Can anyone gauge where we are

With the garanteed dollars to Kelsey, Dockery and Walker ( somewhere in $37 mill area ) do we still have money to get a couple more FA's ? Anyone got an idea how much, if any, they are considering garanteed money as cash used, amortized, or some of each? Are they considering the first garanteed year as spent cash to cap? The garanteed money has made it more difficult to figure without seeing all the details of the contract. Anyone got a good feel for what we still have?

This creative way to sign players is a risk but the only way we can play with the big boys. Your coaching staff better be correct in their analysis. I like that they are making the effort and not bringing in just second tier players. Just wondering what Marv thinks he still has in the bank.

Will this get Clumping Platlets working long hours or will it be easier because of less amortization?

With the garanteed dollars to Kelsey, Dockery and Walker ( somewhere in $37 mill area ) do we still have money to get a couple more FA's ? Anyone got an idea how much, if any, they are considering garanteed money as cash used, amortized, or some of each? Are they considering the first garanteed year as spent cash to cap? The garanteed money has made it more difficult to figure without seeing all the details of the contract. Anyone got a good feel for what we still have?

This creative way to sign players is a risk but the only way we can play with the big boys. Your coaching staff better be correct in their analysis. I like that they are making the effort and not bringing in just second tier players. Just wondering what Marv thinks he still has in the bank.

Will this get Clumping Platlets working long hours or will it be easier because of less amortization?

I remember the number $39 mil being tossed around. So I guess we are close to done ? But did that $39 mil include the subtractions of Nate and Fletch this year ? So maybe the savings there creates space for one more signing. A LB if I was going to guess.

I remember the number $39 mil being tossed around. So I guess we are close to done ? But did that $39 mil include the subtractions of Nate and Fletch this year ? So maybe the savings there creates space for one more signing. A LB if I was going to guess.

I believe it does, they were UFA so I would assume they would not affect that number. Dealing a guy like Spikes or Willis would change that number since they are on the payroll for this year right now

I believe that the bonuses are being paid out over two years.

Bingo!

Guaranteed money is not necessarily paid out as a single signing bonus anymore. Teams have been doing two-tiered bonuses and guaranteed salaries for high draft picks for a number of years now. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Dockery's guaranteed money is being spread out over three years.

Same with Kelsey.

I was thinking about this the other day. The NFL is more and more moving toward guaranteed contracts. The big enticement to free agents is guaranteed money, not the huge number over the life of the contract. Teams are spreading that guaranteed money more and more over more years of the term of the contract, and accounting for the money in the years in which it is paid, rather than pushing the cap ramifications out to future years.

The enticement to give guranteed money as signing bonuses has always been the opportunity to amortize the bonus over the term of the contract for cap purposes. But the common wisdom that been has evolving, especially for smaller market teams like the Bills, is not to leverage that accounting technique to sign more players, because it only bites you in the butt later. Rather, you account for the money in the year in which it is paid. That way, you don't find yourself in the position of having to purge players every few years to get under the cap when all of the dead cap money gets too large.

I read somewhere Marv said he had enough money for one more signing.