Pell Grants: Truth Shows in Fin. Aid slips

Jeez must be nice to get all this stuff for free huh.  Yeah I had to go join the Marine Corps and learn how to kill people because I couldn't afford to go to college, and I didn't know about government handouts for free stuff because my guidance couselor wa inept.  But I will tell you I work hard, always have, earn damn good money and I sure the hell hate when snot nosed little punks think it is their !@#$ing right to take my money to pay for their college education because they are too !@#$ing lazy to work and go to school at the same time.  All of the other chilren in my family have multiple degrees and all of thm did it by working part time, and getting student loans that they paid back. 

Don't preach to me that you think I, via the government, owe it to you to get a degree.  !@#$ you.

70569[/snapback]

So, b/c I present a logical argument that most everyone in America abides by and thinks is worthwhile, I'm told to go reproduce with myself. Nice. And that b/c you didn't get it, no one else should. As the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. If I left everything up to my guidance counselor, the last time I thought about school would have been putting my HS diploma in the attic. My brothers went the same route as you (different branches tho), and saw the worst humanity has to offer in Bosnia and recently in countries ending in -istan. I well understand the sacrifice.

Yup, transfer payments do suck when you don't get any benefits in return. But the children in your family did all benefit and got a leg up from state and federal subsidies that the universities got for operating costs and building programs; and good for them. But don't pretend that you're the only person who pays taxes, or that yours is the only generation that paid more than it got. My forebears worked to the bone to make this a better country. I'm sure over the course of my life I'm going to pay more in than I get. It's the cost of living in the society that's set up and unless you've got a lot of lawyers, guns, and/or money it's going to be that way for a while....

I did work and go to school. Pell Grant covered a tiny percentage of the total cost after maxing out student loans that I'm now paying back, and paying my own way. You don't owe me a degree. I earned it.

Why does every topic always steer to the $2.5 trillion and that federal spending is the evil of all evils?

70562[/snapback]

Because it is. Over $8K per citizen is being spent this year. Only about $6,600 of that is actually paid for. Currently foriegn countries are financing 6% of our largess. That number is not going down.

You can continue to B word because your pet program isn't getting the funding you think it deserves, but that dog just doesn't hunt. Probably the biggest reason Tuition is what it is today is because of government involvement in the system, not in spite of it.

He who holds the key to the education system controls the future thoughts of our society. Today that is the government. We are not better for it and it will eventually mean the end of the Republic.

Keep rooting for Imperial England and that is exactly what you will end up with.

I did work and go to school. Pell Grant covered a tiny percentage of the total cost after maxing out student loans that I'm now paying back, and paying my own way. You don't owe me a degree. I earned it.

70595[/snapback]

So I don't understand your point. It sounds like you just like most anyone can get through college without Pell Grants, so why should we give them out? I would be in favor of turning pell grants into interest free loans and increasing the amount a student can get.

To me it's like getting a house with no downpayment you have no incentive, if you have to pay for your college you may take it a little more seriously. Plus just like a house no one is entitled to a college education.