Sammy "I run like I'm in quicksand" Knight, it's the thinnest position on their defense. The giants aren't that in love with Corey Webster. He's been dogged quite a bit around here, and improved his play tremendously, as the giants pass rush got better and better. Sam Madison is no longer starting material, and it's another area where they just may want to get someone with better hands then Webster, while bolstering their depth.

in his 2nd year, he was such a monster that he couldn't put Triplett on the bench. :thumbsup:

The problem I see with that mock draft is that there's no way the QB Ryan goes to the Dolphins. Parcells isn't going to pay a guy like that 30+ million guaranteed.

I heard an interesting scenario today---if Miami keeps the #1 pick is Ghoulston actually the safest and best pick for them? Could be.

Dolphis will draft the guy that signs with them before the draft for teh best deal

The quickest and easiest way to improve your defense, and give you a chance to win football games, is get better in the trenches. Football starts from the inside out. Not with #2 WR'S. Sorry in the 1st rd if someone like Ellis or Dorsey is available. You take them 10 times out of 10. Especially over the likes of average wide receivers, who are not all that important to improving a football team. At the expense of getting impact defensive linemen.

Now that you have come out on the subject I feel much more confident in McCargo. Thanks Jar Jar.

McCargo is fine

It will be his 3rd year before he improved enough to start.

The problem is expecting any rookie to come in a play like a superstar from day 1.

You don't know the Eagles either. They almost always spend high picks on linemen. They won't take a LB in the first round, they absolutely refuse to spend money at that position and have gotten burned by some #2s recently. They need an Offensive Tackle really really badly (both starters are 34 and Winston Justice was a turnstile) and I'd be shocked if they don't take one in round one. They'd probably look at DT (yes I know they just spent picks on Bunkley and Patterson)before DE though but they do have another hole at DE since they let go Kearse. There is a big call here to be stronger up the middle.

They are absolutely not taking a WR in round 1 and I can't see them taking a safety that high.

Don't tell me what teams I follow and what teams I don't.

Yes, the Eagles almost ALWAYS take a lineman with their first pick. Since 1990, they've had 17 first round picks, and 12 of them have been a lineman on either side of the ball. I am aware of this. I think they need an OT bad as well. I think they might add another DE in this draft, but certainly not in the 1st round, IMO. They have Cole, Abiamiri, Thomas, and keep in mind they still have Darren Howard coming off an injury, they haven't released him (yet).

Don't rule out the WR. They have been unhappy with that position and have tried to get players in there all offseason (Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald).

Panthers- The Panthers have been looking for a power back. They're not that in love with DeAngelo Williams, who has been eratic at best, and hasn't been able to beat out Foster. It's a team that hasn't been the same since they lost the running of Stephen Davis. Stewart would give them that option.

Eagles- Trent Cole is a very good/underrated pass rusher. Victor Abiamiri barely played, and thomas isn't that good. It's highly likely they could go defensive end. Like a previous poster said. The eagles highly value linemen, and don't value lbs, enough to spend a high pick on one. Although if Keith Rivers is here it may be a consideration. They are pretty content for the most part with Gocong/Bradley/Gaither. They actually were better off at lb when Spikes was injured. Defensive tackle probably isn't all that likely, with Bunkley and Paterson. They haven't shown a penchant for drafting 1st rd wrs. I believe the last wideout they drafted that high was Freddie Mitchell. One position not to rule out is safety.

Giants- The giants are more then ok at lb. They have one of the best mlb's in the league in Antonio Pierce. They get Kiwanuka back next year, and Gerris Wilkinson played pretty good, enough to warrant a shot at starting next season, at least in limited duty. It's not a "need" position. The two most likely avenues they'll go are secondary or defensive tackle. Barry Coefiled, and Fred Robbins are not cornerstone players, so they may want to continue to bolster depth on the interior of their defense. Like Philly, it's an area the giants value very highly.

Secondary I think they could go cb, and move Aaron Ross to fs. With only James Butler, and the newly signed Sammy "I run like I'm in quicksand" Knight, it's the thinnest position on their defense. The giants aren't that in love with Corey Webster. He's been dogged quite a bit around here, and improved his play tremendously, as the giants pass rush got better and better. Sam Madison is no longer starting material, and it's another area where they just may want to get someone with better hands then Webster, while bolstering their depth.

I think a compliment to DeAngelo Williams would be a good idea, but to spend a top 15 pick on a guy to share carries? And both guys are 1st round picks? I don't think its necessary. I think they can find a nice power back as a compliment to Williams after round 1.

See my previous post about the Eagles.

Ellis will be system dependent. If a team wants big huge DTs they won't pick him. I dunno if Cincy will go the small, quick route. Cincy needs a DE pretty bad with Smith gone and Pollack broken. LB is pretty much a mess as well. I wouldn't be surprised to Cincy move out of this spot either to stockpile picks later. For example, if Philly had a hardon for Ellis they could swap ones and package in Lito Sheppard and another lower pick. Cincy's still in the top 20, gets a pro-bowl corner and another player in return.

Ellis' stock is falling a bit, I think, because he timed sluggish in the 40 yard dash. (But ask yourself how many times you want your DT to be doing 40 yard sprints in a football game.) He is ~6 feet tall and around 300 lbs., which means he's a pretty big dude; though, he's not the Jolly Green Giant. He's tough, strong, articulate, smart, and driven. He was a dominant playmaker at USC and wreaks havoc regularly.

If Cincy doesn't want him, I'm sure some other team will. :thumbsup:

Note also that Dorsey's stock is supposedly going down as well. Supposedly, he's had "injuries" and had a non-sprinter-like 40 yard dash.

Other guys with freakish combine measurables, who weren't in the same class on the football field as either of these guys, are having their stocks raised...

Go Mike Mamula!