Bills '07 RB one-two-punch will be

fbzh2

How’s that for some wild speculation? Someone can make a case that J. Reed was a RB at one point playing football, and after all he did have one carry during a game late last season. That should be ample reason for some people to speculate!

:lol:

While permanently making Josh into a RB is probably ridiculous, it's really not far fetched to make him a 3rd down back, especially with Evans, Peerless and Roscoe, along with Andre Davis (if he resigns) as wideouts. He would be terrific out of the backfield, a threat to run, and he's very willing to block, much better than any of our other present RBs. I actually think it's a pretty good idea.

While permanently making Josh into a RB is probably ridiculous, it's really not far fetched to make him a 3rd down back, especially with Evans, Peerless and Roscoe, along with Andre Davis (if he resigns) as wideouts. He would be terrific out of the backfield, a threat to run, and he's very willing to block, much better than any of our other present RBs. I actually think it's a pretty good idea.

actually, that is a good point, kelly. he would be good as a 3rd down back, maybe motion him in and out of the backfield, etc. It would give a whole other facet for the defense to worry about.

Do you remember if that is what Steve F did in that one play last year. I recall that Josh had a fairly good run on that play, and it may have even been a gain for a 1st down.

Do you remember if that is what Steve F did in that one play last year. I recall that Josh had a fairly good run on that play, and it may have even been a gain for a 1st down.

Yep, you're correct, it was a 15 yard run (handoff from Losman) for a first down.

Yep, you're correct, it was a 15 yard run (handoff from Losman) for a first down.

Reed is a pounder when he gets the ball and hits the defender. Anyone know what his YAC are? (yards after a catch is a stat the NFL keeps, right?)

I think there may have been 3-4 plays with Josh in the backfield.

If he can pick-up a blitzer, and with the threat of a run, that’s something else the defenders would have to worry about on a play like that now and then.

If he can pick-up a blitzer, and with the threat of a run, that’s something else the defenders would have to worry about on a play like that now and then.

What's good about it is, like on 3rd and 2-4, you have two plays ready when you send in the third down package. If the defense has an extra DB in their package, you line him up in the backfield. If the defense has an extra LB in their package, you start him in the backfield and then send him out to line up as a wideout, getting a mismatch.

actually, that is a good point, kelly. he would be good as a 3rd down back, maybe motion him in and out of the backfield, etc. It would give a whole other facet for the defense to worry about.

I bet he'd have just as good a chance as McGahee when it came to converting 3rd and shorts.

I bet he'd have just as good a chance as McGahee when it came to converting 3rd and shorts.

That is a really, really low bar...but a lot of that can be blamed on our lack of push....

Its no surprise that the parade of RB's is coming through OBD...upgrading the line early in FA was a great move to get a vet RB--but we still draft a RB no matter who the vet is...I still keep going back to Marv's press conference before FA when he said "We are not impressed with the crop of Free Agent running backs"...Brown, Rhodes, Dillon are all upgrades to Thomas and can handle the load while a rookie learns the game and gradually works into the line-up

Reed is a great change of pace for a special play or two a game-- a pitch; some motion; a circle route down the sideline--he is also an excellent blocker -- probably could kick ass in blitz pick-up and then peel off...

What's good about it is, like on 3rd and 2-4, you have two plays ready when you send in the third down package. If the defense has an extra DB in their package, you line him up in the backfield. If the defense has an extra LB in their package, you start him in the backfield and then send him out to line up as a wideout, getting a mismatch.

Right on, bring back the HB sweep plays with Reed coming in from motion as a blocker on the OLB/DE, or HB toss to the outside lined up as a back. Brutal. You line up a tight end on that side and our RB might not get touched till ten yards down the field. I have liked this idea since it was posted - by you? - after the Miami game? So many options/mismatches. Makes me smile :censored: I wonder if Reed can throw. Not to get Mularkey here, but how about a HB pass option as well?

So many options/mismatches. Makes me smile :censored: I wonder if Reed can throw. Not to get Mularkey here, but how about a HB pass option as well?

Beat me to it ... pure Mularkey. This bunch is more likely to use a giant H back rather than a Josh Reed. Now you can get all wet about the USC running back recruit we can't seem to find a position for -- Coy Wire.