(OT)Straub Brewery - St. Marys PA

The Poojer

made my annual junket up to that part of the world and made my annaul visit to the brewery for thier free tour and mass quantities of free beer! all before 11AM on a friday. Of course they only advertise the "eternal tap" open from 10-11 am, what a great thing, encouraging folks to drink in the am. If any of y'all are ever in that area that time forgot, stop into Straubs, they are a freindly bunch, and for free cold beer....it tastes pretty darn good

OK - 5 miles north.

Seems there was a glass factory in St. Mary's.  I used to travel through St. Mary's in the mid-70's (Rt. 219) heading to PSU, and recall some strong smells each time I passed through

68032[/snapback]

Yeah, that was definitely Johnsonburg. Back in the 70's it was really bad. It still stinks, but not as bad now. As far as Straub beer goes, you either love it or hate it. I love it.

as a kid we would drive through j-burg on the way to pgh for pirates games, i always wondered how people tolerated living in johnsonburg...the whole town reeked of dirty socks and sauerkraut. i used to just gag. of course, this was the 70s, and i hope for their sake it has gotten better.

and regarding straub...my summer job in college was with a natural gas company, repairing and replacing the lines. a couple of the old-timers who had developed diabetes always said straub was the only beer their docs would let them drink, because "it didn't have sugar." didn't sound right to me, but whatever...

as a kid we would drive through j-burg on the way to pgh for pirates games, i always wondered how people tolerated living in johnsonburg...the whole town reeked of dirty socks and sauerkraut.  i used to just gag.  of course, this was the 70s, and i hope for their sake it has gotten better.

and regarding straub...my summer job in college was with a natural gas company, repairing and replacing the lines.  a couple of the old-timers who had developed diabetes always said straub was the only beer their docs would let them drink, because "it didn't have sugar."  didn't sound right to me, but whatever...

68062[/snapback]

Oh man. Marched with the Grey Knights Drum + Bugle Corps for a while, when they were based in Johnsonburg. Nothing like inhaling a good lungful of that sulfurous air, then attempting to play the horn while doing your best not to puke into the mouthpiece.....

By the end of a normal practice all of us from Port were turning various shades of green, while our friends from 'burg were looking at us like "what's wrong with you guys?"

Thanks for the memories. *gulp* Scuse me, gotta run.... *urp*

When I lived in the Pgh area, I used to occasionally drink Stoney's, from Smithton PA (IIRC). For some reason, Stroh's was popular in western PA.  And Kessler's was a favored cheap whiskey.

68059[/snapback]

I thought it was the worst beer. Spent plenty of times down there. Their draft was OK.