Buffalo Sabres- The draft

How many other teams in the NHL can boast a roster of homegrown talent like this:

Year drafted / Player / Round / Overall selection

'97 Tallinder 2nd- 48

'97 Afinogenov 3rd- 69

'97 Campbell 6th- 156

'98 Kalinin 1st- 18

'98 Peters 2nd- 34

'98 Kotalik 6th- 164

'99 Miller 5th- 138

'00 Gaustad 7th- 220

'01 Roy 2nd- 32

'01 Pominville 2nd- 55

'02 Paille 1st- 20

'03 Vanek 1st- 5

'03 MacArthur 3rd- 74

'03 Paestch 7th- 202

'04 Stafford 1st- 13

That is absolutely incredible. 15 players who have made significant contributions this year who were drafted and raised in the Sabres' system. Getting Tallinder, Max, and Soupy with lower-round picks in '97 was an incredible draft. Other steals include Miller at #138, Kotalik at #164, Paestch at #202, and Gaustad at #220.

I'm not sure what other teams' rosters look like, as far as drafting and raising their own players, but the Sabres HAVE to be among the best in this category. Considering the sometimes blind luck of the hockey draft, where you are evaluating and drafting players when they are still kids, this type of success is remarkable.

Other 1st round picks on the roster or in Rochester include: Connolly (5th overall, '99, NY Islanders), Jeff Jillson (13th overall, '99, Sharks), and Zubrus (16th overall, '96, Flyers).

Drury (3rd rd, 72nd pick, Quebec Nordiques 1994) and Teppo (2nd rd, 29th pick, Winnipeg Jets 1986) were both drafted by franchises that no longer exist.

Drury (3rd rd, 72nd pick, Quebec Nordiques 1994) and Teppo (2nd rd, 29th pick, Winnipeg Jets 1986) were both drafted by franchises that no longer exist.

Gonna correct you on a technicality here, S&J -- technically, these franchises still exist in new cities -- and the 'Yotes even honor Winninpeg players -- but the teams don't.

So for example, the Ravens team is the old Browns franchise. The new Browns team is a new franchise.

The thing that stands out to me is: Only 1 Top 5 pick (Vanek)...so it is not like the Sabres had 3 straight years of having a #1, #4 and a #5 overall pick, to provide an example...that is a true testament to the Sabres scouting department and Regier.

Now the Sabres changed the scouting to all video this year (I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that)...I hope that does not change the successes the Sabres have had in the draft.

The thing that stands out to me is: Only 1 Top 5 pick (Vanek)...so it is not like the Sabres had 3 straight years of having a #1, #4 and a #5 overall pick, to provide an example...that is a true testament to the Sabres scouting department and Regier.

Like the Penguins? Fleury taken #1 overall in '03, Malkin taken #2 overall in '04, Crosby taken #1 overall in '05, and Stall taken #2 overall in '06. That was easy.

I was in Florida a few weeks ago and watched the Sabres-Panthers game on Fox Sports Florida...Between periods they listed the all time best franchise winning percentages in NHL history. The Canadiens were #1, winning something like 61% of their games, but the Sabres were #4 or #5, with an all-time franchise winning percentage of around 57%. Pretty sweet...There were only a few seasons when they were really bad...I think the guy said that the Sabres have been above .500 in 29 of their 37 seasons...

Now the Sabres changed the scouting to all video this year (I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that)...I hope that does not change the successes the Sabres have had in the draft.

YEs, that's correct. I think they still do have a few scouts doing the actual on-the-road work, but the staff size has definitely been reduced. Darcy felt like they were getting a lot more value out of the video.

Anyone else amazed that Peters was a second round pick? Especially when compared to the value the Sabres are getting from these guys respective to their draft positions:

'97 Afinogenov 3rd- 69

'97 Campbell 6th- 156

'98 Kotalik 6th- 164

'99 Miller 5th- 138

'00 Gaustad 7th- 220

'03 Paestch 7th- 202

Gonna correct you on a technicality here, S&J -- technically, these franchises still exist in new cities -- and the 'Yotes even honor Winninpeg players -- but the teams don't.

So for example, the Ravens team is the old Browns franchise. The new Browns team is a new franchise.

You are correct that the relocated team holds the history, i.e. the Carolina Hurricanes hold the Hartford Whalers' historical record. (Interestingly, there is talk that a new owner of the Hartford arena wants to bring the NHL back here; if so, I'm sure there will be a lot of pressure to get the Whalers' name and history back).

HOWEVER, the example of the Browns-Ravens isn't accurate here. The Ravens formally gave the city of Cleveland the Browns logo, history, records, etc. --- cut all ties so Cleveland could retain the Browns if they got another franchise, which they did --- and the Ravens essentially became a new franchise. It was part of the deal.

Anyone else amazed that Peters was a second round pick?

Very surprising!

I suppose that was the state of the league in 1998 though...Every team was looking for the big, punishing, power forwards who could fight through the interference and hooking to get to the net. I'm sure fighting was more of a consideration back then compared to now as well...But obviously, the Sabres liked something about Peters' game. You don't draft a guy 34th overall because you envision him playing 3 minutes a game and getting in a rumble...