WGR's self-promotion and "number one ranking"

zonabb

Besides the fact that this channel is filled with obnoxious, insecure local homers, I continue to laugh everytime I hear their shameless self-promotion about being the number one "rated" or "ranked" sports station in America. It's amazing what people will "sell" and what people will "buy" because the first time I heard that I knew it was bogus. They never tell you by who or how that came to be, do they. They don't tell it on their website either because basically, they just want you to take their word for it. It's the concept that they own a radio station and that automatically gives them credibility. Kinda like Jeremy White using his Syracuse degree as his credibility when in fact he's just some tool from rural America who thinks that having an opinion means he knows what he's talking about or can speak intelligently about a topic without shouting. Like Marv Levy says, the louder you talk the less I hear you.

Anyway, let's just look at some simple facts to dispel this ranking.

1. The Buffalo radio market is ranked 52 in terms of size. (Source: Arbitron) So these hosts who think they're so great, knowledgable and professional need to realize (and probably do) that they're in the minor leagues when compared to other markets.

2. In the fall of 2006, WGR55 ranked 8th in THIS MARKET in terms of listening share (Arbitron) behind WBEN and a bunch of music stations.

3. I was unable to find any data supporting WGR55s claim they're ranked no 1. You have to subscribe to get this data from sources such as Arbitron. However, I have a pretty good guess how that was derived. The most important issue here in any ranking of radio or television is viewers or in radio's case listeners. Then there is the share of listeners in any of a variety of ways to measure. So how could WGR55 be rated number one in the country? Could it be that they are the only sports radio station in the region and that by that, they always have 100% of the people listening to sports radio listening to their channel? One way or another, this was determined through simple analysis of data.

Also, this rank or rating was determined was definitely not determined by a survey of listeners where they were asked to rate the station for quality. There is no way that enough listeners would rank this station highly. I work in an office where sports are many people's lives and no a single one likes WGR55. Every single friend I have that is an avid sports fan hates them too.

If it was based on a survey, it was likely one question on a larger survey of local media and went something like this "When you listen to sports locally, what channel to you listen to."

Trust me, I have a degree in journalism and a masters degree in a social science. I know how the media slants things and I certainly know how surveys and data can be developed and created to make anyone be anyting they want.

When WGR bought out WNSA, they created a monopoly whereby if you want sports news or talk or boradcasts, you're forced to listen to WGR. That doesn't mean their good or anyone likes them, it just means they control the means of production!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering their "Number one listened to Sports Radio Station in the country" ranking was reported in the Buffalo News, I think they have every right to report, and even brag about it.

I find it funny that you are so insecure that you need to point out that the size of the market they work in means they are minor leaguers.

I choose to live in this city and I have a great job, are you also insinuating that my success in mitigated by the fact that I live in a "minor league" city and I couldn't cut it somewhere else?

Oh and by the way, I don't believe WGR bought out WNSA, when Adelphia folded the Empire Sports Network it also shut down the radio station, so don;t go insinuating that GR bought out the competition.

Besides the fact that this channel is filled with obnoxious, insecure local homers, I continue to laugh everytime I hear their shameless self-promotion about being the number one "rated" or "ranked" sports station in America. It's amazing what people will "sell" and what people will "buy" because the first time I heard that I knew it was bogus. They never tell you by who or how that came to be, do they. They don't tell it on their website either because basically, they just want you to take their word for it. It's the concept that they own a radio station and that automatically gives them credibility. Kinda like Jeremy White using his Syracuse degree as his credibility when in fact he's just some tool from rural America who thinks that having an opinion means he knows what he's talking about or can speak intelligently about a topic without shouting. Like Marv Levy says, the louder you talk the less I hear you.

1. The Buffalo radio market is ranked 52 in terms of size. (Source: Arbitron) So these hosts who think they're so great, knowledgable and professional need to realize (and probably do) that they're in the minor leagues when compared to other markets.

2. In the fall of 2006, WGR55 ranked 8th in THIS MARKET in terms of listening share (Arbitron) behind WBEN and a bunch of music stations.

3. I was unable to find any data supporting WGR55s claim they're ranked no 1. You have to subscribe to get this data from sources such as Arbitron. However, I have a pretty good guess how that was derived. The most important issue here in any ranking of radio or television is viewers or in radio's case listeners. Then there is the share of listeners in any of a variety of ways to measure. So how could WGR55 be rated number one in the country? Could it be that they are the only sports radio station in the region and that by that, they always have 100% of the people listening to sports radio listening to their channel? One way or another, this was determined through simple analysis of data.

Also, this rank or rating was determined was definitely not determined by a survey of listeners where they were asked to rate the station for quality. There is no way that enough listeners would rank this station highly. I work in an office where sports are many people's lives and no a single one likes WGR55. Every single friend I have that is an avid sports fan hates them too.

If it was based on a survey, it was likely one question on a larger survey of local media and went something like this "When you listen to sports locally, what channel to you listen to."

Trust me, I have a degree in journalism and a masters degree in a social science. I know how the media slants things and I certainly know how surveys and data can be developed and created to make anyone be anyting they want.

When WGR bought out WNSA, they created a monopoly whereby if you want sports news or talk or boradcasts, you're forced to listen to WGR. That doesn't mean their good or anyone likes them, it just means they control the means of production!

Although I agree with you, you are using the same logic when talking about your degrees as Jeremy White is with his Syracuse degree. I don't have a degree in either of those fields you do, but I could tell you the same thing you said. It is annoying to HAVE to listen to Schopp and the Bulldog when you want to listen to a local sports station. Thankfully, I have Sirius.

Aw lighten up, radio stations have been overstating their themes for more than 50 years. If you don't like it, smile and pass it by. if enough people have a similar opinion to yours the station will be forced to change. If you're not with the majority, .... write an enraged letter to TSW.... see what that will bring you.Presonably I find the station useful in keeping up with the Bills.

GO BILLS!!

Kinda like Jeremy White using his Syracuse degree as his credibility when in fact he's just some tool from rural America who thinks that having an opinion means he knows what he's talking about or can speak intelligently about a topic without shouting. Like Marv Levy says, the louder you talk the less I hear you.

Wow, how did I miss this little gem in your original quote. Since you seem to be trying to measure dicks with Jeremy, where is your degree from and where did you grow up, so we can rank you accordingly.

You actually sound disgruntled that you both have Journalism degrees, yet he got a job on the radio and you're relegated to bitching about him on a message board.

Considering their "Number one listened to Sports Radio Station in the country" ranking was reported in the Buffalo News, I think they have every right to report, and even brag about it.

I find it funny that you are so insecure that you need to point out that the size of the market they work in means they are minor leaguers.

I choose to live in this city and I have a great job, are you also insinuating that my success in mitigated by the fact that I live in a "minor league" city and I couldn't cut it somewhere else?

Oh and by the way, I don't believe WGR bought out WNSA, when Adelphia folded the Empire Sports Network it also shut down the radio station, so don;t go insinuating that GR bought out the competition.

You must be Mike Scoop or Paul Hamilton. You jumped all over me when I made critical comments of WG55. Come on who are you? My guess is your either Schoop, Jeremy White or one of the producers for GR.

Besides the fact that this channel is filled with obnoxious, insecure local homers, I continue to laugh everytime I hear their shameless self-promotion about being the number one "rated" or "ranked" sports station in America. It's amazing what people will "sell" and what people will "buy" because the first time I heard that I knew it was bogus.

Perhaps it's like the lump-in-the-groin claims about weather reporting. The local affiliates here in the Cincy crow continually, but dunno, maybe 3 or 4 years ago the local n'paper published a story that said that there is a company out there that - for a fee - "certifies" a station as best in accuracy.

So the bragging toned down, but in the past couple of weeks since the heat that pointed out their phoniness disappeared, one of the affiliates is again stroking themselves.

I'd like to know who decided that a tv station needed a glib, "official meteorologist" to yak about the weather... :thumbsup:

Show biz...

:thumbsup:

This is just my guess, but I think if a major sports broadcaster was given the choice between working in LA or Buffalo, he is going to pick LA, and about 20 other cities before he picks Buffalo. That (in my humble opinion), somewhat DOES infer us as minor leaguers.

Warning, Dik Smub length

Is there a ratings "expert" in the house?

:thumbsup::unsure: :unsure:

OH, wait, that'd would be me. Zona, you are right in just about every point in terms of quality and what a joke the station is. However, depending on what they actually say, they might actually be making a "legitimate" claim. By legitimate, I mean it may have been based on Arbitron data. The following is not for you, but for others who may not know what goes on with "ratings".

Torture numbers long enough, and they'll confess to anything.

I have not heard the promotion. Do they say, "rated", "ranked" or "listened to"? They are different. Do they say, "radio station" or "sports radio station"?

Ratings, (put simply, a percentage of people with a radio) are only really comparable IN market. That is, a station ( Station A) with a 2.0 rating among adults 18+ has more people listening to it than one (Station B) in the same market with a 1.2 rating. Station A might have fewer people listening to it than a station (Station X) in a bigger market with a 1.0 rating, but STATION A'S RATING WOULD STILL BE HIGHER, but that is really meaningless as a measure of total listeners, and rating are meant to compare total listenership. Ratings should not be compared cross market...but, often are.

Shares (again simply, are a percentage of people listening to the radio during a particular time period) are also an in-market measurement, but can be compared cross-markets. So, let's say Joe Blow has a show on station A from 10-11AM and that show has a 10 share among men 18-34. That means 10% of the men between the ages of 18 and 34 who are listening to the radio between 10 and 11 am, listen to Joe Blow's show (at least for some of it...let's not get detail crazy here...we already lost most of them). Since a share is a percentage of the available audience, it is more a measure of relative popularity among available listeners (rather than a statement of real listenership), they are appropriate to compare cross-market.

Torturing the numbers: Most radio stations operate 24 hours a day. But the important times are "drive times"...the morning and evening commute hours, as people are stuck in their cars and tend to listen to more radio. But, shares don't discriminate by daypart. Tammy Twit has a program on at 2am in real small market with only a few stations. Several of those stations go off the air at midnight. Twit's program attracts 50% of adults 18+, in her market, who are listening to the radio at that time. Tammy's show has a 50 share. It might have 100 listeners, but Tammy's program just might be: The Highest Ranking Radio Program in The USA!.

Also note that the "ranking" can involve different demographics (men 18-34, total listeners, Adults 18+, etc), a meshing of time periods and a grouping of radio formats...and many many "options".

The Confession: An unqualified "More" means nothing. (More than what?) An unqualified "Better" means nothing (better than what?)...same with Highest...well, you get the picture. WGR is the highest ranking sports radio station in the country" (if that's what they say) is PROBABLY, or at least very possibly, true. As Buffalo has only one station with a sports format, and as the Sabres are doing quite well, and the Bills were making some trades, and Willis was calling the beautiful women of Buffalo dogs, etc., WGR may have had a decent share during a certain ratings measurement period....a higher share than other sports stations had in their markets during the same period.

The Bottom line: These ads mean nothing. Why do we care which station is #1, or the most listened to? Do you really give a crap? I don't. And, if you do, know these claims are usually based on questionable (but "legitimate") comparisons of the data.

Learn it! Love it! Live it!

Warning, Dik Smub length

Is there a ratings "expert" in the house?

:unsure::worthy::unsure:

OH, wait, that'd would be me. Zona, you are right in just about every point in terms of quality and what a joke the station is. However, depending on what they actually say, they might actually be making a "legitimate" claim. By legitimate, I mean it may have been based on Arbitron data. The following is not for you, but for others who may not know what goes on with "ratings".

I have not heard the promotion. Do they say, "rated", "ranked" or "listened to"? They are different. Do they say, "radio station" or "sports radio station"?

Ratings, (put simply, a percentage of people with a radio) are only really comparable IN market. That is, a station ( Station A) with a 2.0 rating among adults 18+ has more people listening to it than one (Station B) in the same market with a 1.2 rating. Station A might have fewer people listening to it than a station (Station X) in a bigger market with a 1.0 rating, but STATION A'S RATING WOULD STILL BE HIGHER, but that is really meaningless as a measure of total listeners, and rating are meant to compare total listenership. Ratings should not be compared cross market...but, often are.

Shares (again simply, are a percentage of people listening to the radio during a particular time period) are also an in-market measurement, but can be compared cross-markets. So, let's say Joe Blow has a show on station A from 10-11AM and that show has a 10 share among men 18-34. That means 10% of the men between the ages of 18 and 34 who are listening to the radio between 10 and 11 am, listen to Joe Blow's show (at least for some of it...let's not get detail crazy here...we already lost most of them). Since a share is a percentage of the available audience, it is more a measure of relative popularity among available listeners (rather than a statement of real listenership), they are appropriate to compare cross-market.

Torturing the numbers: Most radio stations operate 24 hours a day. But the important times are "drive times"...the morning and evening commute hours, as people are stuck in their cars and tend to listen to more radio. But, shares don't discriminate by daypart. Tammy Twit has a program on at 2am in real small market with only a few stations. Several of those stations go off the air at midnight. Twit's program attracts 50% of adults 18+, in her market, who are listening to the radio at that time. Tammy's show has a 50 share. It might have 100 listeners, but Tammy's program just might be: The Highest Ranking Radio Program in The USA!.

Also note that the "ranking" can involve different demographics (men 18-34, total listeners, Adults 18+, etc), a meshing of time periods and a grouping of radio formats...and many many "options".

The Confession: An unqualified "More" means nothing. (More than what?) An unqualified "Better" means nothing (better than what?)...same with Highest...well, you get the picture. WGR is the highest ranking sports radio station in the country" (if that's what they say) is PROBABLY, or at least very possibly, true. As Buffalo has only one station with a sports format, and as the Sabres are doing quite well, and the Bills were making some trades, and Willis was calling the beautiful women of Buffalo dogs, etc., WGR may have had a decent share during a certain ratings measurement period....a higher share than other sports stations had in their markets during the same period.

The Bottom line: These ads mean nothing. Why do we care which station is #1, or the most listened to? Do you really give a crap? I don't. And, if you do, know these claims are usually based on questionable (but "legitimate") comparisons of the data.

Learn it! Love it! Live it!

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. :thumbsup::unsure:

Any further questions? No? Didn't think so.

/thread

That is not correct. WGR's owner, Entercom, absolutely did buy WNSA. I believe the price was $10mm, which was driven up at the time by a last minute competing bid from local owners who were planning on keeping the same sports talk format. WNSA is now Entercom owned WLKK "The Lake". So the claim that they bought ratings is absolutely legitimate, and they paid a steep price for it too.

You must be Mike Scoop or Paul Hamilton. You jumped all over me when I made critical comments of WG55. Come on who are you? My guess is your either Schoop, Jeremy White or one of the producers for GR.

I defend anyone who needs defendin' I AM................SUPERPOSTER!!!!

Just kidding. I just think GR gets ripped here a lot more than they deserve. The people there have a job to do and like many of us are told HOW to do it.

There are many people here on the board that know me, and will vouch for the fact that I am just a listener like the rest of you.

I defend anyone who needs defendin' I AM................SUPERPOSTER!!!!

Just kidding. I just think GR gets ripped here a lot more than they deserve. The people there have a job to do and like many of us are told HOW to do it.

There are many people here on the board that know me, and will vouch for the fact that I am just a listener like the rest of you.

Sabres PR, I mean WGR, has been reduced to nothing more than a bunch of glorified cheerleaders for the Sabres. I think the topic of todays morning show is "who is the hottest Sabre?," followed by the afternoon show (which Sabres penis would you touch?" Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Sabres fan myself. But, the bias they have when covering the Sabres in relation to the Bills is staggering in its blatant disregard for the seemingly outdated journalistic principle of evenhandedness.

Further, Mike Schopp is a pompous arrogant condescending prick. Now, it is possible that his producers tell him to show disdain to any callers that don't share his point of view, but that would just make a whore to his network, as well as an arrogant prick. The Bulldog is a lackey, and the show in general is a farce.

One quick stipulation: Schopp does have some sports IQ, as he can be insightful when breaking down games. However, that trait is overrided by his other obnoxious characteristics.

Sabres PR, I mean WGR, has been reduced to nothing more than a bunch of glorified cheerleaders for the Sabres. I think the topic of todays morning show is "who is the hottest Sabre?," followed by the afternoon show (which Sabres penis would you touch?" Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Sabres fan myself. But, the bias they have when covering the Sabres in relation to the Bills is staggering in its blatant disregard for the seemingly outdated journalistic principle of evenhandedness.

Further, Mike Schopp is a pompous arrogant condescending prick. Now, it is possible that his producers tell him to show disdain to any callers that don't share his point of view, but that would just make a whore to his network, as well as an arrogant prick. The Bulldog is a lackey, and the show in general is a farce.

One quick stipulation: Schopp does have some sports IQ, as he can be insightful when breaking down games. However, that trait is overrided by his other obnoxious characteristics.

...other than that though, you like them pretty much right? :thumbsup:

(Yes, I could have gone with "Tell us how you really feel")

BTW, I agree with everything you say about WGR.

This is what always kills me.... The Sabres are in first place in the NHL, they have just had one of the most exciting seasons in the teams history, they have scored over 300 goals and have 6 (and maybe 8 by the end of the weekend) 20 goal scorers, yet people are always complaining that the GR cheerleads for the Sabes. If all they did was criticize them (for what?) you would be bitching that they are too hard on the Sabres.

THEY ARE RADIO TALK SHOW HOSTS NOT JOURNALISTS!!!! Their whole job is to ENTERTAIN and talk about sports. If you want pure sports "journalism" go read the Hockey News (no Bias there)

I grew listening to Stan Baren, followed by John Murphy and then the Buldog on WBEN talking sports on One-On-One Sports. There will never (in this town or anywhere I imagine) be great sports talk like that any more.

Is Schoop arrogant? HELL YES. He drives me nuts, I used to really enjoy him on WNSA, but the audience there was different. No offense, but WGR, like most radio stations appeals to the lowest common denominator. Piss people off, they'll listen cause they hate you...make people laugh, they listen because you entertain them.

This is a new "flavor" of talk radio (not just sports) and since it sells advertising, its not going to go away.

And you do have a choice.... don't listen.... get your sports news from the internet or satelite radio

This argument, while fundamentally true, is far from reasonable.

They are a radio station...A business...They play to the listeners and look only for ratings. The Buffalo Sabres won 50 games in back-to-back seasons for the first time ever. It is possible that the '06-'07 squad is the franchise's best ever, and they are the legit favorite to win the Stanley Cup. WGR happens to provide the radio broadcast for their games. Why shouldn't they talk about them? The interest is there...This team is the talk of the town and a source of pride for all WNYers everywhere. You're criticizing a station for discussing them TOO MUCH, or being OVERLY POSITIVE about them??? I guarantee if you called today and talked about the Bills needs of a LB vs. a RB, they would engage your discussion. It's just that none of the callers want to talk about that.

The Bills have been one of the worst teams in the NFL for seven years. They are the Lions, the Cardinals, the Texans. Look it up, the records don't lie. And WGR does not have the broadcast rights to Bills games. What are they supposed to do- have Schopp and the Bulldog discuss who the Bills are going to draft for the next 3 weeks? Talk about their weight training program???

This is a Bills town through and through...If they are ever a playoff-caliber squad again, Bills fever will take over. As it is now, they dominate WGR and the Buffalo News from mid-July until January. What's the beef with the ONE sports radio show in town discussing the ONE active team in town, who has a real shot to bring the city it's first major sports crown???

This argument, while fundamentally true, is far from reasonable.

They are a radio station...A business...They play to the listeners and look only for ratings. The Buffalo Sabres won 50 games in back-to-back seasons for the first time ever. It is possible that the '06-'07 squad is the franchise's best ever, and they are the legit favorite to win the Stanley Cup. WGR happens to provide the radio broadcast for their games. Why shouldn't they talk about them? The interest is there...This team is the talk of the town and a source of pride for all WNYers everywhere. You're criticizing a station for discussing them TOO MUCH, or being OVERLY POSITIVE about them??? I guarantee if you called today and talked about the Bills needs of a LB vs. a RB, they would engage your discussion. It's just that none of the callers want to talk about that.

The Bills have been one of the worst teams in the NFL for seven years. They are the Lions, the Cardinals, the Texans. Look it up, the records don't lie. And WGR does not have the broadcast rights to Bills games. What are they supposed to do- have Schopp and the Bulldog discuss who the Bills are going to draft for the next 3 weeks? Talk about their weight training program???

This is a Bills town through and through...If they are ever a playoff-caliber squad again, Bills fever will take over. As it is now, they dominate WGR and the Buffalo News from mid-July until January. What's the beef with the ONE sports radio show in town discussing the ONE active team in town, who has a real shot to bring the city it's first major sports crown???

Great post..I don't understand what the need is to talk football every single minute of the day...and especially when you consider the fact the Bills right now are down...BIG time..

It's like in NYC...the Knicks were THE TALK of the town in the early-mid 90's...why? THEY WON...now they are an embarassment...now baseball rules the roost...think the Yankees 4 titles in 5 years in the late 90's, 2000, have anything to do with that?

This is what always kills me.... The Sabres are in first place in the NHL, they have just had one of the most exciting seasons in the teams history, they have scored over 300 goals and have 6 (and maybe 8 by the end of the weekend) 20 goal scorers, yet people are always complaining that the GR cheerleads for the Sabes. If all they did was criticize them (for what?) you would be bitching that they are too hard on the Sabres.

THEY ARE RADIO TALK SHOW HOSTS NOT JOURNALISTS!!!! Their whole job is to ENTERTAIN and talk about sports. If you want pure sports "journalism" go read the Hockey News (no Bias there)

I grew listening to Stan Baren, followed by John Murphy and then the Buldog on WBEN talking sports on One-On-One Sports. There will never (in this town or anywhere I imagine) be great sports talk like that any more.

Is Schoop arrogant? HELL YES. He drives me nuts, I used to really enjoy him on WNSA, but the audience there was different. No offense, but WGR, like most radio stations appeals to the lowest common denominator. Piss people off, they'll listen cause they hate you...make people laugh, they listen because you entertain them.

This is a new "flavor" of talk radio (not just sports) and since it sells advertising, its not going to go away.

And you do have a choice.... don't listen.... get your sports new from the internet or satelite radio

While I agree with most of your points, it is slightly arrogant to say "get your sports new from the internet or satelite [sic] radio". BROADCAST stations operate in the publics "interest convenience and necessity". One should NOT have to pay to get their info. Unfortunately, we do.

I think it is appropriate to fight against this:

most radio stations appeals to the lowest common denominator. Piss people off, they'll listen cause they hate you..

We could not listen...but then we wouldn't get our information. The state of sports talk radio is abysmal...same for TV sports now. Everything is fake confrontational. You have to espouse an extreme opinion!...no you don't.

Keep complaining. Listen less...Fight the Power!