Top 5 FA still available

Updated: March 12, 2007, 2:37 PM ET

The List: June among top remaining free agentsBy Eric Allen

ESPN.com

Archive

Most of the big-name free agents already have been signed, but here are five guys still on the market who could make an impact:

1. LB Cato June, Colts: Great instincts. He is a smart football player who has the talent to adapt to playing in either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

2. CB Nick Harper, Colts: He's a very good cornerback in a league that is devoid of top-flight corners right now.

3. DT Ian Scott, Bears: He's very young (25) and has shown a great deal of energy at times. He could be a disruptive force for years to come.

4. SS Ken Hamlin, Seahawks: He has the ability to anchor a defensive backfield due to his aggressiveness and his intelligence.

5. DT Robaire Smith, Titans: He's not the best defensive tackle available, but he has a lot of experience and could be a good locker room presence.

Still some good talent there...Iwould love Ian Scott, Hamlin would be nice but I don't know if we could afford or need him.

June and maybe Harper sound good to me. June would make me feel good not only about improving the linebackers and front seven, but also would take the pressure off the corners to some extent and make the transition from Clements more doable. Harper as an insurance policy, but I think ML and DJ have a lot of confidence in Greer and Youbooty.

My hope for either Branch or Okoye in the draft and belief that McCargo will contribute make me a little reluctant to go for a DT.

That's not going to happen.

I know but a feller can dream eh? Maybe we can grab June though. He has been on the market quite some time and it don't really seem as though anyone other than the NYG are showing any interest. He might come on the cheap just to sign.

I know but a feller can dream eh? Maybe we can grab June though. He has been on the market quite some time and it don't really seem as though anyone other than the NYG are showing any interest. He might come on the cheap just to sign.

I hopw we get him on the cheap and sign him for at least three years.

I would rather the Bills sign a serviceable CB at a reasonable price until we know what they have in Youboty. I would hate to see them spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a CB in this years draft with such a great need at RB,LB,DT.

And I would hate to see the Bills take a RB with the #12 pick since there seems to be some decent talent in the 2nd.

And I think#12 might be too soon to pick Patrick Willis....I mention him since I think it is required on this board to mention him when talking about LB's.

I sort of feel the same way about DT since we still don't really know what we have in McCargo. But since Tripplet isn't the long term answer and Anderson is not a stopper, I do think DT is the place the Bills have to go with their first pick.

I'd be elated if we were able to get June.

I rather give Spikes another year of rest and see if he can still play (unless the braintrust has already ruled him out).

If Spikes id gone and we draft Willis, we are better off with Ellison and Crowell as OLBs. June is no better than those guys...and Ellison, IMHO, is going to be an impact linebacker for us.

Let's not just throw money around for players just because we know their name. He's not that good.

Updated: March 12, 2007, 2:37 PM ET

The List: June among top remaining free agentsBy Eric Allen

ESPN.com

Archive

Most of the big-name free agents already have been signed, but here are five guys still on the market who could make an impact:

1. LB Cato June, Colts: Great instincts. He is a smart football player who has the talent to adapt to playing in either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

2. CB Nick Harper, Colts: He's a very good cornerback in a league that is devoid of top-flight corners right now.

3. DT Ian Scott, Bears: He's very young (25) and has shown a great deal of energy at times. He could be a disruptive force for years to come.

4. SS Ken Hamlin, Seahawks: He has the ability to anchor a defensive backfield due to his aggressiveness and his intelligence.

5. DT Robaire Smith, Titans: He's not the best defensive tackle available, but he has a lot of experience and could be a good locker room presence.

Still some good talent there...Iwould love Ian Scott, Hamlin would be nice but I don't know if we could afford or need him.

Ian Scott could be a good pickup if we don't go for a defensive tackle in the first three rounds of the draft and focus on linebacker and cornerback instead.

Isnt R. Smith DT TENN a RFA?

I think you're referring to Randy Starks, and yes he is a RFA from the Titans. I'd welcome him over re-signing Tim Anderson. Though if we do sign him it means giving up our 3rd Rounder not Baltimore's. Of course signing him would shore up a "need" I think Ian Scott be a better value and wouldn't cost us a draft pick to get him.

I think you're referring to Randy Starks, and yes he is a RFA from the Titans. I'd welcome him over re-signing Tim Anderson. Though if we do sign him it means giving up our 3rd Rounder not Baltimore's. Of course signing him would shore up a "need" I think Ian Scott be a better value and wouldn't cost us a draft pick to get him.

oh yeah my bad, i mixed him up with starks. I wouldnt want to give up any 1st day picks for him. Even if mcCargo pans out this year we still need another DT to pair with Williams as McCargo and Triplett both play the same spot right guys?

oh yeah my bad, i mixed him up with starks. I wouldnt want to give up any 1st day picks for him. Even if mcCargo pans out this year we still need another DT to pair with Williams as McCargo and Triplett both play the same spot right guys?

As things now stand yes they play the same spot. Though I remember that the Bills coaching staff was hoping McCargo could eventually play NT. I think it's possible but to me keep him at DT.