Question for any Rock drummers out there

Helmet_hair

why do set drummers play with a crossed arm style, with the right hand striking the high-hat to the left of the drummer and left hand striking the snare drum which is in the middle or to the right of the drummer? Wouldn’t it be logical to strike the high-hat with the left hand if it’s set up to the left of him? I don’t get it!

why do set drummers play with a crossed arm style, with the right hand striking the high-hat to the left of the drummer and left hand striking the snare drum which is in the middle or to the right of the drummer? Wouldn’t it be logical to strike the high-hat with the left hand if it’s set up to the left of him? I don’t get it!

There are lots of different styles and there are drummers that use the "open-left" setup instead of the crossover. I have seen right-handed drummers set the HH close to the ride with a cabled pedal and play open-right handed. Kids will often start with the left hand open on the HH (wider stance) before the teacher "corrects" them. I think that with the traditional rock or jazz setup it is convenient (although most jazz folks use the traditional grip in lieu of the matched grip, so even that is somewhat different). It is really whatever makes you comfortable and feels smooth and natural.

I've played drums for nearly forty years. The main reason is if you're right handed you have much more strength and dexterity with your right hand/arm. In basic drumming in 4/4 time you hit the high hat on all four beats while the left hits the snare only two of the four beats. Also with the positioning of the sticks in the right hand typically being different (think chopsticks) you are able to hit the high hat from different angles which produce different sounds with the right hand. But the main reason......it just looks cooler.

or you could play the drums like kieth moon, flip the drums stick in the air and beat the crap out of your drum set, and put explosives in your drums and blow out your guitarist ears drums