Patriots to Trade for Randy Moss?

League sources last night indicated Patriots coach Bill Belichick has long been enamored with Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss and would welcome the opportunity to bring him to Foxboro for the right price. Moss is on the block after two disappointing seasons in Oakland. The Raiders have worked on a deal that would send the mercurial wide receiver to Green Bay, with the Packers offering quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the Raiders holding out for a first-round pick, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The Packers don’t seem in much of a rush to pull the trigger, however, which has left an opening for the Pats. A source said Belichick believes he could motivate Moss to play and that he’d have the locker room support system to back him up, thanks to high-character veterans like Tom Brady, Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison, among others. ... Word out of Oakland is the 30-year-old wants to play on a contender before his career ends. The Raiders are intent on moving him following a miserable 2006 that saw him post career-worst numbers in receptions (42), yards (553), and touchdowns (three).
Boston Herald

Both ESPN and FOX SPORTS have picked up this rumour in their Rumour Central, and NFL News & Notes sections respectively. Although I tend to agree with Peter King's view:

7. I think, first of all, there's almost no chance the Raiders will trade Randy Moss. But if they do, somehow, deal him, unless it's for some ridiculous bounty of picks and/or players, I will be first in line to rip the tar out of them. Here's why.

When the Raiders dealt for Moss in 2005, they did so to give themselves the best downfield weapon in all of football ... the deep threat Al Davis had frothed to acquire for years. The Raiders didn't have the kind of quarterback who could consistently get him the ball. Kerry Collins in '05 gave way to Aaron Brooks last year, and it was laughable when Oakland people talked about Brooks last summer as though he were some sort of savior instead of the organization-killing kind of guy who just doesn't like football. (Ask anyone who's been around Brooks the last couple of years, in New Orleans and Oakland. The guy likes money, not football.) OK, so two straight frustrating seasons have left Moss unhappy. The Raiders aren't too thrilled with him either, and he turned 30 three weeks ago. But here sits Oakland now, with the first pick in the draft, and with a quarterback they're gradually coming to like a lot, JaMarcus Russell, in their sights. Russell can stand at the 20-yard line on a windless day, take one step, and fling a spiral into the end zone 80 yards away. Why on God's green earth would they ever consider trading the guy who could make such beautiful music with Russell over the next two or three years?

There was a reason the Raiders traded for Moss, and that reason was to pair him with a quarterback with a great arm. Unless Moss has told Raiders brass, "I will not try if you keep me here'' (and I'm told he has not), it's foolish to entertain any offers for him. If Russell is playing by mid-October, Moss should have a 1,400-yard, 12-touchdown season

Lastly with the Pat's addition of Wes Welker Chad Jackson (1st rd pick), Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney its not as though WR is an extremely pressing need.

A source said Belichick believes he could motivate Moss to play and that he’d have the locker room support system to back him up, thanks to high-character veterans like Tom Brady, Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison, among others. ... Word

The writer lost his credibility when he mentioned Seymour and Harrison along with high-character in the same sentence.

Harrison, a guy who takes cheap hits diving for peoples legs

Seymour, the guy stamped on an NFL player in the game and quietly paid a big fine. Of course he escaped all the scrutiny that Haynesworth got for doing the same thing, because Seymour is a high-character guy :rolleyes:

Not good for bills at least its what i think.

Actually, ironically it could be. there are a lot of if's.... BUT if the pats do give up one of their first rounders to the raiders and the raiders cut Jordon instead of paying him his bonus then this would help a potential "willis trade" The raiders would then have two first round picks, including the first overall and their second rounder (which is the 33rd pick, essentailly a late first rounder). With that in mind, maybe when push comes to shove and they have their new QB (Russel) they'll want to give him a new RB, alla Willis McGahee with their second. OR even their third, which is like a late second... like i said, lots of what ifs, but wouldn't that be funny that the Pats getting Moss could actually help the Bills! i enjoy the irony in that!

A source said Belichick believes he could motivate Moss to play and that he’d have the locker room support system to back him up, thanks to high-character veterans like Tom Brady, Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison, among others. ... Word

The writer lost his credibility when he mentioned Seymour and Harrison along with high-character in the same sentence.

Seymour, the guy stamped on an NFL player in the game and quietly paid a big fine. Of course he escaped all the scrutiny that Haynesworth got for doing the same thing, because Seymour is a high-character guy :rolleyes:

Harrison and Seymour are scum. Dirty players. When they can't win by talent, they take cheap shots. Pretty much somes up the Pats attitude as well after their elimination from the AFC championship in January.

Not good for bills at least its what i think.

Covering Moss is easy. Just bump him at the line a few times until he walks off the field because he doesn't feel like playing any more.

I'd love to see the Pats take him on. It would almost be as much fun as watching Parcells deal with TO.

:rolleyes:

What attitude?

• The on-field circus in SD after the win over the Chargers
  • The whining by Bruschi and others over the Colts getting too much glory and the Pats not getting enough respect
  • Bellycheck's arrogant attitude with Solomon Wilcots after the loss to the Colts
  • etc.

• The whining by Bruschi and others over the Colts getting too much glory and the Pats not getting enough respect
  • Bellycheck's arrogant attitude with Solomon Wilcots after the loss to the Colts
  • etc.

Which two words sums up the above best;

Ticky Tacky

or

Wishy Washy?

Harrison and Seymour are scum. Dirty players. When they can't win by talent, they take cheap shots. Pretty much somes up the Pats attitude as well after their elimination from the AFC championship in January.

I think the writer certainly showed his colours by using the word "High-Character" but I do think strong-minded veterans like Harrison and Seymour who come to work to get the job done and put an emphasis on winning by any means would stop Randy Moss from being a cancer in the locker room, because he wouldn't instantly become a respected voice. He would first have to defer to those leaders mentioned and guys like Troy Brown.

:rolleyes:

A handful of guys imitating Merriman's dumbass dance is hardly a circus.

Both news to me. Perhaps you could elaborate.